It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 12:12 AM   #1

ppeach HB User
Having REALLY hard time with IBS/diarrhea

Hi all!!

Have been reading lots of threads about IBS and the problems that it causes. I have been diagnosed with collagenous colitis (a build-up of collagen in the bowels), but know that I also have IBS. I used to love doing ANYTHING....going for a car rides, going out to supper, going on vacation, fairs in the summertime, ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING without any apprehension. You say let's go....I USED say when and where??

Now started with IBS symptoms about 5 years ago, and NOW it has taken over my ENTIRE life. Never had anxiety before IBS, but now I really am scared to leave the house to do just about anything. Was supposed to take my brother for surgery and had to call at 3 a.m. and tell him I just couldn't because I had my first-ever panic attack...ONLY because I was worried about having symptoms while out and not being near a bathroom. I want so badly to go to the beach, but am soooo terrified of the trip. I don't want to stop living, but how can I go on normally??

Am working very closely with my doctor to get this under control because now I NEED TO as it is taking over my life. It's just comforting to know that other people have this problem too. Nobody in my life really understands what I have been going through....it's been such a struggle. Had cancer when I was 14 years old....IBS is definitely worse.

Doctor explained that fasting can cause symptoms of diarrhea to get worse and explained the importance of eating regularly small meals. I try, but on days when I HAVE to go out in the world...I just can't eat. Symptoms are super-duper bad now...they have eased up in the past, but just struggling with this lately. Would love to start a family, but the only worry I have is not being able to do things for my child that I would want to....ALL due to my IBS symptoms. Does it ever get easier to cope with??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
(female)

kschwartz HB User
Re: Having REALLY hard time with IBS/diarrhea

I feel for you, ppeach. I have been through several doctors, who precribed me like 3 or 4 diff prescriptoin meds, and none of them completely got rid of the gas, bloating, and urgency issues. Plus there were really bad side effects for all of them. did not like. but like you, I just didn't feel like I could go on living that way, afraid to leave the house, afraid to be around people, NEVER going on trips. It's just not a fun or fulfulling way to live your life.

i foudn a product on the internet called digestrin and i've only been on it for 4 days. But it's the first time in a very long time, I've felt anything close to normal. And you mentioned a panic attack, so if your ibs symptoms are related to your anxiety, I think it might work for you too bc on the website it said that it works with the nerve cells or spasms in your brain? something like that.

But honestly, I will take this forever if i need to. It's made a huge difference for me. Good luck with everything.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #3

ppeach HB User

I am going to try that kschwartz. I'd do anything to get rid of this and have a normal life again. I am 30 years old and have had this now for 5 years. I also read about the calcium treatments that have helped some people. Doctor has me on Effexor and Asacol right now and have also tried the Pepto treatments, but nothing has worked so far. The pain I can handle....really bad cramps stink, but it's mostly the urgency that makes me crazy and never knowing when it will strike. Some days I'll be okay, but other days...watch out!!

I even had an accident on my honeymoon (how romantic is that?!?)....so no wonder people get anxiety with this disorder. I think it is very often misunderstood or shrugged off. My husband tries to be understanding about it, but I feel bad for him because he is missing out on things with me. We used to do EVERYTHING together, and some days I can't even go to the grocery store with him.

I keep praying to find something that works...and I hope for all of us that we can find some relief. Would like to know if anybody has had long-term luck with the calcium treatments??

Old 06-29-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
(female)

kschwartz HB User

Oh dear, that turns my stomach in knots what you said about your honeymoon...i am getting married in 2 months and I'm going to be on a cruise ship with my husband (to be!) for a week! I hope that this stuff continues to work even through the stress of travel and the eating lots of good vacation food. But so far I've been able to eat things (in much moderation) that I normally would stay away from.

Yeah, I feel that there is a stigma associated with IBS also. People just assume you eat like a pig or that you're just a gross person, which, for at least 3/4 of people who have it, that is the exact opposite. I actually take caltrate as well with the digestrin, and as a pair, it seems to do very well for me.

You know, the worst thing for me was always at work. I live 30 min away from my work, but i just CAN'T do it at work. I always used to have to leave for my 15 minute break to go to walmart or something. So frustrating. So i mean yeah, i totally understand your pain right now. It's just like, why us, you know?

Closed Thread