It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

Gavi112 HB User
Severe pain before a bowel movement

Bit of a long story - Year ago I started to get stabbing pains in my back at waist level on waking in morning which is also the time I have my first of usually three bowel movements. The pain went after I had a) got up and walked to bathroom and b) had a bowel movement. My Dr said it could be either back or bowels . I have a badly damaged spine which is confusing issue.
Few months later I had severe stabbing pains in my abdomen and to cut a long story short I ended up having my appendix out and a good rummage around and surgeon could find nothing wrong.
He arranged for me to have a colonoscopy which I had 4 months ago and all completely normal.
For past 6 months I have been getting this severe stabbing pain on left side of my back at waist level about 5 mins after I wake up - exactly same time as my bowel becomes active - I can feel the movement and pass lots of wind. Eventually after maybe 20 mins I have my first bowel movement. The pain goes until about 30 mins before my next bowel movement. etc etc.
I am about to have another mri of my lumbar spine to see if my spine has worsened and am seeing a gastroentrologist for second opinion in 5 weeks.
Have been told that my spinal damage could be affecting the nerves to my bowel which is why the severe pain is only linked to bowel activity.
I also of course have all the pain etc from my damaged spine!
No pain killers can work as by time they start working I have had all my bowel movements anyway!
Just wondered if anyone else has experienced severe pain in the lead up to a bowel movement???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
(male)

russ60 HB User
Re: Severe pain before a bowel movement

It sound like cramping due to lack of magnesium in your diet??

Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
(female)

MissMelisa HB User

I have been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and your symptoms match mine exactly. 20 exploratory surgeries, a gallbladder removal, an appendectomy and more have been done and all we could find as an answer was IBS.
I has SEVERE (and still do) abdominal pain for up to 10 minutes before a bowel movement, loose, mucus-containing stools, SEVERE bloating (at one point I swelled so much that I looked 7 months pregnant as I have a slender build), nausea (at times) and the pain and nausea is relieved within minutes of a BM.
Since the doctors don't have a 'cure' for IBS and surgery is too risky for me since I've had so many surgeries, colonoscopies, etc, I will be on pain medications for the rest of my natural life.
I understand your problem all too well. I would suggest asking your doctor about IBS, it's symptoms, etc. There is no test for IBS...only tests to rule out other causes.
I hope helps comes swiftly to you. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

MissMelisa HB User

I have been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and your symptoms match mine exactly. 20 exploratory surgeries, a gallbladder removal, an appendectomy and more have been done and all we could find as an answer was IBS.
I has SEVERE (and still do) abdominal pain for up to 10 minutes before a bowel movement, loose, mucus-containing stools, SEVERE bloating (at one point I swelled so much that I looked 7 months pregnant as I have a slender build), nausea (at times) and the pain and nausea is relieved within minutes of a BM.
Since the doctors don't have a 'cure' for IBS and surgery is too risky for me since I've had so many surgeries, colonoscopies, etc, I will be on pain medications for the rest of my natural life.
I understand your problem all too well. I would suggest asking your doctor about IBS, it's symptoms, etc. There is no test for IBS...only tests to rule out other causes.
I hope helps comes swiftly to you. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavi112 View Post
Bit of a long story - Year ago I started to get stabbing pains in my back at waist level on waking in morning which is also the time I have my first of usually three bowel movements. The pain went after I had a) got up and walked to bathroom and b) had a bowel movement. My Dr said it could be either back or bowels . I have a badly damaged spine which is confusing issue.
Few months later I had severe stabbing pains in my abdomen and to cut a long story short I ended up having my appendix out and a good rummage around and surgeon could find nothing wrong.
He arranged for me to have a colonoscopy which I had 4 months ago and all completely normal.
For past 6 months I have been getting this severe stabbing pain on left side of my back at waist level about 5 mins after I wake up - exactly same time as my bowel becomes active - I can feel the movement and pass lots of wind. Eventually after maybe 20 mins I have my first bowel movement. The pain goes until about 30 mins before my next bowel movement. etc etc.
I am about to have another mri of my lumbar spine to see if my spine has worsened and am seeing a gastroentrologist for second opinion in 5 weeks.
Have been told that my spinal damage could be affecting the nerves to my bowel which is why the severe pain is only linked to bowel activity.
I also of course have all the pain etc from my damaged spine!
No pain killers can work as by time they start working I have had all my bowel movements anyway!
Just wondered if anyone else has experienced severe pain in the lead up to a bowel movement???
IBS can be very unpredictable as far as where the pain starts and ends and many people with IBS experience lots of gas and bloating. I have had IBS since 1996 and get a lot of trapped gas that is only relieved by having a bowel movement. Mine is usually caused by something I ate most of the time. When you can feel the movement it's probably because your colon is in a spasm which why you have the pain before the bowel movement and why it's relieved once you have passed gas and had a bowel movement. Every time your colon goes into a spasm that is when you feel the most pain.
The only thing that I found that has reduced the amount of spasms is taking a probiotic in combination with Bentyl and taking Citrucel twice a day. My IBS alternates between bouts of severe constipation to explosive diarrhea. The bouts of diarrhea is usually linked to a spicy,gassy, or a very high fat meal right before the pain starts from the spasms that doubles me over in pain and running to the bathroom. Because my problem with IBS is mostly the constipation problem I have changed my diet and drinking. I am on a high fiber diet and drink lots of water. I now sit on the toilet every day at the same time to have a bowel movement. This has reduced my trapped gas problem and most of spasms before bowel movements. I use slow deep breathing exercises which help to relax all my muscles to have a pain free bowel movement. Because I have had the constipation problem all my life I can't even skip one day without having a bowel movement or I pay dearly the next day with the pain of trying to go.

Closed Thread