It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2003, 11:03 AM   #1

zed HB User
Post itching & burning after bowel movement?

First time poster, so bare with me. I have had terrible itching & burning around my rectum after having an IBS bowel movement. On good days, when the fiber works, everything is a-ok, but on bad days (like today), I have scolding hot stools, all liquidy & yellow colored, & when finished it hurts too much to wipe. I have resorted to using a shower nozzle to clean myself instead of toilet paper. Then, for the rest of the day my bum itches for a few hours, then just settles into a constant burning sensation. When I am at work, I will sometimes grab some ice from the freezer & apply it to the area when I use the restroom. So, after explaing this in gross, embarrassing, grapic detail, can anyone empathize with my predicament? Also, I don't see too many guys out there with IBS? Any guys on the board that can relate to this? Any help is truly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2003, 11:10 AM   #2

chronic HB User
I'm not a guy, just made my first post today too, but I can relate to some of your symptoms when I'm going way too much. I really didn't want to admit it to myself but I've been thinking it might be a hemmeroid (sp?). Do you sometimes bleed when you wipe too much? I know symptoms of hemmeroids are itching and burning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2003, 11:42 AM   #3

zed HB User
Hey there, so your a 'newbie' too? Man, this is some embarrassing stuff to talk abt (if you could only see my face!!!), but I've never seen any blood, so its not a hemmoroid. I just started taking calcium with vitamin D, which is highly recommended on this board. I'm hoping that, with Citucel & acidophilus will help. I have gone the gluten free route before, but it didn't seem to matter. Trigger foods for me are cereals with malt, coffee, alcohol, nuts, raw vegetables, & more I seem to run into with each day. Stress is a big factor. I found out I will be losing my job is a few months, & ever since then I have not had a good bowel movement. I probably should go back to the doctor (again!!!) but right now just feel like he'll give me the same old run around.

Old 02-04-2003, 02:02 PM   #4

Vitara HB User
Cool

I am not a guy. However, I have experienced frequent burning with my IBS. I find that it occurs after eating something spicy (like hot wings). Occasionally there is blood when I wipe, but that can come from pushing too hard (know what I mean!). Sometimes during a BM the pain and cramping is so bad that I have to rock back and forth until it subsides. You could try Metamucil. I had good luck using it once daily, and it really helped make my BMs more regular with less unpleasant symptoms. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Vitara (edited 02-04-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Vitara (edited 02-04-2003).]

Old 02-05-2003, 09:14 PM   #5

Drea HB User
zed,

You should be able to ask your doctor for a lab test to find out if you are allergic to gluten, & your symptoms dont always show it, but, it is important to find out.

Also, when I had flareups (mostly from milk products or fatty foods, I avoid hot spices) I squirt the tissue with a mild lotion or petroleum jelly. That helps. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif)

Old 02-05-2003, 10:01 PM   #6

zed HB User
Thanks everyone for your replies. Since posting the topic, I have started taking Caltrate 600 twice a day (once in the morning & before bed w/food). I initially took it 3 times a day, but found that it actually made my stomach worse in higher doses. Anyone struggling with IBS (of the D variety) should definitely check out Caltrate, its made much difference in my life. I also take psyllium husk such as Metamucil, but I stick to the sugarless, plain flavor. I take this 3 times a day w/meals. I still have bad days, but lately I've been much better. I have been sticking to a gluten free diet as well, which seems to help. High fiber foods like black eyed peas, green peas, field peas mixed with brown rice is a good choice for me. Nothing too processed or I get sick again. Reading ingredients in everything, very cautious, but its paying off.

[This message has been edited by zed (edited 02-06-2003).]

Old 02-08-2003, 08:30 PM   #7

cindyandbob HB User
Zed, I had that problem for a long time (couple of years). It got worse and worse as time went on. I, too, thought it might be hemmoroids. It got so bad that I dreaded going to the bathroom and sometimes had to leave work and go soak in the tub for a few minutes relief.
I finally went to a proctologist. It is the most undignified exam but it saved me! I had an anal fissure. It is where the lining of your anus gets torn (usually due to a hard BM and stress). It itches and burns like a hot poker!!!! It is often mistaken as a hemmoroid because it hurts and itches in the same places as hemmoriods.
I had a very minor out patient surgical procedure and in less than a week I was a normal person again having normal BM's. The doctor suggested other things to try before the surgical procedure. We tried modifying my diet, tub soaks, Metamucil, to no avail so we opted for surgery.
It has changed my life!
Google anal fissure and you will be surprised at the boards and web sites committed to helping those with this unfortunate problem.
Good luck!
Cindy

"We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety, a hundred
years at the very most. During that period we must try to do
something good, something useful with our lives. Try to be at peace
with yourself and help others share that peace. If you contribute to
other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true
meaning of life."

~ The Dalai Lama

Old 02-08-2003, 11:06 PM   #8

darpinky HB User
Zed

I too have had that problem .. more times then I care to count.. Now the one thing I found that did help was patrolum jelly.. After the first bowel movement.. I use a bit of tissue and I put some on and then every other time I have more diahera. It seems to help the burning and the soreness, kinda like for babies keeping the stuff from contacting the skin. This works if your at home and able to use it.. Kinda hard to carry a jar with you at work to and from the bathroom.

I also found that crotozone cream helps some and well stuff for yeast infections. Those help with the itch. I know how horrible that can be.. like something is crawling around there.. Don't scratch if you can help it.. you'll only make it worse, picking up bacteria from under your nails and infecting the area.

Hope this helps some.

Darlene

[This message has been edited by darpinky (edited 02-09-2003).]

Old 02-09-2003, 12:50 PM   #9
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Zed...Never be emberassed ( i cant spell lol) My mother has Colitis and gets the itching and burning alot hers was an internal hemmroid but I am posting to tell you what worked for her. She was put on rectal anti inflamatories for awhile and used TUCKS they are wonderful for the external burning and itching. I used them when I had an emphisiotomy ( vaginal cut) in childbirth and they made the stiches stop itching and burning. They are like a baby wipe you can either use them to just wipe or pat yourself clean or leave them in your undies for more relief. I have bowel trouble myself but I dont think its IBS I had a barium xray and the result was a spastic bowel it flares up now and then. But seriously try the TUCKS they will made you feel better and ease the itching and burning. Good luck.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD...12 years
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured I hope)
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy due to endometrial bleeding after miscarriage (2002)
Hernia Repair(1998)
Apendectomy (infected) 1988
21 year old daughter born with Mullerian Aplasia
18 year old daughter bulimia survivor.
If I can help ANYONE with anything from a papercut to a life threatening illness, I will do my best just to be a friend. " A friend is someone who knows all your faults and loves you anyway".

Closed Thread