It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 09:47 AM  
(male)

bloatedbloke HB User
Frequent Bowel Movement and Frequent farting

I have been sufferring from frequent bowel movements i.e. an average of 5-7times a day and the stool is always semi solid/semi loose. I also face severe gastric problem, lactose intolerance, smelly farting, hyper-acidity and bad breath due to the hyper acidity. I have been having this problem since last 6years and it seems to be only getting worse. I have tried various types of medications - English,traditional - Ayurvedic and Homeopathic medicine- to no avail. I have even undergone endoscopy and colonoscopy and the results indicated minor acid reflux. The medicine given by the gastroenterologist did not have any effect on my acidity, bloatedness or bad breath. I have had to abstain from various types of gas forming foods and the list of foods that cause gas seems to be increasing each day, causing me to take vitamin tablets to receive the required vitamins and minerals.
I am really struggling and this is affecting me socially.
Please please I need some geunine medical help and suggestion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 PM  
(female)

bellyblues HB User
Re: Frequent Bowel Movement and Frequent farting

Hi there! You did not mention in your post if you had been diagnosed with IBS. Assuming you have, I would say your symtoms are pretty typical. It's been my experience that most folks with bowel disorders also suffer with acid reflux or other acid problems. The digestive track is all connected so it's probable that if one part is in distress, the rest will be effected.

I really feel for you about the flatulance. I too have this issue to deal with every day. While I may have 2 or three BM's in a day, they are, like yours, very soft and insufficient. Because I am not completely emptying the bowel each time I go, gas gets trapped behind the "mass" that hasn't yet moved. Eventually, enough pressure builds that the gas has to be expelled or severe pain will result (it usually does even with gas elimination). I have found that the only times I have odor is if the gas or bowels won't move frequently. If food is sitting in your gut longer than it should, fermentation will occur, bacteria will grow and you will have odor. I do not take pills to stop the gas because they tend to constipate. For me, it's always better to keep things moving as quickly as possible.

Hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2007, 06:50 AM  
(male)

bloatedbloke HB User

Thanks indeed for your empathy.
I hope to have some solutions though.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:22 AM  
(female)

bellyblues HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloatedbloke View Post
Thanks indeed for your empathy.
I hope to have some solutions though.
Some folks have found Gas-X pills or Charcoal pills helpful. Others use Immodium to help with D. Since IBS can be unpredictable in the way it presents, it really becomes a balancing act. For me, taking medications that supress bowel activity (including the all-annoying gas) eventually ends up in constipation, which, for me, is unbearably painful. Everyone is different and you may have to try different approaches until you find something that works.

Those of us who experience a higher than normal amount of gas become quite adept and clever at covert expulsion! I have had this for so long that I no longer even try to keep it a secret. Friends, family, even co-workers all know that I have a persnickety bowel and understand if I have to suddenly "run" to the bathroom 10 times a day!