It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

Jade001 HB User
What symptoms do you feel with flare ups?

I'm just wondering how you feel when your IBS is bothering you and what do you take or do about it? I have IBS, and I experience minor nausea at times. anxiety-maybe, mostly just a not feeling that great kind of symptom and I'm not sure if that is part of IBS or not. Any comments would be appreciated!

Jade

Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
(female)

maya47 HB User
Re: What symptoms do you feel with flare ups?

I also have IBS with minor nausea, although I refer to it as queasy stomach, which lately I seem to have all the time. I go from regular bowel movements for a while to watery diarrhea, which sometimes can come 25 minutes after I have a regular BM.
Do you or anyone else have the queasy/nausea feeling much of the time? I am really fearful of stomach cancer but it might be my anxiety (and I have plenty of that) taking over.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
(female)

Jade001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya47 View Post
I also have IBS with minor nausea, although I refer to it as queasy stomach, which lately I seem to have all the time. I go from regular bowel movements for a while to watery diarrhea, which sometimes can come 25 minutes after I have a regular BM.
Do you or anyone else have the queasy/nausea feeling much of the time? I am really fearful of stomach cancer but it might be my anxiety (and I have plenty of that) taking over.
I don't know if I would say "much" of the time, but I do get that way occassionally. I also know that anxiety can make you feel that way too. Do a symptom search on the internet and maybe that will help you. May I ask your age range? Hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
(female)

glowycloey HB User
Wink Re: What symptoms do you feel with flare ups?

I have severe pain on my left side usually lower, but sometimes from under my rib cage all the way down. Usually my worst flare ups are always at work just after lunch. I haven't figured out if it because I am just sitting down after my meal or if work causes me more anxiety then usual. Mystomach will get huge (5 mths pregnant) I have a flat stomach so it is very noticeable,and I also get really bad gas and lots of it. I have had to leave work because the cramping is so severe that its hard to just breathe. I am on a antidepressant and have been for 9 years, obviously it is not helping my IBS symptoms. I've always tried to cure the IBS by going to see naturalpaths and through diet, but nothing works for long if at all. I finally decided that I need real medication if I want to have any sort of normal life. Soooo my doctor prescribed Buscapan and it works It also will help me when I ovulate and when I have menustral cramps, and this is usually when my IBS is at its worst. SO far so good. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
(female)

maya47 HB User

I am 59, have been diagnosed with IBS for about 2 years after all sorts of tests ruled out the bad stuff (as if IBS isn't bad enough!). I just got over a bout of the stomach flu with vomiting and diarrhea and that was no picnic as I had no idea that the onset was anything more than normal flare-up of the IBS. But this had vomiting, which I haven't done in 20 years, and a fever so it was definitely the thing that's been going around here. I now am also having light-colored stool, so who knows...there are lots of things including gallbladder disease that can cause that. Well, it's off to the gastroenterologist on Monday for an appointment I made because of the queasy stomach feeling before the stomach bug. What a life!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
(female)

eilla HB User
Unhappy Re: What symptoms do you feel with flare ups?

I am 36. I understand what you are talking about. I have the nausea/queasiness whenever I have a flare up of IBS and especially before my period. I have anxiety attacks associated with all my symtoms and have never gotten any answers or relief. Sometimes I am nauseated on and off for a few weeks and nothing I eat sits well and my intestines are what I like to call "****** off"
I have been tested for "everything" and it's IBS. It has a distinct pattern so I know the difference between that and a stomach bug....but ONLY after the fact. I never vomit from IBS but I feel like I'm going to. To my anxious mind I'm always wondering what virus I have!
I also have a BM then 25-30 minutes later it will be like liquid. I know when the looser stool is coming because I won't have the relief if it was normal. I'll still feel that "unsettled" feeling in my stomach, that pressure on the left. I get left side pain/pressure/gas/bloating and indigestion. It's so much worse when I ovulate and then a few days before I get the period.
What's most frustrating for me is that I'm an emetophobic (fear of vomiting) so I always panic over this even when it's IBS 99.9% of the time.
I can't sleep when I have "nausea" at all.
I have tried to learn to determine TRUE nausea from the unsettled kind due to the IBS. BUT, when the hormones are raging or a bug is going around I can't be logical. Then the anxiety causes more nausea. It's me being my own worst enemy!! And I take an anti-anxiety med already!!! But it's like I never took it once these symptoms start!! I will look up the Buscapan....I never heard of it.
I decided to write in because I feel like this right now and my period is due in a few days. I was looking for answers online once again!
Hope you all feel better and find answers that work for you!!!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
(female)

eilla HB User

Hi Me again. I forgot to say that I was on Levsin for many years which helped with the cramping. I'd take it at work and it would lessen the feeling of impending diarrhea. But unless I took Immodium, the Levsin did nothing for the loose BM. The only side effect I had was VERY dry mouth. I had to get off that cycle of using Immodium because I was getting constipated. Then I got pregnanat and had 9 + months of NO diarrhea or constipation.
But it's back
I also purchased a book called the IBS Cookbook which has some tips in the beginning. I especially like the part "what to eat when you can't eat anything" I never realized a big trigger was not eating. I'd feel nauseous and frustrated by food so I'd skip a meal and all the air and movement of my stomach growling increased my intestinal activity. The author recommended pretzels (no fat variety) Honeycomb or Rice Chex cereal and some of her recipes (which were all pretty easy...I'm a little lazy though TBO!!!)

Old 02-10-2007, 03:10 AM   #8
(female)

nc2007 HB User
Smile Re: What symptoms do you feel with flare ups?

Hi, I was diagnosed about 3 yeas ago. I personally don't find any medication I have tried really helps. At the moment I'm drinking Aloe Vera juice and taking Peppermint Oil.
I generally don't get nausea but I do get almost like sweats and a severe cramping in my stomach.
I do not know what sets me off. MacDonalds does definately(hope I can put that her). Also, onions and spicy food but not sure about the other stuff. Some days I have it bad & didn't eat any of those. Stress is def a HUGE factor for me.
I wanted to rely because I also had no symptoms durin my last pregnancy. It was lovely, however my daughter is 18 months now and the symptoms are gradually worsening. So I would say I had just over a year with nothing.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
(female)

eilla HB User

Yes, me too. My symptoms are worsening again as well. I feel like I'm going backwards
My daughter is 14 1/2 months. Even post partum IBS didn't return right away. Then it started, wasn't bad, very few flare ups, very little PMS. But each month for the past few I can feel all the same things flaring with my IBS (I had forgotten LOL!!!!)
I wonder why I can't find any info as to why and how hormones factor in. Only vague stuff like "yes, it can casue IBS" My mom told me she had problems with IBS that didn't come back ever after she had two babies. I guess I was hoping I'd be so lucky!!!
I wonder what it was that kept us OK during pregnancy? Was it HCG or the other hormones? If I could avoid the nausea, I'd gladly take a pill of that!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

I also get the left siided pain, on the lower siide. I also have the incomplete emyptying feeling. Have any of you ever had mid right side pain, like underr the ribs? I had that the other night and it made me a little nervous, but then it went away. I know iti s not gallbladder, i eat low fat and it goes away, no indigestion, etc...Oh and i am also EXTREMELY gassy no matter what i eat. HTH

Closed Thread