It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Dicyclomine (Bentyl) side effects?

I'm 46 and I've had chronic lower left abdominal pain for over a year. After many tests and a hysterectomy, I still have the same pain. I don't have diarrhea or constipation. My doctor thinks I have IBS and has prescribed dicyclomine. He reluctantly referred me to a gastro doc...I think he thinks it's a waste of time and money, even though there is a heavy family history of colon cancer. I haven't been to see the gastro yet, there's a long waiting list. Anyway, I've been taking this new med for four days and it doesn't take away any pain and it makes my stomach hurt and I feel weird and dizzy. Does anyone have any experience with this medication? Will the side effects go away?

Last edited by SRMom; 04-11-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
Re: Dicyclomine?

without diahrea or constipation it would be unusual to be IBS. Usually you have one or the other or alternate between the two. Have you tried a heating pad for pain. I found that worked best of anything. You don't say how old you are but if you have a family history of colon cancer you certainly should have a colonoscopy. Don't forget to tell them about this. Is there only one gastro DR. in your area? I don't think that is what this is but you may have polyps that could become malignant with your family history. I have no family history of it but I like many people have polyps removed every time I have one which is every two years now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I use my heating pad every day...but it is tough to get any work done when you are tethered to a heating pad I'm 46 years old...my mother died at 60 from colon cancer and my 78-year-old uncle just had surgery to create a new stoma, because his first stoma became too herniated and unviable.

I thought it was weird that the doctor made the IBS diagnosis without diarrhea or constipation, but he hasn't been very helpful all along. The best thing he does is give me referrals to doctors that actually may know something. I tried to talk about my medical history the other day and he actually cut me off. I guess my five minutes were up.

There are many gastro doctors here...I actually live not far from where you do Canyondweller. My insurance however, only covers three gastro docs in my town and only five in the North Bay. If I can't get into this one in a reasonable time, I'll ask for a referral to another one. I think the problem is that so many people are getting colonoscopies for preventative measures, the docs are just too busy. I'm sure I'll get in sooner though since I have pain.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am in the East Bay. Beleive me it isn't because we want those dang colonscopies. Of course I am at the age 69 where they are recommended. I put it off for a long time but finally gave in 3 years ago and they found like only 3 polyps so the Dr. said wait 3 years. Because he did not sedate me sufficiently and I screamed in pain the whole time I changed Drs. and he wanted me to go only 2 years but I waited 3 and I had like 7 polyps so it is 2 for next time. They do do them more than ever. My parents never had one. It seems like that is all they do now. I don't think my gastro dr. has ever touched me except for endo and colonoscopys. I have to endo's every year because of other problems. He does them 3 days a week from 2-6.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

You're right Canyondweller...we don't WANT the colonoscopies...lol, we just want to be cancer-free. I'm sorry you weren't sedated enough. My husband had his first scope last year. He said he woke up once and thinks it hurt, but he doesn't remember. I think they did a good job keeping him sedated...hopefully that will be the same for me. I'm such a baby...I'll probably make a big stink about not wanting to feel ANY pain.

I think I'm only going to take this Dicyclomine for a few more days, unless it starts helping my lower left abdominal pain. It is definitely giving me heartburn and still makes me a little dizzy and sensitive to light. I think it might be doing more harm than good. Anyone out there ever take this med for IBS or anything else?

Old 04-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is more commonly known as Bentyl which is an antispasmotic. I have something called Levsin which is in the same family and given for IbS. It makes my vision blurred and has somewhat of a sedative effect on the body. It is very effective for some people but because of the vision I don't take it very often and really haven't noticed a lot of help except if I am in a lot of cramping pain. I don't seem to have that anymore so haven't taken it for a long time. It is a common drug. I just made a note to ask my Dr. next week about it again. It seems to be since I have constipation that calming things done for me isn't the right way to go but maybe things are not moving because of the spasms. I feel like beating my head against a wall sometimes. I know things don't move out of my stomach fast enough so I take something to help the motility and that helps sometimes. Nothing seems to help all the time. If it is not helping with the pain then it doesn't seem like it is worth taking it. Are you sure that you are really going to the bathroom well or just going everyday. Not to get personal. LOL Keep on the gastro dr. Tell them you have pain Now, not 3 months from now.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

My official gastro appt. isn't until July, but I called my PCP office and they are going to send some of my records to hopefully get my priority moved up.

