It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
(male)

dano33 HB User
Inital diagnosis IBS now undiagnosed upper left quadrant pain

Hoping someone can give me some help/good advice. Long story but I'll try to keep it short as possible.

I am 46, male, about 10 KG overweight and a smoker.

For many years I have had stomach problems...mostly acid indigestion and heartburn. About 10 years ago I had the full gamut of tests (barium Xray for ulcer, colonoscopy, gastrocopy, heart stress test, etc.). All came back negative and I rec'd a diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Life went on. I self medicated with antacids and from time to time got a RX for drugs like Ranitidine, Pantoloc etc and they always helped.

However, about 3 months ago the problem got worse. On Dec 24 I had moderate-severe pain in the upper left centre of my stomach (just below the breastbone) with the pain @ times spreading around to the back. I started thinking heart and that likely worsened the problem as I then began to be in a bit of panic and started sweating, feeling faint etc. Bottom line is I went to the hospital and then checked me out quite extensively for heart problems (blood tests, xrays, EKGs etc.). They told me the problem was not heart but something digestive.

Since that time I had had pain in this area virtually every day. Often it is very mild and more of a nuisance than pain but its still there.

Basicially as I said the pain generally begins just at the bottom of the rib cage/breastbone in the centre and left of centre. At times it follows along the rib cage leftward extending toward the back. Often I feel it right through in the back as well. It can be quite severe (about 7/10) at times and other times is quite mild. The more severe episodes last anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

Also at times I feel a bit of numbness around my left ear/face area. On occasion this has spread down to my jaw. And also on occasion I can feel this in my left upper arm near the shoulder. And sometimes my fingers feel numb as well. These other sensations (other than the stomach/chest pain) generally only happen when the stomach/chest pain begins to get quite severe (ie when the chest pain is mild I dont get the other symptoms).

I have seen my family dr about 6-8 times in the last 3 months and have tried various medications (Ranitidine, Pantoloc, Nexium). None have seemed to really help. He has referred me to a GI doctor for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy as well as an ultrasound stomach/abdominal exam. I am still waiting to have these tests done. He does not feel it is a heart issue and feels it is something in the GI area. Today he surprised me a bit by saying he doesnt think any of the GI tests will show anything and he suspects it may be Costochondritis (relatively harmless chest pain NOT related to cario diseases). Still he says I should have all the tests just in case.

I should add that I have been to emergency 3 times in the last 3 months due to times when the pain got quite severe and would not go away. All 3 times they tested me extensively and assured me it is NOT a cario issue (at least they dont think so). They keep saying GI but cant name specifically what it is. Again, I am waiting for all these tests.

I should also add my family DR gave me blood tests for an ulcer and pancreas problems but both were negative.

Also, I have diarehha on a regular basis. Not pure liquid but loose bowel movements and never bloody. Also I am never constipated.

I know also that stress is a factor. I say this because recently I was on a holiday and while I still had the problem it was a lot less severe.

But basically for the last 3 months I have been in pain every day. Most times mild but I can never tell when its going to hit me hard nor how long it will last. It can happen any time of the day or night although its a little more frequent at night.

Another thing I've noticed is I often have pain/discomfort after eating (1/2 hour to hour later). And if I ever lie down after eating it can get real bad. While lying down I often have "spasms" or "twiches" in the upper abdominal area.

It seems I dont have an ulcer, nor a pancreatic problem. And I guess I wont know what it is until I get all these tests. All kinds of things have went through my mind: gall bladder, cancer, gastritis, reflux disease, GERD etc etc. But again I dont know and dont know where to turn. I am hoping one of these tests will lead to a diagnosis but am not sure.

Meanwhile I am looking for some type of relief as I am having trouble coping and getting through day to day life and activities. Is there anything I can/should do while I am waiting for these tests. Does anyone have a definitive idea of what this could be?

Greatly appreciate any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
(male)

creeman HB User
Cool Re: Inital diagnosis IBS now undiagnosed upper left quadrant pain

I had the same problems that you mentioned.I had all the same tests done they found it to be ulcers and acid reflux.I should mention they found them with the barium tests and the ultra sound.I hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
(female)

Mstic1 HB User
Re: Inital diagnosis IBS now undiagnosed upper left quadrant pain

Hi Dano,

I also have upper left quadrant stomach pain. I do have IBS but have recently been diagnosed with both a hiatal hernia and gastritis. In the past month I have completely quit drinking caffeine and am also taking Protonix. Bothe of those seem to be helpiing alot.

I hope you find some answers soon.

Closed Thread