It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 PM   #16
Inactive
(male)

ThankfulCOLO HB User
Re: 95% Improvement with VSL3

I'm the happiest man alive. I feel so free after that experience. My daughter rode with me on my motorcycle ( Meanstreak 1600 ) over to the old marital property pool and I talked our way in despite lighting off to the north, we swam and swam under the stars and then road home. So nice to only need to think about going 1 or 2 times in 24 hours and not 22 times and all blood. I feel normal and have hit the weights hard, everything is still sore so just going to go to bed tonight. Cheers! I feel 18 again.
Trying to eat only food you could get 500 years ago, baking own chicken in no sugar marinara sauce after canola oil, loosely following 'Specific Carbohydrate Deit'. I have been food logging since I got out of the hospital and it really hellps identify the wrong food.

Last edited by ThankfulCOLO; 08-26-2008 at 11:40 PM.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
(female)

artcardriver HB User

I have taken my 7th dose in as many days and the changes to my entire system are amazing. UC since birth, first BE and procto at age 2 (43 yrs ago), my UC is not as bad as it could become, but is debilitating, squeezing the quality right out of my life. After the severe bloating for 2 days, I switched to taking it only at 5pm. I physically FEEL better. Never have taken a probiotic before and only started this one because no other UC meds will work. If I don't take control to cure myself, I'll end up with no life at all. That's when I found vsl3 on line. Ordered it right from my local CVS in TX. I am ultra sensitive to all drugs so have started small and slow, and I'm glad I did. The first 2 days I looked like I could deliver a baby I was so bloated. After that, the bloating has become livable - do not drink carbonated beverages while taking this med, that's what did me in I think. I will post here again with my results after I've been on it longer. Hoping it's my cure, and if not my cure, then it will at least raise my quality of living. I am looking forward to the day when I can ride my motorcycle again, be out in the garage making art, engaging in social activities.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #18
(female)

moboomer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankfulCOLO View Post
Well the hospital was great except they never heard of it so when I showed improvement on salmon and plain yogurt only they let me out after 5 days, still bleeding and got the DS prescription variation right away and some samples from the GI office. I immediately stopped bleeding and have not had any blood since. I went from 22 times per day and mostly blood ( lost 35 lbs on a 175 lb frame ) to 1-2 times per day and normal.

I am off city water as I noticed it has a lot of chlorine in it and 2 neighbors have UC.

My diet is whole food with a few cheats.

I finished 1st box of VSL#3DS today and have 2 more. I only need to bust open one packet per day and use it twice and between food as much as possible.

More than that seems to be too much of a good thing. ( gas ).

I choppped my prednisone from 45 to 12.5 and the used more today since It looked like cold turkey was not going to workout comfortably and took around 25 today to zoom around get a lot done but I want off this stuff so I can sleep deep like last night and put the weight back on. I am up 10-15 lbs from the 140 bottom. Less pred = more weight gain.
I've lost 60 plus pounds, much of it muscle. My research has been very intense. I'm picking up an RX from my doctor for VSL#3DS. Spouse is retired military and VSL#3DS is listed in their formulary. I'm also increasing my intake of EFA#3 ( Essential Fatty Acids -Omega3). Have modified my diet somewhat and I am using digestive enzymes. My weight seems to have stabilized - I'm looking forward to being healthy. And, reducing my excessive use of toilet paper...

Last edited by moderator4; 09-02-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #19
(female)

