It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
(male)

The ARC HB User
Chronic Morning Diarrhea

Can't believe I'm talking about this but... Late last year I came down with a fever accompanied by diarrhea. The fever passed and I stopped having constant diarrhea after 2 days. What followed were 2 of the worst months of my life every morning around 4:00 to 5:30 I would wake up with the worst gurgling in my stomach and have small thin ribbon-like diarrhea with a foul odor, usually at least 2-3 sessions in an hour. The rest of the day I just had excessive stomach growling and discomfort, but no diarrhea (even felt a bit constipated). Multiple trips to the family physician included stool samples, occult blood tests, & a CT scan, which all came back with nothing. I then scheduled a colonoscopy, the prep was horrible and the test came back negative, but afterwards the daily diarrhea I suffered was gone and stayed gone for 7 months!!! I can only think it was the test prep of flushing my system that somehow worked.

Two weeks ago, for the first time in 7 months I had a bout of diarrhea, which led to what appears to be a relapse of whatever I had before. Chronic morning diarrhea has started again in the exact same pattern. I went to the doctor again and he suggested the system flush (same as colonoscopy prep), which I tried again, but it didn't work this time. He suggested before putting me through the series of tests again this year that I try CIPRO, for "a random shot a knocking out the problem." I'm hesitant to try this because everything I read is that it is an aggressive antibiotic that has a high incidence of causing c-diffe, which I had for a month after taking Ceftin 7 or 8 years ago.

Other than this problem I am a very healthy active 30yr old male with no other history of health problems. This problem is having a negative impact on my career and life. I take having been taking acidophilus daily for the last 9 months, Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to The ARC:
Plindroth (10-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Chronic Morning Diarrhea

AEC,
Welcome to healthboards!!

Several things I think you can try that just may help.

Every person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily for their intestines to function properly. The fiber needs to be a combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber.

The soluble fiber bulks up your stool and slows it down and the insoluble fiber causes muscle contrations that cause the digested food to move through your intestines.

I think you are intaking too much insoluble fiber-- it is made up of all fruits and veggies, nuts & seeds and the bran that is in cereals.

Soluble fiber is the inner part of grains like corn, rice, oats, barley and wheat. The inside of beans & peas. Root veggies like potatoes, carrots, beets, turnips, and of course the fiber suppements like psyllium in Metamucil. --- Citrucel, Benefiber and Fiber Choice.
This is by no means a complete list of foods.

All meats, seafood and dairy products contain no fiber. So, don't eat too much of these foods-- except the 60 grams daily of protein that you need to maintain muscle mass!!

Most people don't get enough soluble fiber in their normal diet w/o really trying a supplement.

You may be sensitive to gluten -- that is in wheat, barley, rye and to a less degree oats-- the condition is Celiac Disease--- You should be tested for this condition. It damages the villi in the small intestines and causes loose stool problems along with absorption of vital nutrients.

You could try eliminating gluten from your diet for awhile-- not easy-- wheat and barley by products are used in alot processed foods.

You mentioned Acidophilus (What brand??)--- Your friendly intestinal flora/bacteria may be out of balance and needs to be re-balanced. Acidophilus alone won't completely do the job!!
I suggest eating a good brand of yogurt 3 or 4 times daily --just 2 or 3 spoons -- I like and use Stonyfield Farm-- it is one of the best it contains 4 additional cultures including reuteri -- it is the only yogurt sold in the States that contains this Patented bacteria from Sweden. It is cultured from mother's milk -- it will help to re-colonize your small intestines. You can buy supplements that I have used that really help--- Pearls by Ezymatic Therpy, Culturelle, Reuteri by Natures Way and PB-8.
Drinking Kefir is also an excellent way to help the friendly bacteria in your intestines.

Of course there are other probiotics supplements on the market but I know these work-- because I have a problem when taking almost any 5 day or more round of an antibiotic.

You can buy these online at a very good discount.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-19-2006 at 11:32 PM.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
(male)

biomis HB User

Hi Harry (or anyone else),

In searching for "chronic morning diarrhea" I found your reply below. I have the same problem the original poster has/had: very loose stool every single morning. I usually have to go three or four times every morning, starting at around 6am up to the time I have to leave for work. I rarely if ever have to go other times of the day. I have been extremely tired, but have not lost weight. This has been going on for several months. The earliest I can get a doc appt is early September (six weeks from now).

I've tried adding fiber to my diet via foods and supplements, but that hasn't helped.

Do you know how long one has to go dairy-free or gluten-free to see a difference? Also, my brother has Crohn's and my uncle has IBS (well, he did, he had his colon removed). Of course, I'm worried that I'm about to join that list.

Finally, of course it makes little sense to change more than one variable at a time, so any recommendations on order?

Thanks.

Last edited by biomis; 07-26-2007 at 07:14 AM.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

biomis,
Welcome to healthboards!
Sorry about your problems.

Dairy products are fairly ease to cut out of your diet to see lf you are lactose intolerant-- just stop them or take the enzyme lactase to digest lactose when you eat or drink dairy.

But Gluten is in so many foods that it takes a major life changing diet to make a difference -- very difficult on a trial basis.

Having loose stools daily contributes to several problems --- loss of electrolytes and minerals than keep you from getting tired -- I am sure your Doctor will do some blood work to determine if you are anemic or other intrisic problems. No way around the wait to see your Doctor.

You may want to look up anemia -- not only the lacking Iron type but also lacking B 12.

You do have a reason to be concerned ---As you may already know -- Crohn's disease is inherited -- so if a family member has it -- there is a chance that you may have it also -- to some degree!

In the mean time before seeing your Doctor---- I suggest you try slowing the diarrhea down by taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil twice daily --after breakfast and after your evening meal.

I wish you well---Harry

Closed Thread