It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
(male)

dbirchum HB User
New to IBS - HELP!! (Gas issues esp.)

Greetings....

I am totally new to this IBS board/world, but I am here to hopefully get some answers. Up until a year and a half ago, everything seemed 'normal' with me, however, around that time, I started to get various 'stomach' issues. I was nauseous a lot (never really getting actually sick), but just plain nauseous a lot of the time. I would also get a lot of lower abdominal discomfort. I was having a lot of stomach acid issues too. As far as I can remember, I never had any BM issues at that time.

I went to my Dr. and told him my systems and he immediately said, sounds like "IBS" and that was it. He gave me a prescription for Zantac and I use that a lot if my stomach is off.

Back in September, something weird started happening to my BMs. They became totally irregular and way off schedule. The stool was just different from what it had ever been in my life. It was VERY weird, annoying, frustrating and embarrassing. I went weeks and weeks without saying anything and 'hoping' it would go away. I completely adjusted my diet - cut out greasy foods, fatty foods, most meat (they were giving me stomach problems), and also cut out caffeine, coffee, etc. This was a huge adjustment for me, but I would of done anything to get some relief. Finally, most of these symptoms subsided until mid January.

In mid-Jan, I went to the bathroom one day and had what I can best describe as violent D (sorry for being graphic). I had a lot of D for about 5 weeks or so and very frequent BMs (many were D, and others that were not, but different stool from what was once normal for me). As bad as all of this was (and trust me, in my job, this was BAD), the thing that annoyed me the most was the constant gas (not burping either.... ). I had CONSTANT gas - like every minute or so. Plus, my stomach (digestive system) always seems to be doing something – a lot of weird noise occurring in there. But, the worst thing was the extreme foul ordour. This was disgusting to myself, not to mention embarrassing. This really concerned me and drastically changed my life. I mean, as understanding as my wife is, this was too bad too tolerate for myself, let alone her. And one can only get up and walk outside at work so often during the day. This however, also caused problems as I was holding in the gas until I got away from work and it would cause a lot of stomach discomfort. However, after about a month or so of this, it went away.

So, for the past 3-4 weeks, everything has been GREAT. No gas (outside of what is normal) and no foul ordour from it and my BMs have been solid and normal occurring. I was feeling great!! I mean, I still had various stomach issues, but at least the other parts were 'normal' again.

However, that all changed again on Sunday. Around supper time, the gas started again. I mean, i couldn't stop. Frequent gas attacks and the foul ordour again. I am disgusted and very upset. And then, after 2 days of this, the D started again.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so confused and upset over this. I don't know what to do anymore and my Dr. offers NO support or relief. He just chalks it up to anxiety (which i made the mistake of once telling him years ago that i was a pretty anxious person). I know anxiety is a contributor to all of this, but now he chalks EVERYTHING up to this. I live in a small town, so going to another Dr. isn't an option right now...

Can someone help? At least offer suggestions to curb the foul gas and D? Please (thanks for anyone who took the time to read this).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: New to IBS - HELP!! (Gas issues esp.)

Could be any number of things. Best if you can scope out a good gastroenterologist in a city nearby & make an appt.

One thing w/Zantac & other acid inhibitors. They can make you prone to gut infections, as the stomach acid is the body's first line of defense.

A home remedy for stomach infections is mastic gum, which is a health food store thing. You chew it usually.

Some people when under stress do not metabolize choline well, and that gives an extremely foul, fishy type odor. There is also a genetic metabolic disorder where this occurs continuously, but your probs seem more sporadic.

Are you still off fat & caffeine & having these attacks?

Some parasitic infections run in cycles. Any foreign travel or backpacking, even water skiing in areas w/suspect water?

Best wishes.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Well, IBS does come and go sometimes for no reason we can know. I have been going thru a couple weeks of severe gas and nausea and going back to Dr. tomorrow. I still have a hard time understanding all their is about IBS as I don't think that I am that abnormal when it comes to going to the bathroom but they still say IbS. I think they just don't know.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
(male)

dbirchum HB User

Thanks guys for responding. This is a tough and difficult time for me trying to understand and figure out what the heck is going on inside of me.

