It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
(female)

Georgette HB User
Can you get a charley horse...down there?

Last night I was lying in bed, completely relaxed, when all of a sudden I got an unbelievable pain in my anus that felt like a charley horse. I used to get charley horses a lot in my leg and foot when I was younger and this pain felt exactly the same. It's happened before, after I've had a bowel movement or something, but not while I've been relaxed. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Can you get a charley horse...down there?

Hi Georgette,

Rectal spasms can occur & can be very painful. They can be a manifestation of IBS, however if this was a one-time occurrence I'd be hesitant to apply a label.
Do you have other IBS symptoms?

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

cindy4hope HB User

I know the feeling, I was in bed one night when I fealt this terrible pressure and thought maybe I had to go to the bathroom, so I got up and sat there in terrilbe pain. I just had to go back to bed and pray that it would go away.

As bad as I hated to bring this subject up to my doctor he said it was colon spasms. the pain can be unbearable.

I have some of the symtomps of IBS though I haven't been to the doctor and given a proper diagnosis. I have server constipation, constant bloating, excessive gas. I have been dealing with this for the past 4-6 months and haven't been back to the doctor, it's just so embrrassing to bring this subject up.

Hope you get so answers,

Cindy4hope

Old 03-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Evie4 HB User

Oh yes, very painful!!! Fortunately it doesn't happen very often (to me).

Last edited by Evie4; 03-16-2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: added text

Old 04-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
(female)

bjmp45 HB User

I have had many of these very painful anal "charley horses" (very good way to describe the pain, Georgette). My dr. has referred to them as anal spasms, and they are part and parcel of IBS.

I just wanted to tell you that, when I have one, I firmly pinch the middle of my upper lip between my thumb and forefinger. It does not completely do away with the pain, but it helps tremendously!

Don't laugh! I read of this as a "modified accupuncture technique" to relieve pain below the waist in the magazine Prevention many years ago. It absolutely works for me, and I'm so glad. The pain I have with this kind of spasm is terrible, but it is made tolerable with this little trick. I hope it works for you.

Closed Thread