artcardriver HB User

Found myself constipated at day 10 and afraid of impaction, so took the dreaded laxative (an osmotic of course). VSL people say this is normal for some people. Changed my diet to include more veggies, have been on straight protein and starch for months as I cannot digest fiber at all. Now my guts are probably as confused as they can be. Bloating has reduced, while passing gas has increased. Interesting. Have taken 15 doses so far. GI dr appt on the 18th. Have no idea how he'll react to this as he really wants me on Entecort or Asacol, both of which have either not worked or made me insane. Will keep you posted.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcardriver View Post
Found myself constipated at day 10 and afraid of impaction, so took the dreaded laxative (an osmotic of course). VSL people say this is normal for some people. Changed my diet to include more veggies, have been on straight protein and starch for months as I cannot digest fiber at all. Now my guts are probably as confused as they can be. Bloating has reduced, while passing gas has increased. Interesting. Have taken 15 doses so far. GI dr appt on the 18th. Have no idea how he'll react to this as he really wants me on Entecort or Asacol, both of which have either not worked or made me insane. Will keep you posted.
Whilr on another probiotic (not VSL3) I had a horrible problem with constipation, luckily, I've had none with VSL. I had increased my water intake ALOT and cut out all white bread. As it turned out....once I cut the white bread out, the constipation stopped. Everything is whole grain now. How much VSL are you taking per day? When you talk fiber are you talking about cereal types or things like powders ie inulin and the several other types out there?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #21
(female)

artcardriver HB User

I drink soooo much water. I try to be careful not to drink too much! I drink what my body tells me it needs. I'm a medical professional and this idea of "you must drink 64oz of water a day" is incorrect. I do probably drink more than that tho.
As far as the fiber reference, I can't drink ANY of those powdered fibers. They cause me a lot of pain. So do laxatives like Miralax, that everyone raves about. The abdominal pain is like being kicked by a horse - same with fiber suppliments or raw fruits or vegs. I can only digest cooked vegs or fruit without skin. I have added these back into my diet since started VSL with the hope they will curb my constipation.
Anyone out there experienced increased sinus phlegm?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #22
(female)

artcardriver HB User

Oh, and because I'm hypersensitive to all drugs, I started and am still on 1 powder package a day. I plan on getting the DS from my Dr. when I have my next visit.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

art,
I have not used VSL3 because water soluble fiber (psyllium seed husk) controls my BMs along with some probiotic that I use. But, I think VSL3 is probably the best product that has come along in a long time for people with IBS and UC.

The best thing that I have found for sinus problems is the Grossan Hydro Pulser that cleans out your sinus cavities --- used as needed -- it really works well.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 09-07-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

What is "DS".... Is this a different formulation that is in prescription form?

Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #25
Inactive
(male)

ThankfulCOLO HB User

My understanding is the same formula with 2x the volume = 900 Billion and your insurance 'WILL PAY FOR IT' which is huge just like with asacol. My insurance seems to have paid for the 12 doctors and 5 days in the new hospital.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #26
(female)

artcardriver HB User

Double Strength - and most insurance companies pay for it if a dr write you a script for VSL#3-DS. I'll be ck'ing on the flavor vs unflavored powder vs the pills.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #27
(female)

artcardriver HB User

Reader's Digest 9/08, page 22, under "health" has a blurb about VSL#3, quotes Scientific American and a researcher from Imperial College London. I bet more people seek out information about this probiotic now, as Reader's Digest is a huge publication. I've been on it less than a month and am very interested in what my GI dr will say about it on my next visit. I plan on asking for the DS (double strength) so insurance will cover the cost.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #28
(male)

russ60 HB User

cathy,

Since VLS3 is sensitive to being shipped in the heat and can loose it's potency during shipping, where can you buy it from?

I would like to try it but the companies I found during searching are not very close to where I live.

It is not against board rules to post where you get the product you are using from.

Thanks---Russ

Old 09-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE Removed]

Russ,

I get VSL3 directly from the manufacturer. It gets shipped within 3 days and it's packed in a cold packed box (very well packed). I get the capsules. Let us know how it works for you. It took me going up to two a day to see the best results but it may take less or more depending on each person. Russ, Apparently I can't post this site to you. Sadly, because of the rules, you are on your own trying to find it.

Last edited by cathy1; 09-21-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Quote is unnecessary and don't post commercial web sites.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #30
(male)

russ60 HB User

Cathy,

Thanks -- I will let you know about it. The IBS i have is under control with diet but I think VSL3 will help some other problems I have.
It certainly seems to help GI problems based on the research/reading I have done.
But since it is not a Drug it has not been widely advertised.
I was impressed that it has had such a significant affect on you and of course your life -- a person that has had IBS for 25 years

Thanks for the Info!!

Russ

Closed Thread