It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
(female)

missimo HB User
No stool for a week

Does anybody else get so constipated they don't pass a stall for a week or so? I end up feeling bloated nearly all the time and right this moment i've not been for a week and just feel huge and uncomfortable, tried ex-lax, movicol, senakot about 6 or so tablets and will probably use a suppository tonight if nothing gets moving! Iam quite a slim person but I end up looking slightly pregnant and its also effecting my sex life. Grr. Nothing ever seems to work, I have been eating more fibre past couple weeks but doesn't seem to be doing much. Any ideas on how to keep things moving?

Old 06-14-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
(female)

bellyblues HB User
Re: No stool for a week

I'm a bit concerned that the laxatives have not produced ANY results. Usually something will happen with all that you've taken. If I took that many laxatives and I was still not having any sign of a bm, I would call my doc before taking anything else. I would also lay off the fiber because if you are that constipated eating more fiber will only make it worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

You could also try Miralax which you can buy now over the counter. My sister has severe constipation - only goes maybe once a week if she is lucky - been to gastro doc - had all tests - she has severe motility problems, but if she takes the miralax as directed and drinks alot of water it usually helps her..... just a thought....

Old 06-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Evie4 HB User

Keep in mind that medications can cause constipation too. Things like ibuprofen and antistamines are constipating for me. I too have motility issues. Medications and a lowfat diet make it worse. Oral laxatives don't seem really affective for me at that point...and I don't want to continue to take them after a couple days of them not working.

Fleet also makes a (fluid) glycerin suppository that work pretty quickly. I haven't tried the Mirilax but I have heard it works.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
(female)

jessi33 HB User

I have the same problem if i don't take anything i could go up to three weeks with nothing i'm lucky to go once a week. I am also very thin (5'8 105lbs) and always bloated I have to wear baggy clothes so I don't look preg. Of course that affects your sex life. I have tried everything for bloating: prescriptions, otcs, probiotics, digestive enzymes and I have yet to find anything that helps. As for the constipation theres the prescription drug amitizia but it didn't work for me and its very expensive. My GI now prescribes me the gallons of liquid they give to prep for colonoscopys. You could try mirelex but you would prob want to double the amount it says to take on the bottle. Also if you take any meds you may want to check and see if constipation is a side affect. good luck

Closed Thread