It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

paula43 HB User
Afraid To Get In Car - Imodium Gives Me Diarrhea

I had to go for a long ride today which I usually avoid. I took 1/2 of an Imodium before going to sleep last night and a whole one with water this morning. I lived on a few pieces of toast and a little rice for the past 2 days, knowing I'd have to make this trip.

I was ok but at noon when I got home, I had diarrhea. This happened once before. The imodium may not actually cause the diarrhea but it sure didn't prevent it. I am at my wit's end and tired of living like this, always needing a bathroom. Is there anything that anyone here takes that really works even when they're nervous. Of course, the fear of an attack makes it worse and actually can bring on the runs. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: Afraid To Get In Car - Imodium Gives Me Diarrhea

You need to take more Immodium and more frequently.

When I am traveling, I need to take 2-3 Immodium 1 hour before I leave. That will last up to 12 hours. At that time, I need to take more. It usually does the trick and the next day, things are back to normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula43 View Post
I had to go for a long ride today which I usually avoid. I took 1/2 of an Imodium before going to sleep last night and a whole one with water this morning. I lived on a few pieces of toast and a little rice for the past 2 days, knowing I'd have to make this trip.

I was ok but at noon when I got home, I had diarrhea. This happened once before. The imodium may not actually cause the diarrhea but it sure didn't prevent it. I am at my wit's end and tired of living like this, always needing a bathroom. Is there anything that anyone here takes that really works even when they're nervous. Of course, the fear of an attack makes it worse and actually can bring on the runs. Any advice would be very appreciated.
Paula, it could be the rice if it is white rice. Rice turns to sugar and that may be what is doing it. Try brown rice, it takes longer but better for you anyway. I don't know what I would do without imodium. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
(female)

paula43 HB User

Thank you, Sunshine. I thought brown rice has fiber, though, and I'd be afraid that would cause the runs. I am curious, how long before you have to be somewhere do you take the Imodium? How many hours does it take to work? How many do you take?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
(female)

Georgette HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula43 View Post
Thank you, Sunshine. I thought brown rice has fiber, though, and I'd be afraid that would cause the runs. I am curious, how long before you have to be somewhere do you take the Imodium? How many hours does it take to work? How many do you take?
One small comment about fibre - I have IBS-D, and I take one teaspoon of Metamucil every morning, and have for almost three years now. It has helped a lot with preventing diarrhea. Many people have a misconception that fibre is solely a laxative, but in reality it can help regulate people on both ends of the spectrum.

Nerves do play a big part. I try not to rely on Imodium, but do take it occasionally and it usually works for me. But a lot of times by the time I take it, it's too late and I'm already in the middle of an attack. I don't want to resort to taking it every day because I'm afraid it will lose its effect and then I'd really be stuck.

I feel for you - eating the bare minimum before going out. I have been on cruises in exotic places (Asia, Africa, South America, even some places in southern Europe) where bathroom facilities aren't what they are in North America. And I have had to eat very little before going off the ship for the day. It makes things very difficult because due to the lack of food you don't have as much energy to explore as you like. But I have gotten by and managed to keep things under control. Just some reassurance that it is possible to live a semi-normal life with these symptoms.

Closed Thread