It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 07:12 AM   #1
(female)

Homegurl HB User
Discomfort under ribs...........

Not pain but like my ribs are bumping into something sometimes. Like when I am driving, I have to sit up really straight because I feel like something is pressing on my ribs. It almost feels like when I was 8mnths pregnant. I had an upper abdominal ultrasound and everything looked fine. It isn't constant, but often enough to annoy me. Sometimes I can turn a certain way and I feel like a pop right there too and it feels like my ribs rubbed against something. My doc thinks it is gas. I was wondering if anyone else here has experienced this. I was diagnosed with IBS about 5 years ago after a colonsocopy showed no reason for rectal pain and ribboned stools. I also have spastic colon symptoms too. I had an endoscopy to rule out celiac because my bloodwork was inconclusive. I don't have the big D, but do suffer from constipation and mucous. Does anyone here relate to anything I've posted?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Discomfort under ribs...........

With constipation I suggest you start taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil twice daily and drink enough water so that you become regular.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #3
(female)

jojo37 HB User

Hi I get the same symtoms with the rib thing, feels uncomfortable like something prodding or getting trapped between the ribs. Mines always on the left side. My doc thinks it could be endo, going to hospital on 31st Jan so we shall see. I do suffer with IBS too, have done since i was 21 i'm now nearly 37 so looking forward to getting to the bottom of it, hopefully !!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
(female)

desiii HB User

Could be gallblader, especially if the pain is more common on the right side. The best way to test this is to see if it's worse after eating fatty foods. And if drinking apple juice makes you feel better, then that's a pretty good sign too.

It could also be just gas. You could try gas-x to see if it helps at all.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
(female)

kasannshep HB User

there are a couple of more post on the same subject, which i have also answered to, i understand what you mean about the feeling like your ribs are banging into some thing, it does feel like when you are pregnant, mine hurts also when i have to bend down, and i tend to try and sit with a straight back, in my other posts you will see i have had lots of tests up to date, plus with this new pain under the ribs which i have never experienced before, i am having a Barium meal x-ray next week plus just had my blood taken to test liver and kidneys, i know mine is not gall bladder has mine was taken away 10 yrs ago, plus the pain is different all together , well it was for me. doctor thinks it is part of the IBS, but my other IBs syptoms have always been in the lower pelvic area and middle stomach

Kate

Old 01-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

I have been having under rib pain everyday for a year, my pain is near gallbladder and I also get in the same place on the left side, but more on the right!!

I have had scan on gallbladder come back no stones, I have had all the bowel tests all come back OK!! I do have inflammation of the duodenum, I dont know if this could cause rib pain??

I do have a under-active thyroid, one of you had your gallbladder out, what was your pain like before you had it out, did you have gall stones??

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 01-27-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
(male)

chrisc1667 HB User

I to have the pain under the ribs on the right side, havent had any tests done yet...I have had the pain for roughly 3 weeks now..on and off, more of a discomfort than anything...

So here is how my pain feels...goes to belly button, around the right side, down to leg bone, up to ribs, but as I said its more of a discomfort than anything...

The last 2 days my stool has been kinda dark, today its normal color again, but looked like there was bit of redness in it...got kinda scared...

Any ideas..............

Old 01-31-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
(female)

sickchild13 HB User
Question Re: Discomfort under ribs...........

I am only 16. I have severe stomach pains all the time. They haven't found out what it is tho. I get the same feeling about the ribs. It feels like the are poking me. It is very uncomfortable. ???????/

Old 02-01-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Where about is your rib pain???
Do you get it most days!!

Old 02-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
(female)

mlbickford HB User

I have had digestive issues for more than 15 yrs. It started with fattening dairy, once I cut that out, I was fine. As yrs went by, it became any fatty food. Now it seems that wheat/gluten may be bothering me. I have been tested and have "no known allergies". But the most troubling thing is I have a discomfort under my right rib. When I push there, it feels like something is popping in and out. I can't see it in the mirror and it isn't painful persay, but it is scary to me. I had an x-ray that came back clean and I get the results of my ultrasound in a couple of days. Anyone feel the same thing? Does it seem to be related to digestion???

Old 02-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

I too have right rib pain that comes and goes. I do have a lung disease so i'm not sure if that is contributing to it. I have had digestion problems for years also. Recently i had an ultrasound on my stomach, checking liver, pancreas, and gallbladder. They said no stones. I also have had to cut out diary and fatty foods! I feel like i have so many health problems since i have posted alot on the board. Thank goodness for this healthboard! It has helped me realize that i'm not alone. On thursday i had some blood tests to check things out. Will get results soon. I hope it tells me something.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
(female)

April46 HB User

Has there ever been an answer to this under rib pain? I had a colonoscopy, they found polyps, and the polyps were benign. The pain drives me crazy. Sometimes it feels like something is moving up and down in there. My pain is on the left side and sometimes across to the right and sometimes down, but definitely on the left. Food makes it worse. Dr thinks it's gas.. I've had the ribs for 61 years and never had the pain under them !
I'm going for an ultrasound Friday and am hoping something will show up so it can be addressed. I told the dr that IBS seems to stand for You're in Pain and We Cant Help. I am on no medication and have the diarhea.. miserable.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
(female)

April46 HB User

I can answer the question now. That discomfort under my ribs is gas. My definite diagnosis is IBS and I'm miserable. But, it's good to know I dont have a baby under those 61 year old ribs !
Dr gave me prescription for Bentyl, to take 3 times a day before meals. Took first one on Sat am. 6 hours later it started to wear off, where I could sit up on the couch. I had nausea, vomiting, cold sweats, bad runs (no cramping pain, haha) and kept falling asleep. I didnt take anymore, asked the pharmacist Sunday (we had been out of town) what to do what to do..and he said take it again, maybe it will be better. If not dont take again. I have to work, so I will wait til Memorial Day Sat and see if I ruin Saturday again !
I was so miserable ! I hate this stuff so much ! rant rant

Closed Thread