It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

acutee2 HB User
Smile Upper-ibs

Upper-ibs is when your body rejects fatty food and you throw-up, sometimes everything that you eat comes up.

I had my gallbladder problems since my sixteenth b-day last year and four months later my failing gallbladder removed and about two months after I started to recovery I developed upper-ibs with dumping.

I take seven meds every morning and I take eight throughout the day.

Is anyone else experiencing upper-ibs? Does anyone have any advice or happy ends for this problem?

Thanks,

acutee2

Last edited by acutee2; 07-30-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: Upper-ibs

There's no such thing as "upper-IBS".

IBS is a bowel disorder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 03:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

If you do a search on upper ibs you will that there are reports which claim many people who suffer from ibs also complain of heartburn along with nausea.

Ibs means irratable bowel syndrome, the syndrome means not only one symptom but a list of symptoms which can differ from patient to patient. Also it is mainly a bowel disorder but it can also affect the gut and stomach, by means of a person feeling full or excess gas in the stomach. Also any digestive or bowel disorder can also affect a persons mood, energy levels and lots more.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

I'll repeat, IBS is a bowel disorder. Sure, there are other symptoms, but the Rome Criteria doesn't list "upper IBS" and vomiting as a diagnostic marker for IBS. Also, IBS'ers do not suffer from excess gas.

Doesn't sound like IBS at all, actually. It sounds more like functional dyspepsia; I am not a doctor, so it's obviously not a diagnosis, merely my opinion.

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 08-04-2006 at 03:57 AM.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Bulletin

Nope we are no doctors or scientists

So if ibs sufferers don't suffer from excess gas, not all but research has shown that many do, then all the scientists must be wrong along with the reports and research papers.

Yes you are right it is a bowel disorder, but the bowel is also part of the digestive tract which in turns ibs can affect the digestive tract such as the stomach. hence why many people with ibs feel bloated alot of the time after eating. this is not bloatedness in the bowel, it is bloatedness in the stomach caused by ibs problems which upsets the stomach along with the bowel.

I agree though that i have never heard of any one being sick from ibs, im not saying this doesnt happen, but its just that i never knew a person could suffer from vomiting.

A search has listed the main sysmptoms of ibs as symptoms including a bloated abdomen, excess wind, nausea, vomiting and indigestion.

Are these wrong?

Last edited by moderator2; 08-04-2006 at 06:40 AM. Reason: do not post commercial websites in any way for any reason

Old 08-04-2006, 04:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

I'm basing what I'm saying on the Rome Criteria for IBS.

And the research about excess gas in IBS would tend to lean in my direction. IBS'ers don't suffer from excess gas.

I think you're lumping a lot of different functional disorders into IBS - you have to realize, there is more than one functional disorder that comes into play here... like the functional dyspepsia I mentioned. Her symptoms aren't really IBS symptoms, but probably that of dyspepsia. Also, someone complaining of abdominal/intestinal pain with no organic cause and no bowel changes does not have IBS - they would fall under the chronic functional abdominal pain category.

By in large, IBS'ers do not produce/have excess gas. I think most IBS'ers confuse the term trapped gas with excessive gas. If you really wanted to measure the source of gas, fast for 48 hours (water only), typically this would allow the gas to pass and the volume to rapidy approach zero. If there is no change in the volume being passed, the gas is from the atmosphere.

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 08-04-2006 at 04:18 AM.

Closed Thread