It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
(male)

bcruth5 HB User
Lomotil??

I asked my doctor to let me try Lomotil for IBS-D. He refused and said their are too many side effects. He said it is really no different than Imodium. From what I have read on the internet, Lomotil seems much more potent than Imodium.

Have any of you tried Lomotil? Was your doctor reluctant to prescribe it?

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2005, 06:49 AM   #2
(male)

bcruth5 HB User
Re: Lomotil??

If anyone has tried Lomotil I would greatly appreciate your feedback!

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I have IBS-D also and have had a prescription (refillable as needed) for Lomotil for about seven years. You're right about it being stonger than Imodium. Lomotil is an Opioid and Atropine. Atropine is added to the drug to discouage recreational drug use. It comes in one strength and that is 2.5 mg. It works quite well, but if your doctor will not give you a prescription for it, you might ask him for Cholestyramine suspension. It is a powder you mix with water or juice and is very effective at stopping diarrhea for several hours. I have it, but only use it when the diarrhea is very bad, because you can not take any other medications for about six hours. This is due to the Cholestyramine blocking the stomach and intestinal tract so the other med can't be disgested. I am on Methadone for pain, so I need to be able to take it on a regular basis.

As far as side effects with Lomotil, I haven't had any at all. Apparently, if the dose is exceeded you can become quite drowsy and have nausea. There are other side effects as well, if you want to look them up.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
(male)

bcruth5 HB User

Director,

Thanks for the reply! You are so fortunate to have a doc that will prescribe a strong painkiller. I have found that Lortab, Percocet, etc. will completely eliminate my IBS. Of course, no doctor I've seen wants to Rx it.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

bcruth5: I hope you're able to get some relief for your IBS. I understand what you mean about docs not wanting to or are relunctant to precribe anything for your pain. I started with Hydrocodone for mine and went to Percosets, before going to long acting meds. Oxycontin, Duragesic Patches and now Meth. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have the medication. I would think at the very least your doctor should give you some Hydrocodone 10/325 to help with the pain.

Take care.

Old 10-22-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Unfortunately Director... I'm in the same boat.

I can't get any pain medicine...

I've been in such agonizing pain lately, too.

I've been to one of the leading GI Medical centers in my state, been to a seperate GI, a GP... and none are even remotely close to prescribing pain meds.

Even when I say, when I had my wisdom teeth out and was put on Vicodin my IBS and pain went competely away.

I was given Lomotil, but that didn't work for the diarrhea.

I've exhausted all my GI's options as far as meds go.. I could name a list of over 25.

Seems like the last logical step would be pain meds to make me able to function in society, yet no luck...

I don't know where to go from here....

Pain management docs wouldn't take my condition seriously.

Chronic functional abdominal pain and IBS-D.

You are lucky.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
(male)

bcruth5 HB User

This might make me sound mentally ill, but I have considered purposely injuring my back just to get pain meds. That is a very drastic thing, I know. But, sometimes by IBS problems make me consider the most awful alternative... People with back problems seem to get pain meds most easily. People with IBS are told to change their diet and go on.

I don't know if it is true, but I heard that Kurt Cobain, of the band Nirvana, originally started taking Heroin because it was the only thing that would help his stomach problems. He had IBS, Crohns, or something along that line.

Last edited by bcruth5; 10-22-2005 at 11:50 AM.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Bcruth, i don't think thats abnormal at all.

I told my mother the other day I wanted someone to break my arm so my pain would actually be taken seriously.

And yes, I did know that about Kurt Kobain.

I have tried.... Prevacid, Nexium, Prilosec, Lomotil, Imodium, Tofranil, Elavil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Lexapro, Levsin, Levbid, Donnatal, Donnatal Extentabs, Lotronex, Questran, Xanax, Librax... which is just what I could think of off the top of my head.

Director.... what would you do if you were in my shoes... this has been going on for so long, and i've literally not left the house more than 5 times in 9 months.

The only time I've been IBS free was when I was on Vicodin for a brief stint after my wisdom teeth were extracted.

When I read that a girl receives OxyContin for menstrual cramps, I was a little disheartened... I haven't left the house more than 5 times in 9 months!

I need pain relief soooooo bad.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey bulletinboard25: Sorry I haven't responded to you sooner, but I was out of town for a couple days. You asked my opinion as far as what you should do. You certainly been on a lot of meds with no signicant relief. As you know, I am on Methadone for my IBS pain and also normally it would constipate a "normal" person, but not me. If you can't get your doctor to prescribe an opiate med for the pain and the diarrhea, I guess the next best thing would be to slow down the diarrhea.

You've tried Lomotil without any luck. Have you tried Cholestyramine? It's a powder that you mix with water or a juice and it really plugs you up. I have it on hand for really bad days. If your doctor is reluctant or just won't prescribe even a Schedule III, like Hydrocodone, why don't you ask about this med. I have a bad case and have been on Oxycontin, 180 TID, Duragesic (Fentenyl) patches, 100 mcg every 48 hours, and now Methadone. None of these stopped the diarrhea, but the powder I just mentioned will. You might check into it and if you're having pain too, one of the Schedule II meds I mentioned are the best for it.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Closed Thread