It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #31
Inactive
(male)

ThankfulCOLO HB User
Re: 95% Improvement with VSL3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy1 View Post
[QUOTE Removed]

Russ,

I get VSL3 directly from the manufacturer. It gets shipped within 3 days and it's packed in a cold packed box (very well packed). I get the capsules. Let us know how it works for you. It took me going up to two a day to see the best results but it may take less or more depending on each person. Russ, Apparently I can't post this site to you. Sadly, because of the rules, you are on your own trying to find it.
I get the DS from the local grocer pharmacy, let em know saturday and they let me know its going to be in their freezer monday.

I am beginning to wonder about asacal, as I dont think it did a single thing to put the breaks on this last flare. My 2nd flare nearly killed me and I now hear asacol can cause pancreatitis. I am curious about pancreas health because if it is not depositing the right enzymes at the top of the hopper I doubt good things are going to come out of the bottom ( fermentable carbs ). Still taking 12 per day but bloodwork was inconclusive on the pancreas so going at it again.
asacol - unknown for sure why I take it
prednisone - fairly certain it only is needed after it shuts down my adrenals
vsl#3 stopped all bleeding
salmon and plain yogurt while avoiding sugar/grain - great results
stress response, deep breathing and aerobics - very good also
Physilium husk - great and need to wait until 6 weeks out of hospital
array of adrenal support sups - no idea
cod liver oil and other 'snake oils' - none of them are a cure and I tried 100 'nicotine gum etc I tried every joke there was including low leve probiotics'.

I believe this time around I can find a core diet that allows me to put muscle back on while taking the winners from above and living flare-free, the more I feel it coming on the tighter my food spectrum becomes and I double check I am taking the other winners. Of course I will jack up asacal to 12 per day just to try that before ever going back on prednisone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #32
(female)

evansco2 HB User

Hi, this is the first post I have ever made to a medical board. I just started doing research on my tummy troubles. I think that I have IBS, although it has never been confirmed by a doctor. Please read my symptoms and tell me what you all think:

have had dierria for 10 years. Sometimes it it has a little consistancy to it, especially when I take immoduim pills (doulbel the recommended amount)

I have never had constipation, always dierria, sometime it is pure water consistancy sometime it even looks like chunks of undigested food. (sorry to be so graphic)

I have gas and bloating every minute of everyday, although it is lessened by a bowel movement.

The worst is my loud stomach noises. It gets really loud, especially after I eat a meal. It is so loud and embarrassing. It's like you can hear my stomach digest every morsal of food. It also makes terrible gurgling sounds. sometimes, it sounds like liquid is draining from the top to the bottom.

I don't get heart burn or nausia very often. It also seems like, even after I go to the bathroom and empty myself out, I still feel the bloating, gas, gurgling....just not as bad as before I go.

I have been reading this thread and I am going to try a few things, but I havent really read anyone symptoms on here like the ones that I am having. anyone else have a noisy stomach

Old 10-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #33
(female)

confused226 HB User

Does it stop severe, constant intestinal gas?

*~Chrissy~*

Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

Confused226 ---- It's marketed for IBS and Colitis so I would think it would surely help with those symptoms too. It's approx $40 and it takes less then 2 weeks *in some cases 1 week* to start working dramatically.... so it's so worth trying.

Russ:... I was amazed that it actually worked.. not just a little bit but so dramatically and SO QUICKLY. The fact that some MD's actually carry it was news to me. I'm really surprised and kinda angry actually that it's not more in the mainstream M.D. practices considering the data is so encouraging. Of course.. its because it's more "holistic" then "drug" oriented. I was miserable and getting worse until I stumbled across it on the net.... and within 3-4 days I saw a huge difference.

Last edited by cathy1; 10-09-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #35
Inactive
(male)

ThankfulCOLO HB User

Russ60 what are your diet controls ?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #36
(male)

russ60 HB User

ThankfulCOLO,

I eat a diet that is basically 80 alkiline and 20 acidic foods. High protein and low carbs.
It is based on several books -- The Zone by Barry Sears,PhD and Protein Power by Micheal & Mary Eades, MDs. I use some of their recommendations but not all.

I eat yogurt 3X daily, chicken, turkey, fish and no red meat or pork. I do use Whey sometimes. Some fruit and veggies including cantalopes. Rice is the only grain. No sweets or wheat products.