I don't mind that you asked me personal questions...I actually appreciate that you've spent time to try to help me. I would say if I had to describe my potty habits, that I go fairly normally. I go everyday and don't have any trouble. Depending on what I eat, it might be harder or softer. I did have a lot of constipation after my hysterectomy in January. It took several weeks to resolve that and I had to use Peri-Colace every day, but I am back to my normal pattern now and not using laxatives or softeners. This dicylomine (generic Bentyl) maybe has affected my pattern a little, but not really noticeably, but it for sure hasn't helped with the pain...I had one of my worst pain days yesterday.

Now that I don't have my uterus and ovaries, I'm really only guessing this pain is intestinal. I was wondering yesterday if I could be having bladder pain, only to one side and without urinary tract pain? AllI know is that after I have a BM, the pain is worse and it feels like I scraped an open wound...that's the best description I have for it. My doctors are attributing it to my healing hysterectomy, but I had this exact pain before I ever had surgery. It is very frustrating. All I can really do is take the pain meds (Vicodin) and sit with my heating pad.

Hey, thanks for listening Canyondweller...let me know how you are doing too.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is frustrating to say the least and I hope you get help soon. The other suggestiong might be to have a pelvic CT scan which can show kidneys,etc. If you had the pain before the hysterectomy it doesn't sound like it is that. Since the bladder is actually in the middle it doesn't sound like that to me but what do I know. Hopefully you will get in to see someone soon. It is not a nice way to live. I don't have any pain, just a messed up intestinal tract but glad I don't have the pain. I did have some in the beginning but the heating pad took care of it and it never came back. Mine was like menstrual cramps.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
(female)

Georgette HB User

I stopped taking Bentylol after two weeks because even though I was taking a really low dose, I felt very dizzy and like I had a constant two-drink buzz. In my opinion, it did nothing at all to help my IBS symptoms. The only good thing about it was that it seemed to improve my vision!

Old 04-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

If Bentylol is what you are talking about... Then I too have tried it. According to my GP though it is only a temporary relief, and should not be taken for any longer than 10 days to 2 weeks. I can't remember if I had any problems as a direct result of the bentylol cause I was suffering so bad at the time with all my other symptoms. All I know is after I took the bentylol for 10 days it calmed down the severe diarrhea I had for 4 months straight... but I can't directly relate the bentylol to that because I become nil by mouth about the same time i started the bentylol... and it was then I also found out I was lactose intolerant.... and it only "calmed" the diarrhea, I still suffered for months afterwards... so I don't know... LOL I just realized this post makes no sense.

I was just trying to say that my according to my GP Bentylol is for temporary - 10 to 14 days - use and should not be used any longer. Maybe some docs just differ on their views? I have been on Dicetel since then and Buscopan (Hyoscine Butylbromine?) both of which are antispasmodics as well, and neither one helped one bit. If anything, they always made me feel that much worse - not that I need anything to make me feel worse than I already feel! But I was misdiagnosed as IBS - so it makes sense that the antispasmodics do not help.

How are you feeling now SRMom? Are you still taking the Dicyclomine? Are you feeling any better? Is it possible that during the hysterectomy they "damaged" the intestines? In my thinking, that would explain the "scraping an open wound" feeling. Is your pain really low down? Is it possible it is a fissure? A fissure too would have the feeling of scraping an open wound. Ok I'm rambling. As always. I'll stop

Canyondweller - Just want to say hi, as I have not seen you active in awhile. How are you feeling?

Last edited by Angela22F; 04-13-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Thank you so much Angela for your thoughtful response...I always get emotional when people here want to help me. I'm very grateful.

Yes, I am still taking the dicyclomine (Bentylol outside the U.S.). I asked my doctor how soon I would know if it was working and he said I should know in a couple of weeks. Other than making me dizzy and have heartburn, it has done nothing to help me. If anything, I would say I lean more toward constipation...the last time I had diarrhea was because I took a laxatives after surgery, but normally I don't have that problem.

My pain is mainly located right above my pubic area, slightly to the left of the center of my abdomen, above my hysterectomy incision. I was thinking maybe I could have a hernia, but my doctor assures me that is not the case. About a fissure...well I have had small fissures in my anal area (sorry to be so graphic) before that have caused a slight bit of bleeding. Those definitely feel like scraping an open wound because that's what actually is happening. I also have a small hemorrhoid that occasionally gets irritated. Those are minor problems in comparison to this abdominal pain.

