It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

meringue HB User
Do any of you have really frequent nausea with IBS?

Hi, I know I keep posting a lot and asking questions that it's difficult to answer, but I feel so stuck. My Doctor has diagnosed me with IBS and given me nothing, just immodium. He's just left me in the dark and the last time I went back to ask for more help he stayed silent until I left the room. I feel so stuck and alone and my symptoms don't even always match those of IBS. While I get diarrohea, constipation and bloating daily etc, one of my most prolonged and common symptoms is nausea and feeling like I'm going to throw up all the time.DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS? If there was just something I could grab onto so I can say to myself "it's okay, this is IBS, other people get the same thing.." then it would make the whole experience much better. But no other person diagnosed with IBs has managed to tell me that they have a lot of nausea too.

The following user gives a hug of support to meringue:
delphine429 (07-03-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to meringue For This Useful Post:
monlav (06-06-2012)
Old 09-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
(female)

kellysmum HB User
Re: Do any of you have really frequent nausea with IBS?

Hi,

I'm new here too, and yes, I have nausea with my IBS. I have diarrhea and terrible cramping, too. Like you, I'm just on Imodium, which does nothing for the nausea. Today, I have eaten toast, and I just managed to get down a bowel of instant oatmeal. I have no idea what to try to eat for dinner. It seems like whenever I have diarrhea, then take the Imodium, I get all bloated and sick to my stomach. Someone recommended peppermint tea, so I am giving that a try.

So you are not alone. Nausea is perfectly normal with IBS. Sounds like your doctor is just like my doctor, and figures we'll just have to struggle through it. Like I said, you're not alone.

Take care.

Candace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
(female)

bellyblues HB User

In my experience, the only time I feel nauseated is when I take something for the IBS. An example is laxatives. If I took a correctol or dulcolax, I would cramp so severely prior to elimintion, that it would make me want to throw up. Same thing with products like immodium, which arrest the D. In my opinion, these products cause nausea because they are interferring with the process of the bowel. While it is sometimes necessary for me to take something to stimulate motility, it is best if I stick with something that is as close to "natural" as possible and won't interupt the normal bowel function. Think about it. If your having D, which is the bowel passing stool and gas that needs to come out, and you take something to suddenly stop it, what will happen to all that which was about to be eliminated? For me, whenever I am dealing with bloating and gas (which is constantly!), it is best to try and eliminate it naturally. Artifically stopping it or artificially encouraging it is always going to cause some nasty side effects.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:35 AM   #4
(male)

JesseA HB User

Yes the nausea is normal, ive read over 100 personal stories of IBS sufferers and id say 95% of them complained of nausea.

I also get nausea when i go thru one of my flare ups (But please note i have not yet officially been diagnosed with IBS, however i do get flare ups and during those times I am hit with lethargy, nausea, and fatigue..though i think a part of the fatigue may be me just emotionally bent out of shape with the pain and just hoping if i sleep everything will be normal when i awake, but im certaintly NOT energetic one bit until the storm passes)

Experiencing nausea with the symptoms is the worst because then it also ends up causing me to have a lack of appetite and i begin losing weight. So not only am i slightly scared to eat thinking "If I eat this will my stomach start hurting" but also i dont always even WANT to eat cause i feel nauseous. I lost about 3 pounds from this flare up I may have gained it back already but havent weighed myself.

Last edited by JesseA; 09-03-2007 at 04:39 AM.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

My stomach cramps up and I have the diarreah. While this is going on I do get nauseated and throw up..this is awful cause you are already on the toilet thanks to the diarreah so I have to throw up like in a small trash can or something!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
(female)

StephieHokie HB User

When it comes to IBS, nothing seems weird to me!

I sometimes will have an asthma attack about 5-10 minutes after an upset (diarrhea) stomach!! Random! I feel like it could have something to do with your body being in such a high state of stress and pain for those moments (or hours...) that it goes through some "different" after-effects than what you would think possible...

Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 AM   #7
(male)

JesseA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie in mary View Post
My stomach cramps up and I have the diarreah. While this is going on I do get nauseated and throw up..this is awful cause you are already on the toilet thanks to the diarreah so I have to throw up like in a small trash can or something!
Is your abdominal pain severe?

On a scale of 1-10 what would you rate it, 10 being almost crippling.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
(female)

elefantgirl13 HB User

I have it on a regular basis, and my doctor tries to stick me on every med known to man. I can't get any of them to work without side effects that keep me from a productive life. I am a full time student, and the effects cause me not to be able to focus on words when I read, among others such as dizziness, increased nausea, and constipation. So, the immodium worked for me. I took it in the morning, and then only when it was too bad to bear. So far, I am watching my diet, eating lots of fiber, and drinking tea with peppermint in it to calm my tummy, and it works. I hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
(female)

WarGerbil HB User

I have been nauseated 24/7 for over 10 years. I also have cramps/diarrhea, but not constipation. Doctors have told me that I have IBS, that there's nothing wrong with me, that it's entirely in my head, and that if it was anything serious, I'd be dead by now. I don't typically take anything for the diarrhea because it's generally limited. Once my bowels are empty I'm fine. I have an Rx for Phenergen for the nausea, but I can only take it at night, or when I have a good 10-12 hrs to sleep it off.

I have another gastroenterologist appointment in November. I have difficulty believing that constant crippling nausea is just IBS, but my situation may be different from yours as well.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:48 AM   #10
(female)

pandora-k HB User
Smile Re: Do any of you have really frequent nausea with IBS?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been suffering with ibs for years. My symptoms do include nausea and also shivering one minute and too hot the next, as well as the bloating and spasms of pain and lethargy.

I noticed that one person (WarGerbil) had written that their Dr had said it was all in the head.

I hope this helps you

Last edited by moderator2; 09-19-2007 at 05:48 AM. Reason: not allowed to post other forums - please read the posting rules

Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 AM   #11
(female)

pandora-k HB User

Meringue

I also feel you are being badly treated by your Dr - what a nasty trck to stay silent whle you left the room!

Could you consider changing your GP?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #12
(female)

WarGerbil HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora-k View Post

I noticed that one person (WarGerbil) had written that their Dr had said it was all in the head.

I hope this helps you
I'd just like to point out that I don't believe that it is, I was just stating the range of responses I've received from medical personnel over the years.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
(female)

fragile83 HB User

I have constant nausea also. My dr. prescribed promethazine! and it works great!!!! it makes me sleepy but it is better than the nausea.....I'm ableto eat almost normally!!!

Also try alternative treatments (acupuncture...ect) stomach illnesses are related to your general state of mind and emotion.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I get nausea especially during the attack. Also, I will be shivering but will be sweating.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Yes my husband gets nausea all the time and it is caused when his bowels get so backed up that it is pushing back on his stomach. This is actually the signal for me to give him Milk of Magnesia to clean him out every other weekend or so. Now for you nausea may mean something entirely different...but just so you know it does happen. Even though it seems he has a bowel movement everyday somehow still his system manages to back up to his eyeballs!.. I do hope you have taken the time to read all that has been posted on this site because all your questions have been answered at great length. And why would you keep going to a doctor who has no clue?...not all doctors are versed in IBS. However, it is a very difficult subject and each person has a different journey through it. We have discovered for us that Immodium is not a good medication because it causes him constipation and we don't want that either. This is a terrible diagnosis and you will have to find your own way through it and it will take you trying many things.

Closed Thread