Yes, i am still off the caffine (or VERY small amounts in things such as decafe tea, etc), and i try to avoid as much fat and anything greasy. I have for months now.

And, no, i haven't travelled anywhere in years. And we are in the dead of winter where i live (everything is buried under ice for months), so no water issues like that to worry about...

Any other suggestions/advice??

Old 03-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't kow but Ifeel for you cause I got no satisfaction at DRs. He still feels it is IBS because all the tests were normal but I say it has changed since i hd the tests and is worse now and not the same symptom. It is all so frustrating. He did give me Zelnorm to try and I plan to wait until I have been on the over the counter IBS Digestive for a couple days and also on the Prevacid which I have not been on for a while. Was up most of night with discomfort and felt like giant bubbles bursting in my stomach. I don't have a clue as to what to tell you. I just wish to heck we would all find a solution.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi

You really need to find a good gastro doctor. The thing with regular docs is that because the digestive system is so complicated and intense they tend to label everyone with digestive problems as having IBS. They tend to do this without proper investigations and with no empathy!!!

Alot of them cannot be bothered to look into your case and symptoms at a lengthy way they should so they tend to brush you off with meds that only work on a temp basis. Alot of people with IBS end up easing it themselves by self help and research like this. Sad when a person has to do that!!

Anyway, i do empathise with you and hopefully you can find a good gastro doc and get the treatment and advice you need.

As for the gas problem did you know that some fruit and veg can make a person prone to gas because it takes longer to digest??? Therefore start a food diary and eliminating certain foods and drinks, fro example stay away from soda and beer as this is a major gas problem.

As for the constant trips to the loo try adding more fibre to your diet, bulky food.....when a person becomes severly constipated people suffer what is called "overflow diahera" even though they may not realise they are constipated due to no pain (spelling) this is because the regular stools cant get through therefore liquid stools happens which many people think that they have loose BM. the way to clear this is to use a good laxative for 3 days. After this if constipation was a problem without you realising then it should clear you out and start fresh with your diet. This could also be the cause of your gas as the muscles cannot work properly and the air is escaping which is why it is smelling fouly due to the impacted stools.

Good luck and i hope i have made some sense for you.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

My gastro Dr. took me off all fresh fruits and veggies, dairy, red meat and alcohol. I eat only chicken, fish with rice, mashed potatoes, noodles and cooked veggies. I don't know for sure who you were talking to since your post followed mine but I have had two gastro DRs both of which have diagnosed the same thing. This one is from Stanford and the best in the area.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
(male)

dbirchum HB User

Thanks again for responding guys....I really appreciate it.

Updated: As i posted last week, this all started again last Sunday evening. Started with the FREQUENT gas and then moved into the D. The D lasted about 2 days and the gas lasted until about Wednesday. However, late Wednesday, the frequent gas stopped and i was feeling pretty good again! I had a good day on Thusday, Friday and Saturday. However, late night Saturday, I started with the FREQUENT gas again. It happened immeditaly after i had a sub sandwich (only veggies). Not sure if this caused it, but its been about 24 hours now and I have this frequent (and very sour, foul smelling gas). I can't beleive that this has started AGAIN!!! ARGH!!!! I don't know if the sub caused it, as it was very quick afterwards that it occured. Probably too quick for any diguestive issues. Plus, i eat a lot of veggie subs and never noticed an issue before.

Great idea about the food diary. I think i might do that. And no, i had NO idea fruit and veggies would cause any problems. Thats NOT good to hear, as I cut out most meat and fatty foods months ago due to my stomach problems (i also gave up beer/wine too). I still drink a lot of soda (diet, caffine free drinks) and find that they cause a bit of gas (burping), but that i can handle.

Any suggestions as to how to increase the amount of fibre into my diet (supplement-wise) i mean??

