It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
(female)

puddingandpie7 HB User
Question Is this ibs? Morning trouble!

I am quite confused, I used to get up in the mornings and have 2, 3 sometimes 4 horrible bouts of diarreah and a sicky feeling in my tummy, also some pain and gurgling. This went on for about 6 months and I used imodium to try relieve symptoms which usually works well. It was then suggested to me that I may have a wheat intolerance, so after cutting out wheat from my diet my stools instantly became more formed and the pain dissapeared, however if I am up early in the morning (say before 8am) I have one normal bowel movement but then a succession of 2 - 3 diarreah like episodes a short time after. Why does this only happen in the morning? If I get up at like 10am or 11am I am fine! I have one normal bowel movement!

I am currently signed off my work due to not being able to cope with the diarreah bouts as my work is very stressful, and think this also had added to the incidents. I ma scared to leave my house in the morning but I know by late lunch I will be fine??? Is this IBS? My blood tests have all come bacl clear for Inflammatorty bowel & celiacs disease etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
(female)

earthdayapril22 HB User
Re: Is this ibs? Morning trouble!

OMG, i have something like this, never thought there was another person with something similar. I don't get bad diarrhea, for me is loose stools.. but that only happens early in the morning 6-9am after 10 am my bowel movement is consistent. I Had a colonoscopy done 8 months ago and it was completely clear!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 04:57 AM   #3
(female)

puddingandpie7 HB User

I am at my wits end about it to be honest, this has now gone on for over a year & the doctors / hospital do nothing to help, to make matters worse imodium now no longer helps... It majorly affects my day to day life, and I also fond it really embarassing to talk about. I have great trouble going on holiday as I fuss about not wanting to fly "early" as you can imagine my distress at the thought of being strapped in on a plane or in long check in quese early on.

Have you tried cutting out wheat or dairy as this helped me alot, but not fully. x

Old 05-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
(female)

earthdayapril22 HB User

well , before I use to drink cereal with milk so now I don't drink milk anymore and the bowel mov. aren't that irritated but still are numerous.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:29 AM   #5
(female)

jannymac HB User

In my case I found it wasnt the milk that upset me but the cereal in the morning,if I can eat toast and jam and I will be fine.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
(female)

sian247 HB User
Unhappy Re: Is this ibs? Morning trouble!

Hi guys my god it is so good to know i am not alone,i have been diagnosed with IBS and i get it on and off.I packed up smoking new years eve and for a few months everything to do with my tummy was heaven however we moved offices on the 4th of May and my son went off to do his duty in Iraq and even though i seem to be coping mentally my tummy troubles came back with a vengence.It wakes me up early around 5-6 am with a very uncomfortable butterflies and sicky feeling i get a bit of relief if i lay flat on my back but i hardly ever get back to sleep then every day like clockwork i get up and feel nauseous i can only drink boiled water and have a runny tummy just once or twice sometimes 3 times and hold and rub my tummy all the way to work it almost makes me panicky,,by about 12 i am a lot better and by 5 i have a beer only a couple and i feel great go to bed no problem and in the morning it happens all over again.I have tried cutting down on some foods i have rung the ibs helpline i have ******d it till i am sick of it..i have a general anxiety disorder because of it and am pulling my hair out i harly ever am constipated but never have a firm one if you know what i mean ..the only thing that eases it is pepto bismal it seems to calm the sicky feeling a bit and have tried imodium but after a while it gives me great pain if anyone can help me please spare a minute to give me any tips i do cycle about 10 miles a day as they say excercise helps...please help!!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
(female)

