It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User
relentless left lower quadrant pain

I have been suffering for the past 24 hours with extreme pain in my lower left side of my tummy. My stomach in that area is extremely tender to touch and at times, the pain just brings me to my knees (or makes me stop breathing because I'm holding my breath!) I usually get severe cramps on my right side with my ibs, so this is freaking me out.

I ate mixed nuts on Saturday (a big no no for me and my tummy) and since it didn't bother me on Sunday, I had some more. Sunday night I was uncomfortable, but able to sleep. Had a few icky BMs yesterday and had some tenderness that went away as the day progressed. Right after I ate dinner, the pain started and progressively got worse during the night, so much so, that I couldn't sleep. You know that stitch you get in your side from running too much? That is what it feels like, but relentless. Doesn't go away. I have difficulty straightening up from sitting. Cannot roll over in bed without the pain grabbing me. But.... the severity of the pain is reduced a bit if I pass gas or have a BM (which at this point are frequent but a tiny amount, mostly mucus).

Tylenol/advil does nothing for the pain. Levbid nothing either. I do feel the need to pass gas/burp and am sipping ginger ale. My doctor was not in today and if I feel like this tomorrow, will definately get in to see him. But to ease my mind between now and then, does this sound like just another symptom of my IBS?

thx,
SB

Last edited by seabell; 08-29-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: relentless left lower quadrant pain

I'd say yes. I get a build up of pain and pressure that sounds similar. It can last for hours sometimes. I feel relief if I pass gas, but sometimes having a BM seems to make the pain even worse for awhile. My gut seems the most happy when my bowels aren't doing much at all (no spasms), but that isn't good either because then I get constipated and it's even worse. I've tried Miralax and Zelnorm so far. I like the Miralax better...Zelnorm caused tremendous diarrhea for me. I don't know where to go from here. I still take pain medication often (Vicodin)...it's the only thing that seems to do anything for the pain.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
(female)

Georgette HB User

Your symptoms sound a lot like diverticulosis - outpouchings in the colon, especially the descending colon, which is on the left side. It usually affects people over 50 (I'm not sure of your age). Both my father-in-law and my 35 year old friend have it. Actually my friend is going in for surgery next month. He didn't know he had it until this past winter when he doubled over in pain and ended up in the hospital because one of the pockets became inflamed. People with diverticulosis often have trouble with nuts and seeds because they get stuck in the pockets and cause a lot of problems and pain. I have a lot of pain, sometimes unbearable, on my left side too, but I have had a colonoscopy which showed that I don't have it.

Sounds like it's worth a trip to the doctor, especially if the pain started suddenly. Let us know what happens.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User

Update-went to the ER Wednesday morning because the pain just wouldn't stop, and because I was passing bloody mucus. Had numerous blood tests and a CT scan. Diagnosis: Diverticulitis. Was admitted for IV antibiodics for a few days.

Home now, feeling better.

Folks on this board rock! Thank you!

SB

Old 09-06-2006, 06:24 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

I believe I have IBS but am not sure. I have had numerous tests(CT scan, pelvic ultrasound, transvaginal ultrasound) and the doc has no idea what is wrong. I have lower left sided pain that i might have today, gone tomorrow..lol...i have been constipated all week (well not truly constipate but incomplete emptying) and last night i had the pains. It feels like a lot of pressure i guess you could say. I know that the end of the colon is on the left side and that may be the source of my pain. When i had the cT scan done, it showed that my colon was full and yet i had had a BM that day. Any suggestions anyone? I hope everyone is doing well. At least I know that the left sided pain is rather common now!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
(female)

midwestmom HB User

I have the same type of pain in my lower left side. Mine is worse when I try to sleep. Every night when I go to bed it hurts. It's been this way for about 2.5 years. I've had my gallbladder removed, that wasn't it. I've had ultrasounds, CTs & been told to up my fiber. That's it. It's 4am and I can't sleep, Again, because of this pain. I wish I knew what to do.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hi to those of you who have lower left side pain. I too, have severe pain in the lower left quadrant. I've been dealing with it for over eight years now and like some of you, have to take pain meds to be halfway comfortable.

I have been diagnoised with IBS and I am currently on Methadone for the pain. I've been on several others prior to this. To make matters worse, in the middle of all this, I had lung surgery for the removal of a large nonmaglignant mass in the upper lobe of my left lung and a smaller one in the lower lobe. I currently still suffer chest wall pain due to the surgeon cutting through many nerves in my back to get to the lung. They also had to remove (cut out) two ribs.

I guess my only advice to those of you who suffer from the IBS I do, my pain meds slow the bowels and decreases the diarrhea. I have started on Metamucil X2 a day. I also have Lomotil and if the diarrhea gets real bad, I take Clolestyramine Powder, which usually takes care of the problem. I have run the course of all the drugs used for IBS and this regiman is what seems to work the best for me. I just wanted to pass it along to those of you who may need some additional information.

Closed Thread