I just wish i could get rid of this constant foul smelling gas!!!!! Is this common? I mean, is VERY frequent foul smelling gas common with people on this board?? Is the hope for me soon??????????

Old 03-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
(female)

MissHelen HB User

Have your doctors tried giving you Bentyl. It works wonders for me. It gets rid of the cramps and gas. I used to take Lomotil, but that only stops the diarhea.

Old 03-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

You should probably still cut out carbonated things because even though you say you can handle it it is just adding gas to gas. it is carbon dioxide in the carbonation and that can interfere with digestion. The diary is a good idea. I don't know what meds or vitamins you are on but they can make"smells"

Old 03-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #11
(male)

dbirchum HB User

Hmmmmm Bentyl hey? Nope. I haven't even heard of it. The only thing my doctor ever gave me for this stuff was Zantac. that was a couple of years ago and that was when i was having stomach problems (i still do).

I was at the Dr. late last week and mentioned the gas issues to him again. He totally fluffed it off. Said that sometimes people are different and some people are just gassy, etc, and he basically rushed me out the office. He has NO idea how much this affects my life. Oh well.

And yeah, I guess i should cut out carbonated beverages. i guess they really don't provide a lot of good, do they??

Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I got into the GP surgery but he seems very rushing. I haven't got a chance to tell my problems, next was finished! Get out!

It is a lot of gas (like you're mentioned) and looks like diarhea or not diarhea. Waterly motions, only 2-3 times a day. Very nausea and some lower stomach cramp. Mild temperature around 37.2 - 37.5 for nearly 2 months on and off. Abcess are building up around groin and bump area. As you people didn't mention that, I wonder anyone gets that as well? How you treated?

Please let me know how do you get to solve these problems? Appreciate, thanks.

Pika.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

carbonated beverages also eat the enamel off you teeth. My suggestion for the gas is to take a Phazmye or Gas-x after you eat. Phazyme is stronger and you can get it generically. Also, Maaolox Max not Plus only Max or Pepto Bismol. There can be many reasons for gas, acid, air swallowing, indigested food and it helps to know which one you are dealing with but in the meantime these things will help. I have just stated Digestive Advantage for IBS and am getting some relief. There is also on for gas but I havent tried it. Gas is very debilitating as it messes up the whole digestive system and needs to be addressed. It affects the bowels also.

Abcesses are not part of IBS or digestive diseases that I have ever heard.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:07 AM   #14
(male)

dbirchum HB User

You are right, gas is very deblitating and can make one feel VERY uncomfortable, not to mention severly embarrased. I am just concerned as it comes for a couple of weeks at a time, and then goes for a couple of weeks at a time. Odd.

However, last night, i had the worst lower stomach cramp!! I couldn't even stand up straight. Just an insane, lower abdominal pain. it was horrible. It happen not long after a BM (very loose, just not completely D). I thought i was going to have to go to the hosipital as i was in so much pain. I have had them before (never this bad though) and they always pass in a couple of hours, so i waited it out. However, this time, i also got bad nausea with it too. so there i was, rolled up in a ball on the floor (helped with the cramp) in severe pain, EXTREMELY stomach sick, "hoping" to get sick to make me feel better. Safe to say, it was a rotten night!! Feeling quite a bit better today. Maybe about 60%.

Does that sound odd/common to anyone?

Thanks for the tips on over the counter stuff for the gas, canyondweller. I will check those out.

What about adding fiber to my diet? Suggestions?

Old 03-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think you are braver than I would be. I think I would have called 911 but I live alone and things like that scare me. try the gas products as they are all good. The Maalox Max works pretty fast but yours sounds like it was way down in the colon. Did it just go away or did you have to pass gas to get rid of it. I suppose it could have been a bad spasm and wonder if you have ever been given an antispasmotic. Sure hope it doesn't happen again. As far as fiber, everyone is different but Ithink there are ones like Citricil and others that don't cause gas or cramping. Just start slow and I think I would ask Dr. and be sure and tell him about this lastest episode.

Closed Thread