It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

karenrenee HB User
Unhappy Self-Diagnosing IBS??

I cannot afford a doctor visit right now...as i have NO insurance. So, I would like to know if there is a way to narrow down to IBS? I can give a little detail on my symptoms and would appreciate anyones input.

alternating constipation/diarreah
severe cramping seems to only be at night (lasting until i eventually have a bm or until i finally go to sleep)
large meals
fried foods and tomato products are usually a trigger of cramping
have moments of difficult breathing and panic which are followed by a rough night
just a stressful day or worrying about finances or children, ect

The cramping/uncomfortable BMs are not an everyday occurance. But the cramping is sometimes so severe i would do anything for it to go away! I may go months without having any problems at all. I have not noticed any mucus in the BM, so that is different than most. I do not normally have bleeding. The ONLY time bleeding occurs is when the stool is extremely large and hard.

If this is NOT IBS, what could else could it be?
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
(female)

precious49 HB User
Re: Self-Diagnosing IBS??

Hi karenrenee,
I do have IBS and your symtoms do sound alot like that could be it. My cramping is so bad at times that it make me remember birthing my babies. I found that I was also Lactose Intolerant (milk products) and lactose is in almost all processed foods. There are other names also--whey,monosodium glutamate,lactic acid,etc--I have to read labels on everything. When I quit getting milk products in my system--then I have no more diarrhea. And there are alot of good soy products. If you are interested I will share that info with you. As for the constipation I added alot of fiber--and drink lots of water or things with water in them. I also know what you mean about not being able to breath and panic--it hurts so bad that I've had to call my husband to the bathroom to help me--I would even sweat alot and shake uncontrolably. Finally realized that I was almost going into shock so I would drink as much water as I could and that helped. Hope this helps you a little. precious49
God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

karenrenee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by precious49 View Post
If you are interested I will share that info with you.

That would be wonderful! I am not going to say its good to know that I am not the only one....I would never wish this on anyone! I am just glad that you were willing to share with me. THank you!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I do not see anything alarming in that list of symptoms. I'm not saying that you necessarily have IBS, just that I don't see evidence that you have anything terribly dangerous. I agree with Precious that you should try changes to diet and lifestyle and see if that helps.

Try eliminating dairy for a while, try eliminating gluten. Either lactose intolerance or celiac disease can produce those types of problems. Eat fiber, this should include whole fruits and veggies as well as whole grains (unless you decide grains are bad for you).

Old 01-01-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
(female)

precious49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenrenee View Post
That would be wonderful! I am not going to say its good to know that I am not the only one....I would never wish this on anyone! I am just glad that you were willing to share with me. THank you!
Good New Year Morning karenrenee,
I pray that you have a good day. And I know what you mean about not wishing this on someone else. It's difficult to live with but the soy products have made my life easier--(I should own stock in them--not now I guess--These are the best products that I've tryed so far and I'm very pleased with the taste and have incorporated them into my receipes and no one can tell--sometimes they say it's alot better. I use Silk Milk and Willow Run Soybean Butter--they are expensive but well worth it and my colon loves me for it. If people have never experienced the severe cramping that you and I have had and how it makes you feel afterwards--yes, it can be dangerous--don't let it go to long if you don't get better by changing how you eat. I've also started taking Probiotic Dietary Supplements (acidophilus)--Florajen is the name of what I'm taking--you can get it at a pharmacy that does compounding--it helps with digestion--it's the good bacteria that alot of medications kill. You don't need a prescription. I have gone a week many times without going to the bathroom and then I would have explosive diarrhea--not fun--but when I gave up the dairy and used alot of natural fiber then I'm doing alot better. I pray that this helps you and I pray that this year is a good one with no colon pain. precious49
ps--I will put you on my daily prayer list cause sometimes The Great Physician is the only one that can help.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
(female)

Rainy20 HB User

Hi, I want to thank you for the lactose info. I had no idea. No wonder I have attacks over some foods I would never think are lactose. I also had a question. My Dr. wants me to get a Colonoscopy & the other procedure from the top end, is this something I should do since I have had this for 5 years now?

Old 01-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

I would most definitely have the tests your Doctor suggested. They are the only way to diagnose IBS. IBS never causes bleeding and should always be investigated. Having said that, it does sound much like me and my medically diagnosed IBS. The blood is most likely caused by a small tear but please have it diagnosed properly, we are not Doctors. All the best.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
(female)

precious49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy20 View Post
Hi, I want to thank you for the lactose info. I had no idea. No wonder I have attacks over some foods I would never think are lactose. I also had a question. My Dr. wants me to get a Colonoscopy & the other procedure from the top end, is this something I should do since I have had this for 5 years now?
Hello Rainy20,
I agree with vh90453--you definitely should have all tests to eliminate or to confirm. And Lactose is an enemy if you are Lactose Intolerant. There are so many processed foods that contain it and you never know unless you are aware of the hidden names they use. My life is so much easier when I stay away from them. I have changed all my receipies over the years and they are as good if not better and they sure are alot better for us. I will be willing to help you as much as you want to get rid of all Lactose containing products. Just let me know There is a test they can do to confirm Lactose Intolerance. Some Drs. still don't believe that it is a real thing--I pray that your Dr. is informed. Please have the tests done. precious49

