It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

Barefoot1 HB User
Can coconut help IBS-D??

Bear with me on this...

I've have IBS-D for over 10 years. Every morning my routine is at least 3 bathroom visits on a good day, and on a bad day, I can spend all day on the toilet. My bms are soft to liquid every day. Usually by night time, I'm spasming and/or D again, esp. after eating.

Now I know that certain foods will really aggrevate my tummy....raw veggies, salad, most fruit. Nuts....coconut. But, occasionally I will eat them and suffer the consequences.

Last week I bought, of all things, coconut cookies by Entermanns. Now, most products by Entermanns give me problems, so I don't know what I was thinking of when I bought not only that brand....but coconut??

Ate a few one day, was fine. Had a few the next day. And the next. And I noticed that not only was I only using the toilet once ... maybe 2x a day... my stools were formed...solid. Almost (and I apologize for be graphic) difficult to expel. And I actually feel good after a bm. Not all sweaty and crampy. AND, I actually went out of the house yesterday without taking Immodium....didn't even give it a thought!

I'm not doing anything differently. Not taking any meds. Eating the same stuff (except for the cookies).

Could it be the cookies helping me? I'm ready to buy out the store and stock up my freezer! I've bought other coconut cookies (macaroon type) before and they just ripped my tummy apart.

Any ideas??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Can coconut help IBS-D??

Coconut is a time-honored antidiarrheal remedy. I've even seen the Graedons, the pharmacist couple who publish that People's Pharmacy column in the newspaper, comment on how well coconut works for some people.

The thing that would puzzle me if I were you is, why the Entemann's & not other brands? How come it didn't give your stomach fits when it usually does? I guess I would be tempted to try some plain dehydrated coconut the next time big bad D hits. Maybe sprinkle 1/4 cup of it on your granola?

Knowing what I know about Entemann's, I can't help wonder how much actual coconut (vs. flavoring extract) was in the cookies. Oh well, whatever works.

Best wishes

Closed Thread