It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

Mrs.Khan HB User
Unhappy can ibs cause bloody diarrhoea

Hi !my husband was diagnosed with ibs .he says that he starts having blood in stools along with abdominal cramping and lose stools .But i heard that blood in stools is not a feature of ibs .tell me what is true ?
One more problem !he has blood in stools when he lifts heavy weights or does any form of exercise or physical work .is this a feature of IBS ?

Old 11-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
(male)

john canuck HB User
Re: can ibs cause bloody diarrhoea

Is it bright red? If so then it is probably the result of staining (either from the diarrhea of physical straining). I personally experience it when I get very stressed (because it results in diarrhea).

So the answer is yes (if it is bright red). But I'm not a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

No, IBS does not cause bloody diarrhea; IBS might indirectly cause bleeding (hemorrhoids, etc.), but "bloody diarrhea" is not caused by IBS directly.

If you haven't been diagnosed, I would go to the doctor.

Bloody diarrhea is more a symptom of Ulcerative Colitis, Crohns, and even Microscopic Colitis.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
(female)

Wendiloy HB User

Bloody stools can be a symptom of colitis. Seems like the doctor would have known if this was the case, but, just the same, this is one disorder with that symptom.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
(male)

Perry2 HB User

Internal hemoroids can cause blood, and for some of us, as stated by John Canuck, stress leads to diahrea, which then can lead to bleeding. Diet is also a factor for me but the first time i noticed blood there was during the most stressful time in my life. I am not sure why the connection, but other people will tell you the same thing and I have been tested and found to be free of other causes.
So if the IBS is making you think bowel cancer or some other severe cause for the discomfort, that can get the stress train rolling and a whole bunch of psych related discomforts can flourish.
I have a nervous stomach, and when I though I had heart damage I had a constant stomach ache, which I attributed to the heart, and so a cycle was created. Eliminating the worry can often eliminate much of the pain.

Closed Thread