It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2003, 10:10 AM   #1

Juan Jose Marin HB User
Post Variable stool shapes. IBS?

for last months, I've had changes in my stools: Sometimes I've only one, well formed and rounded.
Sometimes, loose and flat (1" x 0.5")
Sometimes mixed, several rounded and several flat
Sometimes shape changes in the same stool: rounded, flat, rounded...
Sometimes the first BM has normal rounded stools, and second has flat stools.
Sometimes 1st is flat and 2nd is normal

Flat stools predominate over rounded ones, but I can stay 2-3 days with rounded.

As I remember, I've had no constipations, but I've had diarheas.
Never has blood, but lately I pass mucus.
I've too many gasses, and abdominal noises, approx half hour after a meal.

For several weeks, I'he had mild abdominal pain, intermitent, in lower left and center side (just above penis).

I've changed my diet, including fiber and eliminating fat. Abdominal pain has dissapeared, but I still have abdominal discomfort and variable stool shapes.

I'm 42 years old.
Could I have IBS with that symtoms?

Thanks a lot from a worried man.

[This message has been edited by Juan Jose Marin (edited 01-21-2003).]

Old 01-21-2003, 10:29 AM   #2

Juan Jose Marin HB User
I forget to to say that stools are easily passed, without any kind of esfort or pain.

Another thing: my first think was a colon/rectum obstruction due a cancer or similar, but facts appears to discard it, due I guess an obstruction cannot be intermitent, appearing and dissapearing in each BM. I think an obstruction is always there and stools must have always the same shape.

Unfortunately, my known in medicine are very low and I'm not absolutely sure of nothing. Only thing I certainly know is that I'm worried (and why not, very scared).

Greetings again :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

If you had an obstructoin, let me assure you that you would be in extreme pain, wound not be able to pass any stools and would be vomiting.

Sounds like IBS to me.

Old 01-21-2003, 08:32 PM   #4

dennie HB User
I agree with Sarah...it certainly could be IBS. The flat (ribbon like) could be from the intestinal spasms you might likely be having.

I was sitting here trying to remember the days when I never thought twice about my BMs..everyday, the same thing, no variety...I can still remember them, but..gosh, that was many,many years ago. LOL

I came across a cute (hopefully not offensive to anyone) description of a 'good' BM....and what a less than healthy digestive system might put out. The comparison was made in regards to the well-known "Bridge Mix" some of us might know and enjoy.

It was said that a good, healthy BM could be compared with a 'well-known candy bar'..somewhat uneven, but one smooth log(bar). Someone with diarrhea/constipation issues might have BMs more like 'Bridge Mix'.....some looking more like chocolate covered peanuts, mints, malt balls and the occasional almond or brazil nut.

So some of us chocaholics (and IBS sufferers) can recognize the similarities of the two..and hopefully feel more at ease that uncommon shaped and sized stools are somewhat the norm for us.

Old 01-22-2003, 02:31 AM   #5

Juan Jose Marin HB User
Thanks sarah68 and dennie for your reply. I've a new question:

Yesterday, I started to take Metamucil, and today my BM has been ver soft (almost loose), with a lot of mucus and something like brown gelatine. Mucus was as thick thas it was adhered to toilet paper.

Is it normal when taking Metamucil?

[This message has been edited by Juan Jose Marin (edited 01-22-2003).]

Old 01-22-2003, 05:51 AM   #6
Inactive

ashpie HB User
that's funn ybecause I've been taking metamucil for a few weeks and the same thing has been happening...my stool contains a brown jelly like substance...i know that the metamucil does become jelly like when the water mixes w/ it so maybe it's normal..

Old 01-22-2003, 06:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Yes, this is perfectly normal when you start Metamucil. It is your bowel cleaning itself out, so you would expect to get mucus.

It takes about two weeks for your system to get used to it fully, but when it does your bowels will settle down, although you may still get mucus.

Old 01-23-2003, 07:25 AM   #8

Juan Jose Marin HB User
After three days with Metamucil, all seems to be normalized. My stools are round again, and thicker (greater than 1", and growing - I hope not much, or I may have problems to pass them :-) ), mucus is almost dissapeared, but now I has a lot of flattulence. I hope it's still normal.

Old 01-23-2003, 08:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Gas is normal when you first start taking Metamucil. The bacteria in your intestines break it down and it ferments causing GAS but as your system gets use to it-----it'll go away. Just hang in there!!!
It's doing what it's suppose TO.

Harry

Closed Thread