It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User
The IBS/PMS Connection

I'm sure some of you gals can relate to my situation. I've always had cyclic IBS: urgent need to have a bowel movement prior to my period, constipation afterward. Since it was only a few days out of the month I could deal. However, since I've hit my 30s, things have gone haywire. My bowel movements start getting out of control about 10 days prior to my period. Take today for example. I had a massive bowel movement (I'm talking fill the toilet) and I didn't even eat that much yesterday. I also tend to lose my appetite during the stretch of time. Plus, my period's not due for 9 or 10 days. This will probably continue for the next week with some diarrhea mixed in at the end of the (sorry to be so crude) gut explosion. The only good thing is I no longer get the constipation part. Anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know if there is a definitive connection between hormones and IBS? I am experiencing a host of other problems lately that I'm convinced are hormone related and I'm wondering if birth control pills might help with the IBS as well as my other symptoms? Any of you had success with BCPs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
(female)

Georgette HB User
Re: The IBS/PMS Connection

I always get horrible pains midcycle, right in the same place that hurts just before explosive diarrhea. So I am currently in the process of examining the female organ/hormonal connection to IBS. Tomorrow I have an ultrasound which I have tried to schedule for midcycle, and I think I scheduled right because I am feeling pain already (sucks to have to hope that I will be in pain, but it's the only way to get an answer, I guess). I am considering, depending on the outcome of this ultrasound, possibly going on BCPs in the hope that it is related to my hormones and therefore might get them under control.

Since I was a teenager, before I had IBS symptoms, my period would always trigger a bowel movement. Even if I had gone to the bathroom earlier in the day, the minute my period started I would have to go again. And now I have urgency and diarrhea during my period.

BTW, don't worry about sounding crude - we're all in the same boat around here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

Hi Georgette, Will you please keep me updated on your results and progress? I swear that the stools I expelled yesterday, combined, were in excess of 24 inches. And again, I am not eating a whole lot. I don't know where it all comes from! The rest of the month I have small, normal bowel movements. It would be wonderful if BCPs could help the both of us.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
(female)

desiii HB User

Hormones can be a major factor, no question. I've noticed drastic changes to my guts depending on what my hormones are doing. The pill can help, so it may be worth a try. For me personally, it's excess estrogen in my system that causes most of my ongoing health problems. So adding the pill just made things worse. But that's not the case for everyone.

Unfortunately, doctors know about as much about hormones as they do about bowel disorders (basically nothing!). So it's a matter of trial and error, and maybe seeking a good naturopath or homeopath for assistance.

But hey, at least we get a solid warning that Aunt Flow is on the way, huh?

Old 02-04-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
(female)

Georgette HB User

So I had my pelvic ultrasound yesterday, and I mentioned my IBS problems to the tech as well, and at one point during the test I groaned and she asked if it hurt and I told her it's just the IBS symptoms, not particularly anything she was doing, and then she said she was looking at my intestines at that moment. Of course you're not supposed to ask the tech any questions, so I didn't, but I thought it was strange that during a pelvic u/s she would be looking at my intestines. Any other time I have had an u/s they only looked at what was on the request. So I'm wondering (more like hoping) maybe she saw something and took pictures of it anyway. My follow-up isn't until Feb. 20.

Closed Thread