It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #76
(female)

lylah HB User
Re: 95% Improvement with VSL3

You sure have had your share of problems. What does UC mean? I have enjoyed this board so much as I was on Align and had to stop taking it because it made me constipated so I'm back on Bentyl and doing fine.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #77
(female)

moboomer HB User
Talking Re: 95% Improvement with VSL3

I'm abbreviating Ulcerative Colitis to UC.

I've done a lot of research on Irritable Bowel Diseases (IBD).

One item of interest that I mentioned to my dr. was that many with UC are low in vitamin D.
I was tested and am low on D.
Starting high doses of D3 immediately.
D3 is what's needed by people.
Liquid is the way to take D3, not solid pill form.

Still need to calm the large bowel and eliminate the diarrhea.

More women than men contract UC.
Usually to smokers or past smokers.
Weird, but some research showed that tobacco can help.
As I became a non-smoker over 18 years ago, I'll skip the tobacco route.

Also, it normally hits younger people. I'm 59 next month.
Have been dancing with Irritable bowel for several years, but didn't know what was going on.
Symtoms kept increasing, but slow enough that I just let the condition slide.

Artificial sweeteners, especially HFCS and Crystilline corn syrup can wreak havoc on the gut. Also on the liver and raise the triglyceride count.

I am optimistic about regaining my health. I am unsure, but it seems as taking VSL may become a permanent addition to my diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #78
Inactive
(male)

ThankfulCOLO HB User

What about Carrageenan ? They can induce UC into any animal with enough Carrageenan.

I found it was in my toothpaste, its in ice cream, its in a lot of things. Whole foods seem to work for me. Lots of processed foods and sweets dont. Some junk does not bother me, working late I had 2 big bags of famous amos choco chip cookies with coffee yesterday. No problem.

At qdoba I have the naked burrito with chicken rice veggies ( no beans ) and my body loves it. If I have the burrito - not so good. Some flour tortillas use carrageenan as a thickener, qdboa is not answering my inquiries.

Regardless if I feel things slipping and I was hospitalized 1 year ago and lost 135 lbs on a 175 lb no fat frame - I simply eat salmon in butter ( butyrate ) or salmon with canola especially from whole-paycheck ( whole foods ) plain yogurt and vsl3. Bang zoom I am better in 24-48 hours.

Physllium husk is wonder but dont go hog wild, work your way up gently.

I still take some asacol but I dont think it does anything for me.

Cereal is gone from my diet, oh and triscuts or whole mini wheats with candy on them that my daughter likes wreck havoc with me so I avoid that stuff as well as chocolate which usually has Carrageenan in it too.

I have become more sensitive than the average person to the 1st worlds food additives. I am actively trying to recognize others but its always safe to eat food you could only get 500 years ago.

Summer is coming, remaining hydrated is also important in the heat. The gut uses water to digest food.

- Bacterial defense => VSL#3
- Chemical defense => avoid food additives and highly processed foods
- Dont stop eating if things turn worse, instead keep eating core trusted foods drink lots of water and eat vitamins and avacados, eggs etc.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #79
(female)

lylah HB User

Moboomer, there is a book called "Great Taste, No Pain" and it is a wonderful book along with recipes which has helped me tremendously! Sherry Brescia is the one that wrote the book as she had IBS and is a registered nurse. I can't tell you how much this book has helped me!! I know you won't regret buying the book.
It's good for IBS, Crohn's, Diverticulitis and much more. I was in so much pain before I bought this book and now I don't have any pain when I follow the book. My husband has pancreatitis and it has helped him also.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-27-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: read and follow the rules.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #80
(female)

Angels9122 HB User

Lylah, colonization in the gut area means that the probiotic you are taking begins to establish itself and clings to the intestines or colon. It colonizes, or multiplies, and crowds out the bad bacteria. I have found that after 5 days on VSL#3 my symptoms were at least 90% better. HOWEVER, I also found discovered that after one month, my symptoms started returning because CONTRARY to what many people say, you CAN take too much of a probiotic. In my case I discovered that too much was giving me symptoms. I stopped the VSL and so far ( it's been one week) I have no symptoms. When my symptoms start returning, I will then go back to the VSL. So far, so good!! It has truly been wonderful for me as I have suffered for 3 yrs. with Post-infectuous IBS. I actually forgot what it was like to feel normal. I hope this answered your question about colonization.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #81
(female)

lylah HB User

Angels9122, I appreciated your explanation of colonize as it really cleared thins up for me. I had colon cancer in 2002 and they removed half of the colon, both ovaries, gall bladder & 2 lymph nodes. I'm doing quite well until IBS hit me this year. I take Bentyl 4 X daily which seems to help. However, I had to find a new doctor and she put me on Align for 1 month trial. I had to come off from it as I was so constipated and back on my Bentyl. It seems to be much better again.

Closed Thread