To have normal BMs I make sure I get enough fiber. Both soluble and insoluble fiber. I take supplemental fiber daily because high protein deits just do not give you enough fiber --- Proteins like all meats and dairy - don't contain any fiber-- so you have to get it some place. So-- I use psyllium seed husk powder twice daily mixed with water for soluble fiber and I take Oat brans tablets that I chew up with meals.
I don't drink anything but steam distilled water.

I have thought for a long time that the intestines needed probiotics for digestion as well as recolonizing the intestines. I have not started VSL3 yet -- just bought it but for years have taken probiotics daily. Probiotics is a sorta recent name that is used. For a while now I have been taking Pearls, Primal Defense, Culturelle, PB-8 and Bifidus.

I also take a digestive enzyme with each meal. Omega Zyme is good and Essential Enzymes there are others.

I make sure I get what I think are the proper vitamins and minerals as well as supplements that I don't think are contained in the food I eat -- A,B,C,D, &
E, Flaxseed oil & Omega 3 Fish oil essential fatty acids. calcium. magnesium, copper, manganese, selenium, boron, zinc and a few others.

Last edited by russ60; 10-16-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #37
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I haven't been diagnosed with IBS, but I have had a problem with chronic diarrhea for the last 5 months. It hits for 2-3 hours almost every morning and periodically throughout the day. (The exception to this has been during the last 2 weeks that my system has really been off because of surgery for reflux.) Blood and stool tests have come back negative. I finally had a Colonoscopy this week with no results. My GI doc put me on VSL3# DS twice a day for 10 days to see if it will help. Right after taking my first dosages, I was very nauseaus and had some explosive D. I plan on continuing to take the rest of the dosages as prescribed, but I am looking for more information on side effects. The packaging just mentions bloating. The internet searches I have done haven't provided much information.

I would appreciate any insight anyone may have on this.

Thanks
MR

Old 10-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

The dosage of the prescribed VSL3 is twice as powerful as the regular non-prescribed dose. I found a site that said that some patients report nausea with VSL#3 especially the double strength powder (that's what you're taking). The site said that reducing the dose often helps prevent this side effect. The site also said that those that are dairy allergic or sensitive to avoid VSL#3. You might want to start with 1/2 a packet for several days and see how that goes... then go up to one packet....etc.... it can't hurt to try that.

Is what you're talking flavored? I ask because some people react to gluten even though from what I've read the prescribed dose is virtually gluten free but even a tiny amount of gluten can set someone off. On a side note....Have you been checked for Celiac Disease? Are you allergic to dairy and have you tried cutting out dairy and tried a gluten free diet?

Last edited by cathy1; 10-17-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #39
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Cathy, thanks for your quick reply. I'm taking an unflavored version of the VSL#3DS.

I haven't been tested yet for either Celiac's disease or dairy allergies. I can say that while I haven't gone dairy free completely, that I stopped drinking regular milk and cut way back on all other dairy about 5 years ago because I had a lot of congestion. I've talked to my allergy doc about testing for food allergies, but even with insurance, the testing is way out of my budget right now. It wouldn't surprise me if I had food allergies. Seems I have developed allergies to most other things I have been tested for and new ones are popping up every year. I have an appt with my GI doc on the 30th to find out the results of my most recent labs. At that time, we will discuss of the VSL3 DS is helping and what my next steps are.

Because of my Fundoplication surgery, I have been on a liquid diet for the last couple weeks. I just got clearance to add in soft foods that don't need much chewing and are easy to swallow. No bread or meat for the next couple months at least. This will give me the chance to see if I have reactions as I add food back into my diet.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

Be sure to have them check for Celiac disease... its very undiagnosed.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #41
Inactive
(male)

ThankfulCOLO HB User

I dont have that problem, I hope it settles down for you. I gently increased dosage until I thought it was too much. Later I doubled that. Initially I was taking half the DS packet once or twice per day, now I take the full DS packet twice per day with psyllium husk at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I haven't been diagnosed with IBS, but I have had a problem with chronic diarrhea for the last 5 months. It hits for 2-3 hours almost every morning and periodically throughout the day. (The exception to this has been during the last 2 weeks that my system has really been off because of surgery for reflux.) Blood and stool tests have come back negative. I finally had a Colonoscopy this week with no results. My GI doc put me on VSL3# DS twice a day for 10 days to see if it will help. Right after taking my first dosages, I was very nauseaus and had some explosive D. I plan on continuing to take the rest of the dosages as prescribed, but I am looking for more information on side effects. The packaging just mentions bloating. The internet searches I have done haven't provided much information.