Bennedita19 HB User

Hi there, I so know how you feel, I wake up around 4 ish have butterflies and gurgly noises and then need to go to the toilet as soon as I get up. Recently I have become nervous of leaving the house at any time of day and my eating habits have become irregular as a result as I fear anything can trigger me off. Basically my troubles were caused by a holiday to Bolivia which meant a lot of early mornings and lots of travelling without toilet access. Now I look at myself and think how on earth did I cope with that. I think the pent up anxiety has let to this bout of trouble and have heard that CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) can help retrain your mind to affect your behaviour. Am going to give it a try with my first session tonight.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
(female)

camaronut HB User

I used to have the exact same problem! If I could sleep in until 9 or 10, I had no stomach problems whatsoever. But, if I would have get up anytime before 9, I would have terrible stomach cramps and have loose stools several times throughout the morning that would usually resolve around noon. I tried several different antispasmodics thinking that maybe if I didn't have cramps, I wouldn't have the loose stools. Nothing seemed to work. But, I did some searching online, and talked my doctor into letting me try Colestid. It's really a cholesterol lowering drug, but is used in people with bile salt diarrhea for after having your gall bladder removed. I still have my gall bladder, but it's nonetheless been a miracle drug for me. I take 2-1gram tablets before bed, then 2 first thing in the morning. Because of this drug, I almost always have just the one normal bm a day. Once in while I'll have a day where I have 2 bm's, but they won't be diarrhea, and I haven't had the cramping at all since going on the Colestid. My dr. said that Colestid is a very benign safe drug, so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see if it works for you too! I'm finally able to leave the house for appointments and such before 10 without worry!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
(female)

KerriS98 HB User

For 5 years I had the same problem! I could sleep in and never have to go, but when I got up for school, every morning I had major diarriah and cramps.
I never did figure out anything that worked. I took immodium every morning before school. Generally by the end of 1st period it started to settle down. I dont know how many mornings I would hold my breath and hope I didn't crap myself on the bus!

My mom currently is having a similar issue after having abdomal surgery. I'm defintely going to research the drug you are talking about.
She wakes up several times throughout the night with diarriah, but as the day goes on she's fine.

DO you get muscle craps with Colestid?
She's actually on a cholesterol drug (simvastatin) that gives her awful muscle cramps and makes her joints hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaronut View Post
I used to have the exact same problem! If I could sleep in until 9 or 10, I had no stomach problems whatsoever. But, if I would have get up anytime before 9, I would have terrible stomach cramps and have loose stools several times throughout the morning that would usually resolve around noon. I tried several different antispasmodics thinking that maybe if I didn't have cramps, I wouldn't have the loose stools. Nothing seemed to work. But, I did some searching online, and talked my doctor into letting me try Colestid. It's really a cholesterol lowering drug, but is used in people with bile salt diarrhea for after having your gall bladder removed. I still have my gall bladder, but it's nonetheless been a miracle drug for me. I take 2-1gram tablets before bed, then 2 first thing in the morning. Because of this drug, I almost always have just the one normal bm a day. Once in while I'll have a day where I have 2 bm's, but they won't be diarrhea, and I haven't had the cramping at all since going on the Colestid. My dr. said that Colestid is a very benign safe drug, so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see if it works for you too! I'm finally able to leave the house for appointments and such before 10 without worry!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:38 AM   #10
(male)

Casetay HB User

WOW!! What a relief to finally find other people with my same sickness. I am 20 years old and have had morning diarrhea for the past two years. I never used a public restroom until my senior year of high school. The pains and bowel movements only come during the morning, unless I wake up on my own terms. Say I have a 9 o'clock class then I will wake up after about 10-30 minutes I will get horrible pains and feel like I'm never going to make it to the toilet...it's TERRIBLE!! I suffered and am still suffering with class attendance in school as well. After two years of college, this year I finally decided to get on the students with disabilities program to help with getting notes and having excused absences. I have seen three doctors. My first gastro doctor said I had a case of IBS...but only in the mornings?? He also did a colonoscopy and cat scan and found nothing. I then went to a homeopathic doctor who said I had a parasite, but my first gastro gave me an antibiotic that would have killed any parasite. Now my third gastro thinks I could be lactose intolerant...I got my wisdom teeth out, drank only dairy and never had a problem...but I was also sleeping as late as I wanted and doped up. It is awful and I am going to try that Colestid ASAP!! I hope it helps.

Last edited by Casetay; 08-22-2007 at 01:41 AM.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #11
(male)

JesseA HB User

Im the other way around.

If i stay up late and sleep in im more prone to wake up with aches and loost stool.

If i go to bed 'early' and wake up 'early' things tend to be better for me.

Closed Thread