It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

mackenzie61 HB User
bowel change after mexico trip

Hi,

I've been dealing with intermittent diarrhea for three weeks since coming back from a trip to Mexico. It's different from any traveler's diarrhea I've had in the past -- not liquid, but small amounts of soft, ribbony stool and lots of gas at times with a bit of mucousy diarrhea (sorry to be graphic). Lower back pain, too. Often I'm fine all day and it hits in the evening. The first episodes did start toward the end of my trip, a few days after I completed a course of antibiotics for a bladder infection.

I've seen my doctor, who ordered fecal tests for parasites, etc. and just found out those were neg. I'm going back today to see what's next. She wanted me to go ahead and start on an antibiotic, Flagyl, before the results were back, but I've got a med. phobia and decided to wait to hear the results.

Meanwhile, I've been scaring myself thinking it's colon cancer (I'm 46), but the symptoms sound like IBS, too, and I just read that they think traveler's diarrhea can bring on IBS.

Just scared, I guess, and seeking some comforting words or advice.

Thanks in advance,

Mackenzie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
(male)

illsicboy HB User
Re: bowel change after mexico trip

Hi,

I also had simular symptoms after a trip to Egypt, not to scare you but 4 years later I'm the same.

I went to see my Doc at 2weeks, 3, 4 and so on. In the end I ended up in hospital for 2 weeks because I went from 13 to 7 1/2 stone. In hospital I had several tests done, some of which I never want to experiance again!!! They also put me on steroids that made me tired and more ill. Would not recomend. I would recomend a dietision and looking at herbel and natural health. I tried this, its quite expensive but I did'nt care. It helped carm flare up's down. But then for me I go from good to bad.

In the end they said I had I.B.S or Ulcerative Colitus. But still today, how can you go from being a healthy 30 yr old to feeling like rubish all the time. It just does not make sence.

Your not on your own.

Cp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

SunnaSunna HB User

I would recommend a good probiotic. Be careful when choosing though, you can put the owrd probiotic on anything (there aren't any regulations). You might need to restore the good Flora in your system. Look for something that has billions of cells, the one that works for me is Florastor. Again, the price is always an issue when dealing with natural solutions, but it works.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
(male)

cableboy HB User

After getting ill in peru and bolivia I have had IBS-like symptoms for the past five months. Mostly rumbling, pain, stomach discomfort and gas, but on a daily basis. I can not touch coffee or coke anymore. I tried active yogurt to no avail. I don't have diarrhea but small, loose stools.

I went to a gastro today (just back to the States two weeks ago), and he is running all the tests but said there is a good chance it is post-infectious IBS. We're going to try one month of probiotics (Florastor) with fiber supplements.

I have met many travelers whose digestive systems have changed since getting ill after travel.

Closed Thread