It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

geloria HB User
LOwer back pain and stomach pain, could this be ibs

Unlike others who suffer from diarrhea, Unless I have a lot of fiber I suffer from constipation. For example yesterday one bowel movement with very hard stools, and today 4 bowel movements softer stools. Over the past couple of weeks after I eat near the belly button I get these sharp pains like stinging stabbing pains, and my lower abdomen on the left hurts from inside, like as if something is bruised inside, this pain does go towards the back, and today I had a really bad lower back pain towards the left. I believe my back pains are related to my bowels because after a bowel movement they hurt, or vice versa a bowel movement decreases the pain.My GP thinks it is IBS, I do get bloated as well and the pressure from gas hurts.
I am having an ultrasound scan of tomach and pelvis done tomorrow, could they tell anything from that?!! I thought I would need an endoscopy. I am getting really concerned, I am a worrier and I keey hoping there is nothing really serious and bad wrong. Does anyone else with ibs get these symptoms?
I am female 38yrs

Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
(female)

milo61 HB User
Re: LOwer back pain and stomach pain, could this be ibs

Hi there Galoria minniemoo here to your rescue, stop worrying you will make it worse, you sound like we have the same things going on exactly. i had hospita1l tests barium xray, and the other was the camera up[forgot the name of it] they told me i had Diverticulitus and I.B.S ,ihave at least 1 or two attacks a week and i am on meberverine tabs before food it can take over your life if you let it, but fight on,i find a hot water bottle on my lower back helps, good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #3
(female)

bellyblues HB User

Back pain is not uncommon with constipation.

Colonscopy is the best way to dx IBS. Perhaps your doc is leaving that for last.

Heating pads are very helpful for both belly and back pain.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:59 AM   #4
(female)

geloria HB User

Thanks for your replies, I had the ultrasound done yesterday, so they ruled out kidney or womb problems, and they mentioned if the problem is the bowels I would need an endoscopy.
So have to wait until next week to see the doctor.
It is just really strange I don't exactly get cramping, it is more like an stinging sensation around the belly button and towards the left side from inside.
Is this common at all?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

I have abdominal, flank and lower back pain, but all on the right. I have not had a colonoscopy. My doc is reluctant to do anything because he thinks it's anxiety. I did have an ultrasound, and a CT scan last year. I guess it's probably IBS. I do know that diverticulitis can cause left sided pain.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
(female)

clasact1956 HB User

I went in for an upper GI and a lower bowel series. I also had two colonoscopies in 3 years. I have suffered with IBS for most of my life with it getting worse as I get older (51). After all these tests, nothing was found leaving me back to square one. I am so frustrated I could cry.

They did find a philips head screw in my abdomin which has since passed after about 6 exrays over the course of 4 weeks.

Now what? I have tried everything and I mean everything and nothing works. There has to be some other medical reason I can't go. My brother too suffers so it could be just a gene thing.

D

Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
(female)

bellyblues HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasact1956 View Post
Now what? I have tried everything and I mean everything and nothing works. There has to be some other medical reason I can't go. My brother too suffers so it could be just a gene thing.

D
You might consider a naturopathic doctor. I have found them very helpful and they are willing to explore alternative medicinal options that can provide a great deal of relief.

Closed Thread