It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2003, 06:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

EddieDean HB User
Post Allergy meds irritate IBS?

Ever since August, my IBS has been almost completely unnoticable because I am taking Citracel capsules every other day. It's like my life is back to normal! However, I notice that when I take allergy medicines for sinus problems, it tends to act up again. I was on Allegra-D for awhile and that made me sick to my stomach. Recently I switched to Zyrtec which is fine, but I ran out of my dose and switched to a different Zyrtec pill and now I'm having problems again. Has anyone noticed that these pills can flare up IBS? Has anyone discovered one that works for sinuses, but doesn't bother your stomach? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-13-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
I have read that you have to be careful with anti-histamine type drugs with IBS. It has something to do with your throat/ esophagus and stomach. AS you know every drug and even foods have side-effects.

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2003, 01:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Why not try taking some alternatives for your allergies? Homeopathic remedies are great for this and they really do work without the side effects of the antihistamines.

Old 03-16-2003, 10:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

EddieDean HB User
Thanks for the suggestions! What types of homeopathic remedies do you suggest? I have tried some alternative medicine and haven't been at all successful, but would be willing to try a homeopathic approach if it helps!

Old 03-28-2003, 10:48 PM   #5

jinnybb HB User
Allegra D causes stomach problems for me as well (sour stomach and nausea mainly). However, Claritin and Claritin D never have. I've only met two people that have had problems with it and I've taken it for about six years now with no problems whatsoever and no additional aggravation of my IBS.

If you do try the Claritin D, try the 12 hour dose first to make sure it won't upset your system. Claritin D 24 seems to have a stronger effect during the first couple hours and is capable of getting your system into high gear. Regular Claritin (the tiniest pill) usually produces no adverse symptoms other than occasional dry mouth and headache. Check out their information on the web for the full story to help you with your decision.

[This message has been edited by jinnybb (edited 03-29-2003).]

Old 03-29-2003, 04:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Ok. It very much depends on what type of allergies you have, but if you have mainly a running nose that it sore and excoriating with some eye redness and soreness, then ALIUM CEPA could help. This is the onion. If you have mainly sore, itchy and red eyes with nose symptoms too then EUPHRASIA could be very helpful. This is also known as eyebright. If you have hayfever that causes you to have excoriating discharges and sneezing that are better for warm and makes you feel very chilly and you are thirstly for small sips of cold water, then ARSENICUM is a good remedy for this. It is also very good if you have breathing and asthma type problems with your allergies and if you are betting sitting up and bending over. If you have hive type reactions where you get very itchy skin that comes up in hives and trouble breathing that makes you feel angy, then APIS is a very useful remedy in this situation.

So the possible helpful remedies are ALIUM CEPA, EUPHRASIA, APIS and ARSENICUM. You can get them in any healthfood store and you should get them in a 6 or 30x potency and take them three times daily until symptoms reduce. If they do not make any difference after about two days, then try a different remedy. Let the tablets dissolve under your tongue.

By going to see a homeopath and getting constitutional treatment, it is possible to prevent these allergies occuring in the first place. By all means try the remedies that I have suggested, but do go and see a homeopath and get some proper constitutional treatment that will remove your tendency to get these allergies in the first place.

Good luck.

Closed Thread