It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

april383 HB User
Problems with constipation, using coffee to go, is it safe?

Im 22 years old and been having constipation problems for a few years now. I have seen a doctor about it and if I follow a strick diet, take my fibre pills 3x times and day (which i hate taking), drink lots and lots of water and exercise, I am able to have a normal bowel movement. But its extremly difficult to follow these rules EVERYDAY and if I go a day without following these rules, i get constipated. For example this week, I have been really busy and work schedule has changed so I wasnt eating as well and forgot to take my fibre pills. I went almost 5 days without taking a full bowel movement, I felt so slugglish and gross I drank a cup a coffee, which works almost as a laxative for me and feel sssooooo much better!!! Is it bad to do this?? I figure since coffee is natural its not bad for me. But I dont want to screw up my bowels even more.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
(female)

bellyblues HB User
Re: Problems with constipation, using coffee to go, is it safe?

Heaven's no! If coffee makes you go, then by all means, drink up! I wish it were that simple for me!

Last edited by moderator4; 04-15-2008 at 06:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Coffee really helps me too! I eat a big bowl of oatmeal and rasins in the morning and then drop my son off at school, go workout and then stop by for a starbucks latte. Things really get moving after that coffee! Half-caf even works for me which is what I usually do in order to cut down on the caffeine a bit. Go for it!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

It is best to eat properly because your intestines work by intaking fiber. For normal BMs a person needs to intake 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily and it needs to be a combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber. You also need to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily and get a moderate amount of exercise daily.
All meats, seafood and dairy products contain NO fiber.

Coffee is acting for you as a trigger drink and there are food that react to some people for their intestines and has no nutritional value -- and it certainly is not a replacement for poor eating habits.

I think it's best to develop healthy eating habits.-- 85 to 96% of your immune system is controlled and developed by your gastrointestinal tract -- eat properly for optimal health -- with no short cuts.
It will eventually tell on your entire body and it's functional organs.

I have been taking a water soluble fiber supplement daily for 24 years because I, like many people, don't eat enough soluble fiber in my diet. Read labels and find out what you really intake--- the processed food that is produced and we mostly eat these days just don't contain enough fiber-- most people intake about 13 grams of fiber daily --- not nearly enough.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 04-12-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 AM   #5
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

I eat a whole foods diet consisting of fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains, legumes, good fats, and dairy. I have kept a food diary for years and have learned to avoid those foods that are IBS triggers for me. Even so- I still occasionally struggle with constipation for no apparent reason. Many of us with impeccable eating habits still need help once in a while. I enjoy a little bit of dark chocolate and a little bit of coffee both of which really help me out when I need it and both of which actually have been shown to have their own unique health benefits. I see no problems with enjoying coffee in moderation and if it helps - all the better. jrose

Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

jrose,

You describe your eating habits that are very good but what is your advice for april383??

Harry

Old 04-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
(female)

bellyblues HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
jrose,

You describe your eating habits that are very good but what is your advice for april383??

Harry
I think it's here:
Quote:
I see no problems with enjoying coffee in moderation and if it helps - all the better.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:01 AM   #8
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Harry, you can't assume that because someone enjoys coffee, that they have horrible eating habits. Most of us on this board have been dealing with IBS for years. Believe me, we probably have better eating habits than most because we are forced to. Great eating habits help a ton, but for many with this condition, it's not enough. I'll take coffe over meds any day but if I were doing everything else right and meds were the only other solution, I would do it to get relief. Hope this helps - jrose

Closed Thread