It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

ScreamingMimi HB User
pain on left side and low abdominal spasm pain

I have pain on left side just below my waistline and severe lower abdominal spasm-type pains that begin centrally and radiate out to the front right and left sides of my body. I was told I have IBS about 5 years ago. Since then the pain has gotten so bad that it feels unbearable at times. When the pain starts I feel I'm going to need the toilet to move my bowels, but I don't always produce anything. I also get lower abdominal pains before and after urinating and moving my bowels, but not every time. When I do move my bowels, my stool is very soft and sometimes has no form.

Last edited by ScreamingMimi; 10-21-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: to give further information on my symptoms

Old 10-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: pain on left side and low abdominal spasm pain

Have you been checked for diverticulousis? I have it, and that's exactly how it manifests.
Kat..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
(female)

ScreamingMimi HB User

Hi Kat,
I have returned to my GP with my symptoms. I asked for a colonoscopy, but here in Ireland that's not an easy test to get. I gave stool specimens last week and am waiting for the results. Last month I decided that I am going to keep going back to the doctors until I know what's going on inside of me. For the last few years I've had a fear that something more serious is going on inside me, since there doesn't seem to be any test for IBS. I think that particular stress of not being sure of what's happening to me has given me more abdominal pain. I do find that stress brings on wicked abdominal pain.

Another thing that happens to me when the pains come is that I get very hot. After the pain leaves I am quite tired. I also at times have loud flatulence. I've noticed beef in particular brings on the music!

I've never been able to get myself to tell the doctor this but with the anonymity here I may as well say it because I would like to know if this happens to other women - when my husband and I have sexual intercourse everything can be going on without a hitch and then I'll suddenly get these terrible intrusive abdominal pains. My husband can feel my spasms when we're together like this. Does this happen to anyone else?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingMimi View Post
Hi Kat,
I have returned to my GP with my symptoms. I asked for a colonoscopy, but here in Ireland that's not an easy test to get. I gave stool specimens last week and am waiting for the results. Last month I decided that I am going to keep going back to the doctors until I know what's going on inside of me. For the last few years I've had a fear that something more serious is going on inside me, since there doesn't seem to be any test for IBS. I think that particular stress of not being sure of what's happening to me has given me more abdominal pain. I do find that stress brings on wicked abdominal pain.

Another thing that happens to me when the pains come is that I get very hot. After the pain leaves I am quite tired. I also at times have loud flatulence. I've noticed beef in particular brings on the music!

I've never been able to get myself to tell the doctor this but with the anonymity here I may as well say it because I would like to know if this happens to other women - when my husband and I have sexual intercourse everything can be going on without a hitch and then I'll suddenly get these terrible intrusive abdominal pains. My husband can feel my spasms when we're together like this. Does this happen to anyone else?

YES I get those crucial moment pains you talk about, my doctor says they are normal in IBS sufferers mine are only ever on the left hand side, doesn't happen all the time, apparently this is also a woman thing. Mention it to you doc next time you go.
Jayne

Old 10-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
(female)

Puggle1 HB User

Hello,
I was reading your message and wondered if the pain is a lower burning pain on the left side. For me this may last a day or two. I have been told I have Diverticulosis, but my doctor doesn't think that its causing the pain. He is leaning toward IBS.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
(female)

ScreamingMimi HB User

Hello Puggle1,
The pain on my left side is not a burning pain, just a noticeable pain just below my waistline at my left side. Good luck with your diagnosis.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
(female)

ScreamingMimi HB User

I'm just out of hospital after having an MI, a heart attack. Since I was in the hospital I have had irritable bowel pain only twice, whereas I used to have the pains several times a day. Just interesting I thought. I'm not feeling great.

Closed Thread