It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

Shelby_36 HB User
Help- scared today with weird flare-up with fever? HBP?

I need some help desperately. I have had IBS for years and usually experince the normal symptoms of cramps and diahrea after certain foods and/or during high stress times. I have medicine for it but sometimes don't take it when I am going through a "quiet time" when my stomach has been setlled. The only side effect of the medicine is constipation which is bothersome in itself sometimes 7-10 days long. So I try not to take it all the time to give my body a break.

However I want some advice on two "episodes" i've had- One last Wednesday and one today. I eat lunch and 10 minutes later my stomach starts crfamping- ok normal for me no biggie. However on these particular days I wander down to the restroom thinking ok, I;ll be ok after I use the bathroom but instead I'm not sick but I start feeling really weird- I can feel my heart in my mouth. I have a weird taste on the roof of my mouth (not acid something else and not coming from my throat) - Then the weirdest scariest part. I get warm in my chest/torso and it travels up through my chest up my neck into my face. THis goes on for a few minutes and my face and chest look sunburned. I feel almost feverish but only in my chest(skin above cleavage) and my face. This ran in cycles with my stomach hurting me running to the bathroom and then the heat and throbbing thing. I finally got sick about an hour later with no fever and no pain and have felt fine ever since excpet for tiredness, a little dizziness and a slight headache. I do have High blood pressure I take meds for so I am concerned that this is my BP making me feel hot. I have not been able to access a cuff during these two episodes and by the time I can get to one my blood pressure is close to normal (for me at least)

I need to make an appt for my dr. But I know they won't get to see the symptoms (i'm going to start taking my meds everyday constipation or not) but does ANYONE have any clue? Am I progressing to something more serious like Crohns, or something?

Any help would be appreciated because today left me a little scared.

(I'm a 42 yr. old female)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

confused226 HB User
Re: Help- scared today with weird flare-up with fever? HBP?

Hey hun.

Well, I know with Chron's you can get fevers. I'm thinking that it's possible it was your BP rising, but another thought came to mind...Pre-menopause? You're in your early 40's but it doesn't really mean anything, does it? I don't know much about that being that I'm only 22 and you'd know way more than I would, but I'm saying...it could've been that. Sounds like it could've been a hot flash. But honestly it sounds more or less your BP rised. I think you should bring it up to your doc and explain exactly how you felt. Maybe you do have some type of Chron's going on. A friend of mine has it and gets fevers a lot and is in the hospital a lot of the time with stomach pain too. Good luck!

Christina

*~Chrissy~*

Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
(female)

cece22 HB User

Shelby, I have exact symtoms and this has been going on for three years. I have had all the tests and they are not remarkable. My current diagnosis is diverticulitis, but I question this as most of the testing doesn't show any pronounced sites. My doctor just keeps saying that this is the probable cause. I have given up lots of wonderful and favorite things (nuts, popcorn, seeds, chocolate, etc.), but I cannot pin it to a particular food, although heavy grease will frequently trigger it. My symptoms start with mild stomach cramps and as I get to the bathroom, they become severe. I turn as red as a beet, feel feverish and my eyes run. My face looks weird. Then, the cramps, vomiting and diarrhea ensue--- for up to 4 hours. Episodes can then continue intermittently for 2-3 days. ( My doctor did test for some special kind of polyps or growths in the intestine as this would trigger same symptom, but there was no evidence of such). I use Metamucil, with a high fiber diet. This drives me batty, as I cannot eat out and must always know where a bathroom is located! I would certainly like to hear from anyone else who has these symptoms and has had successful treatment.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
(female)

Shelby_36 HB User

Well I took my blood pressure after I posted this. 5 hours after the last episode my BP was 154/90 which is high for me- I am on meds for HBP.

I was eating pepperoni when I got sick both times so I'm figuring that was the trigger but I still worry that I have a blockage, possibly temporary that is causing the pain and HBP. I called my dr but she can't see me till Nov 18. I feel fine now but my BP has been weird all weekend.

You suppose the first thing they'll do is a colonoscopy? I've had my GB out 8 years ago so I know its not that.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
(female)

cece22 HB User

Shelby, HBP might be a factor in your situation, but HBP seems to be a systemic problem and fluctuates with any added complication. You probably need to have testing---just to rule out potential problems. Do you have a reflux problem? This seems to accentuate my episodes. If you are going to the bathroom on a regular basis, then I would doubt a blockage, but I think some tests would give you some peace of mind. Thanks for the info on the GB as I had been thinking that this might be a contributor. There's always someone telling us that we are probably too stressed. I would argue, but who knows?? The best to you as you try to figure this out. I'll keep check. C

Closed Thread