It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Will I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB User
Bananas

Hi there! My intestines are always in turmoil. I suffer from IBS with constipation...bad episode right now. I love bananas. They fill me and give me energy. I know they have fiber but many people tell me they can be constipating. Help! I'm trying to drink lots of water. I try not to take laxatives as much. I used to take 6 Senokot a day for me to go. Now I try to take Alophen every 4 days or so. It either really clears the system or lingers, as it is now. You can just tie a rope around my feet and I'll float. Need mucho help!

Old 12-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Bananas

Have you tried taking a water soluble fiber like Metamucil twice daily.
All fruit includiing bananas are insoluble fiber and what may help is a combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber along with lots of water daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2006, 03:00 AM   #3
(female)

bosslady HB User

quick question, does the insoluable fiber cause the air in the stomach? And what gets rid of it or basically what foods is safe whereas none is created? I've lost so much weight becaue of this fear and problem I really need answers. my job depends on it!

Old 12-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

bosslady,

Insoluble fiber from fruits like bananas, apples. pears, peaches all contain fructose sugar and produce gas during digestion.

A person's body only uses glucose so all sugars have to be converted to it for energy and normal body functions --these include lactose in dairy products, fructose in fruits, raffinose in beans and veggies and sorbitol in many foods. Sorry to say these all produce GAS to some extent.

There are alot of foods that cause intestinal gas because of the process of digestion and some researches think that producing gas is Inherited-- nothing some of us can do??

Foods like beans, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, onions, sweet potatoes are all know to produce gas.
The only starch that does not produce gas is rice because it is all absorbed in the small intestines.

I read a Mayo Clinic report that says a person accumulates 1 to 3 pints of GAS daily and passes gas 14 to 23 times daily.

I suggest you search on --- Controlling Intestinal Gas--- or just ---Intestinal Gas--
There are many sites to read about this condition!!

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 12-09-2006 at 08:05 AM.

Closed Thread