It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
(male)

smyrnaboy HB User
A Man's IBS Tale

I am 33, 5'11", 174 lbs. and have been suffering from IBS since my mid-20s.

It is always worse in the morning, and always worse after a night of having consumed anything that is not perfectly healthy or perfectly portioned. Alcohol, regardless of the quantity, has always made it worse. Caffeine, particularly coffee, is a bad trigger.

It has never awakened me, and calms as the evening draws near, normally, and not ironically, when I leave the office and head home to more calm environs.

On the contrary, within seconds of waking up, and getting ready to face the day, it kicks in. The cramping starts, usually right side under my rib cage, and I am lucky to make it to the shower before I have explosive diarrhea. Usually loose stool, somewhere between normal and totally watery.

If I do make it to work before this happens, and somehow stave it off at home, it is likely to strike again as I fire up the computer, as I am getting ready to check both my voicemail and e-mail.

Again, not ironically, if I make it to the afternoon without an attack, I normally don't have an attack. I think this because I have made it through most of my day, and know what the day holds.

The rare times when I make it 1-2 days in a row without the attacks, I have had wonderful, "normal" bowel movements. Perfectly formed, not foul-smelling, the works.

I know that this is IBS. It starts in my mind, when I think about stressful things, and then within seconds manifests itself with symptoms.

I admittedly don't drink enough water, don't eat enough fiber, and at times eat like a child.

I also wonder if being on prescription and OTC medications for bad seasonal allergies are also triggers.

I want this to end. I'll try anything to break this cycle. It's as if the more I think about it, the more it is likely to happen. It is as predictable as the sun rising and setting.

I also want others to realize that this is not a female problem.

I am a successfull person, financially, professionally and personally, with a beautiful wife and family. But I am also in a very high stress and demanding job, with very real issues and risks on a daily basis.

I appreciate any insight-thanks for your time.

Last edited by smyrnaboy; 02-13-2007 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Put More Info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: A Man's IBS Tale

Hi SB,

Sounds like you have plenty of insight, yourself, into causation. Which is a *great* starting point.

On the factual side, did you know that the gut is the major location of neurotransmitter manufacture? That is one reason why so many IBS sufferers are prone to stress flaring.

Have you tried or considered anything that might improve your situation? -- Assuming that you, like most of us would rather not suffer as you are.

Best wishes.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
(female)

fibro-worn HB Userfibro-worn HB User

I also am like you stress makes it all worse and when i am going to work or having to attend a meeting i get worse. I have sarted taking a product called Digestive Advantage irritable bowel syndrome in the drugstore or at Wal mart in the section with the bowel products. Chew one tablet a day and it has helped alot i also have read other people have had good results with this. I also had trouble when ever i ate out and was nervous about finding a bathroom all the time. Good luck and hope this could help you.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

auxano HB User

I wonder if taking something natural like "Rescue Remedy" would help you to stay calm and thus starve off an attack?

Old 02-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
(male)

AskYourDr HB User

I have had IBS symptoms for about three years now. For about a year, I had a job where I was working from home. Things were great: gas, BMs were regular, hardly any problems.

Now I started a new job with a 1 hour commute. Every morning I get cramps and if I don't have two BMs, I get panic attacks that I'm going to go in my car. I usually have nausea during my commute and things start to subside throughout the day. By the time I get home, I wonder what the big deal was all about...

Throughout the day, I could have as many as five BMs. Sometimes I get really bad gas I have to get up off my chair at least three times an hour. I usually need to make a BM after meals.

It has been wreaking havoc on my life. I can't go into a meeting without taking simethicone or Imodium.

I've been taking Culturelle for some time and I feel that it has helped greatly (it used to be much worse.)

Due to this new change, I'm starting to take Psyllium husk supplements again. I stopped taking them before because I didn't feel like they helped that much. I've also started doing acupuncture (the jury is out on that so far).

It's really only gotten worse since I started my new job. That is why I'm heavily suspicious about the mental aspect of this disease. If so, there has to be an answer to this problem and I'm determined to make things better.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Good luck in finding an answer to your bowel problems.Ive had IBS since i was 16 ,im now 50.Still havent found anything to help me deal with it.I do notice that when im not stressed the symptoms are practically non-existent.Its only happens mostly when im nervous and ready to go out.Everywhere i go i have to scope out where the bathrooms are.Very depressing,distressing problem.Take care .

Closed Thread