It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
(male)

smyrnaboy HB User
WARNING-Probiotics

In an attempt to regulate my recent IBS flare-ups, I tried a yogurt brand enhanced with probiotics (I will not mention the brand).

Rather than ease my discomfort, it accelerated it. Within 15-20 minutes of eating this product, I felt nauseous, anxious, and had explosive diarrhea. I almost vomited as well. This was two days ago, and since then, I have had intense cramping, alternating loose and hard stools, along with bloating.

I am slowly feeling better, but I highly advise against the use of probiotics for IBS.

Try more traditional approaches (avoidance of triggers, relaxation techniques, lots of water, etc.).

Be warned...

Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User
Re: WARNING-Probiotics

I had that from yogurt before as well but assumed i could not have the dairy. Perhaps you shuld try another form of probiotics before assuming it is that? Different brands include different things, perhaps a different kind of sugar or something?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
(female)

MzTami HB User

I agree with the above post. You could be lactose intolerance or do not tolerate dairy well. I wouldn't rule out probiotics if I were you.

Try Cultrelle probiotics. You can find them at Walmart, Walgreens or online.

BTW...I don't know why you can't name the brand of yogurt you ate.

Anyway, Good Luck to you.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
(female)

desiii HB User

Yep, yogart is super high in lactose, so that could be the problem. There are other ways to take them that might be helpful. I personally can't tolerate them in any form, but I don't think that's true of most people. You might want to try some other ways to take them before giving up.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

There are over 400 different strains of bacteria in the gastro tract. Some are good and some are not so good but good friendly bacteria do different functions and are necessary.. But when some get really out of balance -- it can produce all sorts of symptom including diarrhea.

I think the problem with the yogurt is the lactose but there is digestive enzymes in it to help digest the milk sugar/lactose. And it is really seldom that yogurt causes problems.

Does regular milk that contains no digestive enzymes (lactaid) affect you?

Harry

Old 02-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrnaboy View Post
Try more traditional approaches (avoidance of triggers, relaxation techniques, lots of water, etc.). Be warned...
Hi Smyrnaboy,

I'm sorry to hear you had this adverse reaction to probiotic yogurt.

I think Harry's question is a good one: do you tolerate regular dairy, milk, cheese, etc?

If you DO tolerate dairy well, then another possibility to consider is that, with very severe gut dysbiosis, there can be a very uncomfortable adjustment period as bad & good organisms 'duke it out.'

Objective lab tests for gut biosis are available, usually called a Comprehensive Stool Analysis or CSA. Basically, such a test run by a competent lab, can tell you whether any "bad bugs" are present in the gut in significant numbers, and how adequate the colonization by "good bugs" is.

I do not recommend you continue with the yogurt. If the traditional approaches are sufficient for you, then perhaps you are one of IBS subgroup who has primarily stress-based IBS. It's a factor for most of us, but much more so for some.

IME, your reaction to the yogurt was not common. Many people with IBS have been helped with probiotics. But your point is well-taken: one man's medicine may be another's poison. Thank you for posting your experience.

Best wishes.

Last edited by elmhar; 02-27-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
(male)

smyrnaboy HB User
Thanks for All the Replies/Update

Thank you for your interest in my "issue."

In response to the questions regarding lactose intolerance, I think this may be the primary cause for my discomfort.

This past weekend, I ate many dairy-intensive items. Such meals started last Friday night.

By Sunday noon, I had 3 horrible bowel movements (that day alone), aching/cramping all over my stomach, nausea, bloating, and out-of-control gurgly noises.

Since that my last BM (48 hrs. ago), I have ceased all dairy, and feel MUCH better.

Looking back over my 10 or so years of dealing with this, this cause was staring me right in the face.

I am going to keep testing this theory-I still think stress, caffeine, alcohol-the usual triggers, are at play, but what puts my IBS over the top is the lactose-i.e., it is the primary catalyst.

Thanks again-

Closed Thread