I would appreciate any insight anyone may have on this.

Thanks
MR

Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 AM   #42
(female)

moboomer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcardriver View Post
I drink soooo much water. I try to be careful not to drink too much! I drink what my body tells me it needs. I'm a medical professional and this idea of "you must drink 64oz of water a day" is incorrect. I do probably drink more than that tho.
As far as the fiber reference, I can't drink ANY of those powdered fibers. They cause me a lot of pain. So do laxatives like Miralax, that everyone raves about. The abdominal pain is like being kicked by a horse - same with fiber suppliments or raw fruits or vegs. I can only digest cooked vegs or fruit without skin. I have added these back into my diet since started VSL with the hope they will curb my constipation.
Anyone out there experienced increased sinus phlegm?
I've experienced an extreme increase in sinus discharge. Since I've started the VSL#3DS, the discharge has slowed down, but not gone away. I haven't been on the VSL very long. I'm taking a packet a day and working my way up to 2 packets a day. I put the powder into apple juice and the taste is almost not noticeable. Almost. Diet still has a big influence on how I feel. Since starting the VSL, my gut pain has almost gone away completely and the number of trips to the bathroom greatly reduced. Sure has improved my outlook on life!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mo... that's great news! I wouldn't be without the VSL3. Now that I know I can get it prescribed, I'm going to ask my Dr. for it. From what I understand it's important to work one's way up to the dose that works for you especially with the prescribed dosages as they are twice as potent.

Last edited by cathy1; 10-27-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #44
(female)

Shreela HB User

Hi, looking back, it seems I was having the beginning stages of what seemed to be IBS, but it wasn't until a little over 6 months ago that it became severe. After a few rounds of antibiotics, an ultrasound, colonoscopy, and 2 CT scans to rule out things like cancer, diverticulitis, and obstruction, I did an elimination diet and thought I might be celiac after I got better when I stopped wheat, and got worse when I challenged myself with wheat. My GP tested me for celiac, but I'd already been off wheat a while, but he looked it up in his lab book, and showed me in the book where it didn't state that gluten-challenge was required

BUT, after slowly building my diet back up from the elimination diet, I still had the occasional attack despite not eating wheat (peas, veggie form and dried caused me TERRIBLE attacks!) So, I found(REMOVED web site)which explained about insoluble and soluble fibers, so I did another elimination diet, but this time exasperating my challenges of processed wheat and whole grain wheat (which was what I was eating until I stopped wheat products).

I handled the processed wheat fine, but had attacks from the whole grain wheat, so that's how I "self-diagnosed" myself with IBS, with insoluble fiber as my main trigger.

After further research, I started taking digestive enzymes and probiotics, which helped a lot. I went for at least a month without even a minor attack. But I started skipping my probiotics because I was feeling so much better, and recently ate too much chocolate on the same day I ate a large serving of meatloaf, and I'm on a liquid diet again until my gut settles down.

My husband has an appointment this week with either the GP or PA (I forgot to ask who he was seeing), and I was hoping to call Monday morning to see if I can piggy-back his appointment to see if I can get a dr's order for VSL3. I'm thinking of printing this thread and the website of the company that makes it to bring with me.

Does anyone know if it has to be a Dr. that writes the prescription, or can a PA write it also?

PS: I've read about people being gassy at first while on this; my husband and I both were gassy a few days after starting on IBS-Advantage and Kyo-Dophilus (L. acidophilus; B. bificum; B. longum) from GNC.

Last edited by moderator4; 11-07-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Posting web sites are not allowed. Read the Posting Policy.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:34 AM   #45
(female)

moboomer HB User

VSL3#DS is prescription strength and covered by insurance. The DS stands for double strength. VSL#3 doesn't seem to be covered by insurance. Also, there are pharmacists out there who are not aware of prescription strength probiotics and not all pharmacies know how to order it.

Closed Thread