It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User
Librax, is it a safe drug, addiction/withdrawal potential ?

I take 4 librax a day for IBS, and I also have Gerd, and I take 80 mg of Prilosec for that. It's the LIbrax I'm concerned with. I would like to hear from those that have/or that are taking it, what is the addiction/ withdrawal potential for this drug ?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
(female)

blaize20 HB User
Re: Librax, is it a safe drug, addiction/withdrawal potential ?

Librax is not a safe drug!! I was on it for a year 2-3 times a day and I am having horrible withdrawal symptoms including heart racing!!! I would not recommend this as it caused more problems with my health than what I started out with!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Librax is a combination drug consisting of Librium plus an anti-spastic drug.

I was on Librax for a short time many years ago and then was on Librium for 20+ years. I finally decided I was addicted to Librium even tho doctors kept telling me I was not. I could not get off of it, always went into withdrawal.

Truth is that I WAS addicted to just 5 mg. Librium daily. Every time I tried to wean off over a 2-week period of time according to doctor's instructions I went into withdrawal and was back on Librium full time. I finally got off by reducing Librium by one pill a week for 6 weeks, then omit another pill (spaced out) for another 6 weeks, etc. Finally got the last pill stretched out for 6 weeks and then did not have withdrawal. It takes about 6 weeks for the body to adjust to the reduced amount of Librium. Took a long time to get off of Librium but it was well worth it. Amazing how clear intersections were after I was off Librium, and I thought I was just fine while taking it, driving was no problem. Boy was I wrong!

I am faced needing help with IBS and just know when I see the doctor on Tuesday he will suggest Librax and I am going to drag my feet. If my diagnosis is IBS I plan on using a strict diet way of bringing it back under control. I have been searching alternative treatments and it seems that a diet of soluible fiber and probiotics is suppose to help get the digestive system back to working normal. I am also diabetic and foods good for the soluible diet is not good for diabetes (control via diet/exercise only, no meds).

Last edited by Misty800; 03-16-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
(female)

bellyblues HB User

Librax belongs to the class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Other drugs in this class are Xanax, Ativan, and Klonopin. They are all HIGHLY addictive and require close supervision to withdrawl from safely.

Anyone taking a benzo for 20 years would most likely experience a pretty brutal withdrawl, despite the low dosage. I took rather large amounts of Xanax for almost 3 years and had to be hospitalized to withdrawl. It's a very serious matter and if done improperly, can result in tremendous rebound anxiety, heart palpitations, seizures, and worse.

Closed Thread