Old 01-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
(female)

Rainy20 HB User

Hi Precious. There is something a bit upseting though that I did not understand with this doctor. I told her my major sensitvity was milk, and she mentioned the day before the procedure, IF I get it, I should drink Boost? From what I understand, this has dairy in it? She also mentioned my Gallbladder, which is no where near where I have had any sort of pain. My pain is related only to gas. I am just very confused and seriously think IM going to look for another doctor, my first two did not want to put me through tests since the diets helped me just fine. Thank you again for any input.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
(female)

precious49 HB User

Quote:
Hi Precious. There is something a bit upseting though that I did not understand with this doctor. I told her my major sensitvity was milk, and she mentioned the day before the procedure, IF I get it, I should drink Boost? From what I understand, this has dairy in it? She also mentioned my Gallbladder, which is no where near where I have had any sort of pain. My pain is related only to gas. I am just very confused and seriously think IM going to look for another doctor, my first two did not want to put me through tests since the diets helped me just fine. Thank you again for any input.
Rainy20,
I pray that you're doing OK. That doesn't make any sense to me. Yes, Boost does have dairy in it. I know that some Drs. don't believe in Lactose Intolerance. What did this one say about it? I'm so sorry that you're having so much trouble. Maybe she wanted to see the reaction to your system with the Boost? That really puzzles me. precious49 God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

How can doctors not believe in lactose intolerance? At least 75% of the population of East Asia above the age of 10 is lactose intolerant, and that's, oh, about a billion people.

I suppose there are people who falsely believe they are lactose intolerant, but the same goes for just about any condition.

Good luck in getting this sorted out!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
(female)

Rainy20 HB User

These little errors is what concerns me. Mind you I went in with questions on my False Positive Mammogram, and she seemed more concered with my IBS. I have been living with this for over five years. When I choose to be good, my stomach is just fine. I told her my trigger foods, telling her Dairy is the biggest no no. I have never had Boost, but then went to my site where it lists ingredients, and Boost has lactose. So why on earth would she give me that, right before a procedure that is already going to be so hard on my system? I am seriously thinking of finding another doctor.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
(female)

Rainy20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
How can doctors not believe in lactose intolerance? At least 75% of the population of East Asia above the age of 10 is lactose intolerant, and that's, oh, about a billion people.

I suppose there are people who falsely believe they are lactose intolerant, but the same goes for just about any condition.

Jane I have no clue, but it seems I should of just stayed with my first doctor, who put me on the diet, before sending me off for grueling tests, and worked just fine. I just wonder how someone can walk into a office with one problem and leave with another.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #14
(female)

precious49 HB User

Quote:
These little errors is what concerns me. Mind you I went in with questions on my False Positive Mammogram, and she seemed more concered with my IBS. I have been living with this for over five years. When I choose to be good, my stomach is just fine. I told her my trigger foods, telling her Dairy is the biggest no no. I have never had Boost, but then went to my site where it lists ingredients, and Boost has lactose. So why on earth would she give me that, right before a procedure that is already going to be so hard on my system? I am seriously thinking of finding another doctor.
Good Early Morning Rainy20,
Did the Dr. do anything about your Mammogram? I know what you mean about being good--my system works pretty good if I stay away from the dairy. The more I think about it, the more puzzled I get. If I would have lactose before a procedure, I would be so sick and probably wouldn't be able to have the procedure because I would be cramping and crapping so much that they wouldn't be able to do it. But you know Drs. are so stupid sometimes and if they don't have the problem themselves--well, they have no clue. And I've learned that "They Don't Listen" to us. I truly think that you're right--another Dr. that understands Lactose Intolerance would be a better choice. precious49 God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Old 01-11-2009, 03:34 AM   #15
(female)

precious49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post

Good Early Morning janewhite1,
Because Drs. are sometimes stupid and not aware. We have Native Indian blood in my family--my great,great Grandfather was full blood Osage Indian--well, I don't look Indian much at all and some of the Drs. I've been to look at me like--what are you talking about. I almost died when I was born because I couldn't process the milk and thank God for an old timey Dr. that had common sense--He put me on Soymilk. I went to a good friend's colon Dr. that she loved--Heard a couple with a baby discussing exactly what happened to me when I was born--I started talking to them about Lactose Intolerance--the nurse heard me and apparently told the Dr. and he came out and told the parents that there was no such thing as Lactose Intolerance especially in children. I've often wondered what happened to that poor little baby. Needless to say--I didn't like my friend's Dr. but he helped her with her problem. And I think that there are alot of people out there that don't know they have a lactose problem--they think--I've picked up a virus or it was bad food. I actually got to where I was able to tolerate milk products at about 5yrs. old until I was 28yrs. old and it started up again but it took a long time for me to realize what it was and I went to alot of Drs. with the problem--My Mom and I didn't think lactose could be the problem because of me being able to tolerate it for 23yrs. It is truly hard to understand why Drs. can't think outside the box. precious49 God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Closed Thread