It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

CassJones HB User
What does blood in the stool look like?

This might sound like an odd one, but I'm not sure whether I have it or not ...

There are red 'bits' in the stool. But I eat a lot of tomatoes - especially sundried tomatoes - and I'm never sure if that's what it is ... If there was blood, would it look like red bits in the stool? Or would it be more liquid, floating around in the bowl separate from the stool? Would it be on the paper? Or what?

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who's experienced it or knows someone who has.

(My other IBS-like symptoms are pain - mainly left abdomen and lower back pain, wind, bloating, intermittent d, rarely c, occasional nausea, indigestion, non-cardiac chest pain and acid indigestion.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
(male)

Perry2 HB User
Re: What does blood in the stool look like?

It really sounds like bits of tomato. There are a few foods that don't fully break down, and can leave alarming bright red traces. Blood will commonly cloud the toilet water reddish. Depending where it is coming from in the bowels, it can appear as a paintlike stripe or patch on the side of a turd. Bright red is usually an indicator of bleeding well down the large intestine. I had traces from eating too much popcorn(2 movies every weekend. It kind of rasped things a bit and combined with the IBS discomforts it had me spooked so I got a fecal occult test which was negative. I recommend the test because it is simple and will help relieve your anxiety about some of the more serious bowel problems, but at the very least tinker with your diet and see what happens. Cutting breads out of my diet really helped with some of the discomfort.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2006, 03:15 AM   #3
(female)

CassJones HB User
Re: What does blood in the stool look like?

Thanks very much for that.

I am indeed having a barrage of different tests done at the moment. But everyone I see asks if I have blood in the stool and when I say 'not sure' they look at me funny ...!

Closed Thread