It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Joint pain with IBS?? Anyone have this?

I've been having pain in my lower back, flank, abdomen and pelvic area for over a year. I've had many tests that are all normal. Doc. thinks I have IBS, as I also have diarrhea a lot. Now I am having joint pain in my arms and legs. All tests are normal. Does anyone else have this?

Old 01-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
(female)

Jade001 HB User
Re: Joint pain with IBS?? Anyone have this?

Sounds like me. What is your age range? I am in my early 40's although I have have had chronic lower back pain for the last 4 plus years, I never really thought about it associated with IBS. Have you read somewhere where that is a symptom? As far as joint pain, I don't have that so much but I get stiff every now and then, but again, I really haven't heard that as being a symptom of IBS, but, I guess anything is possible. I could sure use a list of what symptoms can go along with IBS besides the obvious ones. Hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

I am 35. I go to a certain website and put in my symptoms including joint pain, and it comes up with IBS as a diagnosis. Also, just type joint pain and whatever your stomach symptoms (mines the big D along with the pain) and it comes up with IBS.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

kasannshep HB User

so glad i read this post too, about joint pain, which i have also, i too would love to know just what the long list of the symptoms are for IBS, went out shopping with the daughter today, and could have cried with the pain in the lower back, just after 20 Min's starting out, also neck pain and in the joints most of the time, though doc said this was arthritis, maybe is, but i am sure the lower back pain is due to the IBS.

kate

Old 02-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
(female)

outoffocus HB User

I have had IBS for about 8 years and was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and another connective tissue disorder. Apparently IBS is often a component of Fibromyalgia, one of the first to develop (it definitely was for me). If the joint pain is interfering with your life and functionality, it might be worth seeing a rheumatologist to see if you have Fibromyalgia or a related syndrome. Just my two cents!

Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Evie4 HB User

My IBS is cyclic, before my period. I have had it over 10 years now. The lower back pain is a regular symptom for me during that 7-10 days before my period. My back tightens so badly I have to stretch it many times a day and sometimes I can acutally hear it snap. Stretching feels so good even though it is very sore. I can't sleep on my stomach anymore because of it.

I find at times my hip joints ache and are sore. I suspect this could be like another poster mentioned a symptom of fibromyalgia, but it isn't bad enough for me to complain to the doctor just yet.

Another major symptom for me is painful colon spasming. I have to take medication for that or I won't be able to get out of bed and go to work. Downside is the medicine makes me very tired, however, it does double duty by keeping distention and indigestion/heartburn under control. I am very careful about what I eat during this time, staying away from gas producing foods. I find there are certain foods that totally turn me off when I have IBS. I tend to crave seafood and get grossed out by chicken. Weird.

I'm sure I have PMS along with my IBS. I feel irritable, I have to tell my husband not to rough house with dog in the same room with me because the stress of the noise goes straight to my gut and my colon starts freaking out. I'm hoping, like my MIL, this will just go away when I get older.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
(female)

fluff563 HB User

Joint pain w/IBS generally indicates IBD. Check with your doctor, especially if you're in the mid-40's. (My mom just had this diagnosed after having IBS for years)

Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff563 View Post
Joint pain w/IBS generally indicates IBD. Check with your doctor, especially if you're in the mid-40's. (My mom just had this diagnosed after having IBS for years)

What is IBD? Is it serious?

Closed Thread