It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #46
(female)

trudy99 HB User
Re: 95% Improvement with VSL3

Has anyone experienced side effects when they initially take VSL3. I have burning in my abdomen and the lovely diarrhea. Is this common? This is my second day with VSL3.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #47
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had some nausea and loss of appetite. It didn't last long though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #48
(female)

MississippiGirl HB User

Cathy does this help with gas also? I have IBS, but what bothers me the most is the extreme gas and pain.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #49
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiGirl View Post
Cathy does this help with gas also? I have IBS, but what bothers me the most is the extreme gas and pain.
Mississipppi, I would think it would help with many GI problems including yours. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #50
(female)

moboomer HB User

It should help with the gas after a while. Too much VSL at first can cause gas. The gas many of us experience before taking VSL is from an unhealthy gut that has fermenting food that isn't being processed properly. Probiotics are so incredibly amazing.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #51
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

A good treatment for thrush as well as candida/ yeast infections is virgin coconut oil. A natrual candida killer -- Caprylic acid is derived from it. The oil has other benefits also.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #52
(female)

moboomer HB User

Milk is one of the food allergens. Instead of buying lactaid milk, why not just eliminate milk? It's what we did for our son and what a huge difference. We use rice milk. Vanilla for us and plain for cooking. We still use regular butter, which has not been a problem for him or us. ( removed ) Before we switched from cow's milk to rice milk, our son couldn't finish a meal without running to the bathroom. Many of us parents become very diligent researchers and experimenters. Best of luck to you and your family.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-19-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 12-20-2008, 04:59 AM   #53
(female)

precious49 HB User

Hi Harry,
I was not aware that virgin coconut oil would get rid of thrush--Thanks
God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay precious
The last time I had thrush, I took what the Dr. prescribed and also used half water and half apple cider vinegar to swish in my mouth and it really helped.

Last edited by precious49; 12-20-2008 at 05:03 AM. Reason: more info

Old 12-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #54
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User
questions on taking VSL3 with fiber, lomotil...

Happy Holidays all! I read with interest all the posts about VSL3 and found a local pharmacy that carries it. Took my first packet last night...did make me feel very full for a while, but that feeling subsided by bedtime.

I've had IBS-D for over 15 years now. Have had all the tests, tried all the meds with no luck. This past summer I started on acacia fiber which was a godsend. Within a week of starting it, my stomach calmed down considerably. So much so that I actually went to the movies (2x in one week!) for the first time in 10 years! I've been faithfully taking acacia fiber daily, and when I have to leave the house for any length of time, I do pop immodium or lomotil.

I'm wondering if I can still take my fiber while I take VSL3? I have never suffered from constipation and certainly do not want to start now! The fiber I take has its own probiotics in it...can you take too much of it??

I am so happy to hear about something that is helping 'us'. I think we should all make plans to meet on some nice warm island (coz we'll all be able to get on an airplane and travel w/o needing a potty right??) and celebrate!

Thanks,
SB

Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #55
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Can you take vsl3 if you have the ibs combination C and D kind?Thankyou.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #56
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

I'm not sure what the C & D means - constipation? I don't see why you can't take it regardless of particulars. Just be sure not to take to much of it if you are using the packets from a Doctor as they are stronger and you need to build up or it will cause gas and bloating.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #57
(female)

moboomer HB User

I'm on VSL#3DS along with Lovaza 1 gm 4xday. Lovaza is prescription strength Omega 3. Omega 3 is an anti-inflammatory. I'm finding it makes a great deal of difference.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 AM   #58
(male)

rivered HB User

I'm not sure if I have IBS but I've been having diarrhea for months, the only probiotic out of the 7 I've tried including VSL#3 that works is Primadophilus Reuteri. I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night, maybe this is worth a try if VSL doesn't help. Yucult also helps me a bit.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #59
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

I use VSL3 too i have a stash in my fridge. But when things are ok i find if i take them i overload my bowel and i can get trouble that way. I just had a bout of diarroreah and i was sure it was another bout of campylocabactor i go tlast year. I sent off a stool specimen and it came back clear, i was astonished. Im on antibiotics and it has relieved the diarroearh but im still getting bad tummy aches especially in the morning, it wakes me up. I thought i ought to take some VSL3 because of taking the anti's but im kind of scared to as i dont want to make things worse than they are. Should i take them, or let things settle on their own? im so fed up with this.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #60
(female)

lylah HB User

May I suggest the book "Great Taste, No Pain" as it works wonders. Follow what the book tells you and it really does work. Just go on search and type in Great Taste. She tells you what to eat and why and it is so helpful which also gives you relief from the pain.

Closed Thread