It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

FairyMagick HB User
Calcium Carbonate and IBS-D

Hi,
I read some place that taking calcium helps IBS-D, does anyone know if this is true? Any success stories?

Old 09-28-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Calcium Carbonate and IBS-D

Calcium does slow down the digestion and there have been many people that use it to help IBS-D that have posted here over the years and say it works for them!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
(female)

d90210 HB User

hello! thought Id share my experiences with calcium carb. with you. I first read that taking calcium supplements helped with ibs d, so, thinking all calcium was created equal...i bought one which had calcuim, vitd and magnesium...eek big mistake, i later found out that mag is super bad for D. (it cleans you out--more so) so than i went and bought some w/out the magnesium, I took it for a few days, and it seamed to "plug" me up...which i thought was great! until 2 days later it all seamed to EXPLODE out of me (worse than any other D episode) so I had give up on calcium being the answer for me, until recently, i started taking all my vitamins again (not related to the IBS-just as part of a "healthier" lifestyle) and I noticed that I had gone a whole week w/out a D episode...which never happens.. i thought maybe because I was eating healthier...but then the next week i went back to eating crap..stuff that always triggers my ibs...(not on purpose..im just a super bad dieter...hee hee) but still no ibs flare ups..how strange...then on week three I happened to be reading hte calcium bottle as I was taking some, and it is straight calcium...cheapie brand...no vitamin d, no magnesium..nothing but calcium carbonate. (which is bad for other people since you need vit d to absorb any of the calcium) but it is super for me! i havent had any "D" for almost a month now!! i guess the moral of the story is....dont give up on calcium...try a few different kinds, different brands, different doses etc. I take 2 a day at night before bed (used to have really bad d always in the mornings) hope this info is helpful!

Dani

Old 10-02-2005, 01:16 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

FairyMagick HB User

Wow thanks I think I will give it a try!

Closed Thread