It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

sb79 HB User
Unhappy just been diagnosed- IBS

hi everyone..i'm so relieved to hear of other ppl with ibs...i thought i was the only one! i was diagnosed with ibs a few months ago..i'm finding it so hard to cope with, i get the weirdest symptoms and have let it nearly ruin my life . i have just turned 20 and i'm at uni studying biomedical sciences in human biology, and was absolutely loving it until now. i'v even considered dropping out. my older sister also has ibs and was diagnosed at 20, she is now 27 and is coping well with it.
i would really appreciate any advice on how to 'get over' having ibs and accepting it and moving on..thank you.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: just been diagnosed- IBS

What are your symptoms that are outof control??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
(female)

ummok88 HB User
Re: just been diagnosed- IBS

Hello there.. Well, I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 19. I am now 24 and have learned to cope pretty well with it over the past few years. What I have learned to do more is drink plenty of water. That is the main key. I have totally changed my diet (I know it is hard to do) but it is so worth it! I make sure I have plenty of fiber everyday. I have to consume atleast 15-20 grams of fiber everyday for my tummy to work properly. I am a petite girl, so I dont need as much fiber for my system to work. Some people may need more or less. I have been using a product called Fiber Sure... It is awesome. Only one teaspoon & it gives you 5 g of fiber. You can put it in or on anything and it doesnt get gooey or tast funny. You have to build up your tolerance though to adding the fiber. Your body will feel weird at first and very gassy... but this does go away. I also make sure I eat lots of yogurt. They even have yogurt now that has active cultures in it to help your digestive tract. In the beginning of all the IBS, I found that stress really made it worse. I tried to find ways to calm myself. You also need to find your trigger foods...( the foods that make your symptoms worse) For me pastries, milk, wheat products, &vanilla ice cream are a few things that really bother me. You should try to keep a log of what you eat and how you feel after you eat them. This will help you learn what to avoid. I was on medication called Robinul for the IBS symptoms for 2 years, but had to stop because of a blood clot in my leg. ( which was caused from birth contol pills. ) Because I am taking blood thinners, I had to stop taking my IBS meds. So, over the past 4 months I drastically changed my diet. No more junk food, no more fast food and I feel great! I hope this info helps. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know! Good Luck!

Closed Thread