The pain I've been having is more internal and a constant ache. It hurts more at times than others and particularly after I have a bowel movement or if I've been standing for a long period of time. I've had this pain since January '05, after I was treated for a bladder infection. I've never been the same. That's why I don't think it has anything to do with my surgery, which I had in January '06.

This is very frustrating to me. I don't know much about IBS...like if you can have it without constipation or diarrhea and how I can have pain relief. I feel like my doctor is tired of my complaining...maybe that's just me, but I sense he thinks I'm making up this problem. It is hard to be in pain 24/7 for over a year, have major surgeries to try to solve the problem, to still find that nothing has worked. Is this what my life will be like from now on if I really have IBS? I look fine on the outside...my friends and family even look at me like I'm being dramatic. I walk around holding my side all the time, like I feel if I don't hold it, my guts will pop out.

Sorry for the rambling...I've had a couple of bad days. I should probably stop taking the dicyclomine...it might be making things worse. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by SRMom; 04-13-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Yeah, I am not a doctor, but I would be thinking the same - regarding the dicyclomine - if it is not helping, why take it? I took the bentylol, the dicetel and the buscopan - all with no help/relief so I stopped taking them on my own.

If I were you I would pursue/look into a digestive disorder. I am not saying this is the case - but there are alot of people who are "labelled" as IBS who really have a more serious issue. The general consensus on the digestive disorder board, is that most docs don't want to deal with us complicated cases and therefore label us IBS and shrug us off. And because of the close proximity of the female reproductive organs and the intestines, I think this is a large possibility seeing as how you still have the pain after your hyst.

Have you ever had a colonoscopy? or a barium swallow with follow through?

Again not saying this is the case, but it seems to be common around here. Doctors just shrugging people off as IBS - "Here is a name for what you have now go away!" Keep plugging away, until you get the answers you need. One of the girls on the digestive disorders spent over 9 months in agony, pursuing the doctors until they finally figured out what is ailing her, and she is only now beginning to get proper treatment. For me its been longer and I still have no relief.

And I don't mind the graphic part, lol, sometimes we need TMI to help. I am just glad my ramblings can help someone

Last edited by Angela22F; 04-13-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I'm 46 so I haven't had a routine colonoscopy yet. My doctor said I'll probably have one when I see the gastroenterologist...whenever I get there. I had a CT scan and two ultrasounds last year that showed nothing. I ended up having my hysterectomy because my PCP sent me to an OB/GYN first for this abdominal pain. They diagnosed me through laparoscopy with endometriosis, but the majority of the growths were on my right side, and my pain is on my left. Anyway, if that had been the source of my pain, I think I would be feeling better now. I'm still glad I had the hysterectomy because of how it was confusing the main problem. I had bad menstrual issues too and at least those are no longer a problem.

I do feel like I'm being shrugged off by this IBS diagnosis. I'll keep bothering him though...I'll have to because of the pain. I just hope it's nothing serious like intestinal blockage or something more serious. I don't really have anxiety over cancer...it's just the constant pain that's hard to get off my mind.

Thanks again for your input

Old 04-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Angela, thanks, going thru an OK time at the moment probably due to the fact that I went to bathroom normally for a couple days but I did have onion rings yesterday so expected a problem with gas. I could feel the gas moving thru me but as long as it is moving I am in good shape, so to speak. As long as I am not constipated things are pretty good with me. I tried something this AM that I wanted to pass along. My Dr. took me off all dairy when I was diagnosed and I know milk products always did give me gas and he said with IBS it is not just the lactic acid that gives the problem but that people with IBS are generally missing something else that gives them a problem with dairy. Certainly true for me. Well, I tried Almond milk that I got at specialty store in my area. It was delicious and am wondering if anyone else had tried it. So far everything is fine. It tasted better than milk on my cereal anyway. Didn't leave that flat taste that milk leaves. I was really impressed. You can get it a probably any good specialty grocery store. Much better than soy or rice milk. Sometimes I have to have my cereal.

Interesting the Bentyl helped someones eyes cause it says not to use if you have Glaucoma and blurred vision is a common side effect. Once a gain it just proves that we are all different.
Wonder how it helped. I think you are only supposed to take it when you are having a problem to stop the spasms.

Closed Thread