It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User
Question IBS - Constipation - Mineral Oil

OK. Hi!

I've had IBS for years and I've suffered with chronic constipation since I came from the womb. I hadn't been having any constipation trouble for the past 4 or so years and then WHAM! I'm now constipated ALL THE TIME!

Had a colonoscopy in December to rule out anything serious and surgeon said my colon was "clean" and it was IBS. It wasn't constipation that sent me to him, I had to have Diverticulitis and Chron's ruled out because of adhesions on my bowel caused by Endmotriosis.

Since around October I've experience bouts of constipation and it's getting worse every go around. I've went from increasing water worked, then increasing fiber worked. I then got completely back up, sick to my stomach, in serious pain and swore I couldn't be constipated cause I WAS going at least once a day. X-ray proved I was back up into my chest (exactly how I used to get as a child!). Had to do the whole magnesium citrate routine to get a grip on things. But it was is if my motility didn't spring back into action after the cleansing. I got constipated again within 3 days.

Since then, I've been drinking 8 glasses of water before allowing myself any other fluid. I've also been taking 2-3 tbs. of mineral oil a night. The oil had given me the runs and some leakage (sorry) so I backed off for two night. I found in those two days I couldn't produce one BM even though the urge was there!

Now I CAN'T have a BM without mineral oil! I'm completely stumped! And with all the fluid intake I'm peeing every half hour during the day. Yet, nothing else comes from me unless I stick the mineral oil nightly and don't let up for a single day! BTW - it took me 3 nights to get back to producing normal BM's and not hard balls after the break from mineral oil.

Sorry for the long post, but is this normal? I'm only 27 yet my bowels work like I'm 97!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
(female)

colleen617 HB User
Re: IBS - Constipation - Mineral Oil

Isn't it the pits when no one answers your post?

I don't have any solution for you as I am suffering too! My bowels will not move at all. See my post from today.

I read on another board that taking magnesium supplement can help.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Willo! Years ago I, too had bowel adhesions and had them removed a few times because of pelvic inflammatory disease and polycystic ovaries. This goes back to 1984-1986 when I had a laparoscopy and laparotomy for these things. In between surgeries because of the bowel thing, I can remember eating a cereal called "Fruit & Fiber" which really helped get things going. Now I'm 50 years old, 10 years. post hysterectomy, currently suffering with diverticulosis and gall bladder stuff going on (getting older is wonderful!) and I alternate my cereals--oatmeal, corn flakes, etc. but the best solution I've had for constipation is psyllium husk fiber (like Metamucil) but flavor-free. You can sprinkle it on applesauce or just mix it with water and drink it down. It's kind of boring, but when you're uncomfortable, it's really your best friend. Seedless grapes are good and prune juice is too(the one with the pulp). Just follow them up with a cup of hot tea (I like caffeine free) and there you go! I know what it's like when you almost feel like there's something blocking you up with no relief in sight. Right now my stomach looks inflated like the Goodyear blimp and although I have some mineral oil in the house (a good old fashioned remedy), I used to have the leakage problem. Have they checked you for something called gastroparesis? I'm not really sure about the true meaning of the term, but I think it has to do with motility. Are you sluggish because of thyroid problems ? Have that checked too. I hope this is somewhat helpful. I hate to feel uncomfortable in general, but in that department it's horrid. Take care & God bless--Hopeto--

Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
(female)

bellyblues HB User

Hi Willo! I've had IBS 20 years now. Started out D and moved to C. I've managed the C pretty effectively (don't ask me about today!) for the last few years. I went through a similar experience where my GI told my I was completely impacted. Even though you may be having some movements (mine, at the time, was mostly watery D), you can still be impacted if you are not effectively emptying the bowel on a regular basis. I know how it freaked me out!

For me, doc said absolutely no psyllium husk fiber. I had been taking metamucil and other insoluble fibers for years and I think they helped produce the impaction. Doc told me when you are very constipated, adding fiber will only absord the fluid in the colon, causing whatever is still in there to become even more dried out and impossible to move. In addition, when your colon is so packed, it can't move, can't do it's job.

My doc told my to go for colon hydrotherapy. I can't recommend this enough. Taking the magnesium citrate is so harsh on the system. It also artificially over stimulates the colon, interfering with it's normal peristalsis. Colon hydrotherapy is a very gentle and natural way of eliminating all backed up waste AND it "reminds" the colon of what it's supposed to be doing.

I also take an herbal pellet created by the clinicians at the colon hydrotherapy clinic. I'd be happy to provide you a link if you're interested. I have found it to be the most consistently effective product I've ever used.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

philly1 HB User

Colonics are great if you get the all clear by your doctor. Firstly, you need to look at your diet, wheat will make you bloated and its in most foods but since I gave it up I havent looked back. Oatcakes are a great replacement. Its trial and error but youll get there.

Closed Thread