It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User
Abdominal Pain...almost like period cramps

A few weeks ago I had a bad bout of diarhea, perhaps food poisoning. It (along with stress perhaps) seems to have triggered my IBS.

Does anyone else notice that- could go somewhat symptom free for months, then something triggers it and it is bad?

-Gas, seems to be with whatever I eat. I eat healthy. OTC gas medicines don't help at all (Phasyzme is what I've tried...does something work better?)
-Abdominal pain. With or without gas. With or without having to go to the bathroom (a BM doesnt make the pain go away)
-Almost a low level burning in the intestines...Sometimes feels like period pains...it seems like the intestines are just exhausted and achy.

Does any of this relate to IBS?

Old 06-20-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
(female)

ADSUFTIN HB User
Re: Abdominal Pain...almost like period cramps

I also had food posoning a few weeks ago. And after that, I started to have low abdominal pain, on the right side, not even a pain, just like *****ling sensation. And like period cramps, and I am well into my menopause. I went to OBGN and he did ultrasound of my ovaries. Everything is clear. Same for PAP. But it really feels like period cramps. I think that it just gas pains.

Where do you feel your pain?

Alexa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

I have gotten specific pain (does seem to be the right side) that is achy. But it is an overall bloated feeling that is uncomfortable. Doesn't seem to be related to gas (although, have gotten that too). I suppose it could be constipation.

I think with IBS the colon and intestines are inflammed, so that is probably what is painful?

General abdominal discomfort.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

fibrostuff,

A bloated stomach and cramps usually means 3 things to me. That the friendly bacteria in your GI tract is out of balance and it needs to be re-balanced. I think it's a yeast/candida type infection. You can eat yogurt, Kefir and take probiotic supplements to help re-establish friendly bacteria balance. Pearls by Enzymatic Therapy, PB-8, Reuteri, Culturelle and Primal Defense are all very good.
I like and use Stonyfield Farm yogurt 3X daily (Contains 4 extra culture strains) and Lifeway Kefir that is loaded with friendly bacteria.
Yeast/candida thrive on sugary foods so you have to basically reduce or eliminate them for awhile until your candida that is normally present in your intestines is back to it's normal range for you.

And #2 you are not digesting the food you are eating adeqately. I like and use Omega Zyme also Essential Enzyemes.

And #3 your system lacks magnesium. Magnesium is in every cell of your body and 67% is in your bones but lacking can result in cramping as well as spasms. You may also need Calcium along with Vitamin D for Calcium absorption.

I have dealt with these problems for years but don't have periods. An extremely good homeopathic remedy for spasms & cramping that can happen in any part of your body is
Magnesia Phos -- 6X is OK. It is sold at most health food Stores now days.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 06-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Thank you for your suggestions. I try and take a more natural approach and your suggestions were great.

Have you had abdominal pain for multiple days in a row? I wake up with it and there is some slight variation of the pain but it is there all day.

Thank you!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

fibrostuff,

I have had abdomenal pain many times and have used all the suggestions that I wrote about.
I had chronic diverticular pain, bleeding-- had 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed a little over 6 years ago. I get gastritis anytime I take a round of antibiotics and I have had ulcers twice and had my gallbladder removed in 1997 because of abdo pain and the uncomfotable feeling.

God Bless---Harry

Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
(female)

kathy4399 HB User

Since I am not familiar with you (nor you with me) forgive me if I am putting my two cents in for something that has already been covered.

About a year ago, when my IBS-C reared it's ugly head, I was having cramps that felt like middle stages of labor. Yes, they were that bad and I ended up in the ER. It happened when I would could not have a bm, and sometimes during. My doctor put me on Levbid and I have had them only one other time but it was unrelated to the Levbid. Works wonders. I recently had a problem with getting a refill and the pharmacy did not carry the brand I was using (generic) and my doctor had not confirmed more refills, then when he did confirm another brand (generic but still Levbid) there was a manufacture shortage. Needless to say I went 10 days without this pill. I did not get the intense labor type pain but I did have serious cramping. I finally got the medication (Symax) and things are back to normal.

Are you on any kind of anti-spasmotic and if not, maybe it is something you could discuss with your doctor?

Old 06-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

I am not on any prescriptions. My doctor is on vacation, I have an appt. for when he returns. Thanks for your advice!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
(female)

paulagg1960 HB User

I Am A New Comer To This. I Have Been Reading On Some Of Your Questions And Answers On Ibs. This Problem Started For Me In My Late Twenties. I Am 47 Now. I Have Pain In The Abdominal Area And It Does Fill Like Birthing Pains. The Pain Grabs Your Stomach And Won't Let Go. I Have Tried Everything You Can Think Of. I Do Not Get Constipation I Get The Other Upset Stomach After I Eat. I Have Notice Over The Years I Can Not Eat Certain Foods. Especially Fried Foods. That's Where I Start Having The Problems. I Started Taking Probiotics(solar Ray) You Can Get At The Health Store. This Has Been The First Thing In Years That Has Worked For Me. So I Wanted To Share This Info With Anyone That Has This Problem. The Sorlar Ray Is To Be Kept In The Fridge. It Takes About A Good Month To Start Working For You. And You Have To Take Them Everyday ,do Not Miss A Day. Well I Hope This Helps Someone That Is Tired Of Going Out To Eat And Have To Go Straight To The Bathroom With A Upset Stomach. I Finally Found Something That Works For Me.

Closed Thread