It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #1

LonelyTraveler HB User
Red face Can an IBS attack last for days??

Hi there

Irritable Bowel Syndrome runs in my family and my mother has it really bad. The only thing is though that I did'nt think an IBS attack could last this long (3-4 days). Every IBS attack I have ever had has come about a 1/2 hour after a meal (the type of meal does'nt seem to matter at all) and I get excruciatingly painful bloating, cramping, gas and then diarrhea for hours on end. Lately, I've had runny yellow stools with lots of stringy mucous all day and my rectum is on FIRE every time I have a bowel movement!. It started with soft stools...then mushy stools and now it's just plain old diarrhea and it's lasted for 3 days so far. Is this normal? .

Thank's, Lonely Traveler

Last edited by LonelyTraveler; 11-01-2005 at 11:18 AM.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Can an IBS attack last for days??

I've had it last weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 05:22 AM   #3
(female)

Barefoot1 HB User

My attacks can also last weeks. Best thing for you to do is go on the BRAT diet (banana, rice, apple sauce, tea) or whatever foods soothe your tummy. I stick with chicken broth and rice, ginger ale (I add real ginger to it) and gradually work up to egg noodles or/and bagels (carbs settle my tummy). I also take Pepto Bismo during this time. It helps a bit.... and darkens my stool so I 'feel' I'm getting better coz my stools aren't that sickly yellow color.

Hope it passes soon!!

Barefoot

Old 11-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User

I alos have severn attacks...luckily I have narrowed mine down to steamed crabs..raw onions and spicy food...if I eat a bland diet I do not get any attacks. My attacks come on almost exactly 2 hours after a meal...start with bloating and very severe cramps...then growling in the lower abdomen. Feeling like I have to go right now...but can't it does not release until it is good and ready. The pain is almost unbearable...

I get red in the red feel sweaty and even my ears burn...then when I'm in the diarrhea mode...it is bad...I almost pass out...my husband is actually in the bathroom with me (for as long as he can stand it!) holding a cloth on my neck or forehead...I have actually have the diarrhea for a few hours and then had bleeding episodes...doc says shouldn't bleed with IBS...had a colonoscopy...found nothing..said it is IBS.

Then after the initial attack (if it was really bad) I continue to have cramps and pass blood for about 4-5 hours..then for about the next week I have a lot of mucous and tarry tools (from the blood) no more pain though. I feel drained for 1 day or so...I went to the ER 3 times from this...they always do blood work and say everything is fine...and I go home.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:13 AM   #5
(female)

MyPoorTummy HB User

I've also had them last for days at a time. My family dr tried to diagnose it as the stomach flu but I care for four small kids and no one else got it?? Come on.

Good luck! I'd strongly suggest going to the dr, I put it off for WAY too long and I'm so upset with myself that I did. I'm feeling much better now on medication.

Closed Thread