It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
(male)

brighama HB User
Question Bloating on empty stomach - no gas

Hi All,
For the past 8 years I have had a nearly constant feeling of very uncomfortable bloating in my abdomen. It is driving me crazy! What I eat has some effect on it, and so I tend to go hungry rather than add to the misery. I have regular bowel movements, no diarrhea, and very little gas.

I have had a gastroenterologist do a thorough physical and one of those barium scans. Everything looks normal. He says that I may have a "hypersensitive" gut, in which the nerves overreact to any stimuli.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what heck is wrong with me? Is this the same thing as IBS? What should/can I do?

Thanks very much!
Brigham

Last edited by brighama; 10-12-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Bloating on empty stomach - no gas

I would suggest you keep a food/symptom log & keep trying to find a connection with certain types of foods. If you suspect that a certain food may be contributing, eliminate it from your diet for a week or so & see how you do, then re-introduce the food & see if there is an effect. This is your basic elimination & challenge dietary strategy.

Alternatively, you might consider having some testing done for food allergies. Bloating is very common with food intolerances & allergies. If just about everything you eat sets you off, it's possible that you are intolerant to more than one major offending group.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

I agree, keep a food diary. My daughter is allergic to dairy and soy. She bloats up terribly if she has either.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
(male)

brighama HB User

OK, a food diary is a great suggestion. So what would be causing the bloating? Is the underlying cause:
1) gas,
2) inflammation,
3) hypersensitive nerves,
4) ...?

???

Closed Thread