It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2003, 05:06 PM   #1

thekid123 HB User
Post everyone with the "smell" problem

you know the problem where you always think your butt smells or somethin. i have the same problem. i know it sounds weird to those that dont have it. anyway i have a question for those have it. do you always have a persistent need to like FART? i do. im sitting there in a crowded movie theater or anything like that and always like some fart needs to come out but i try to hold it in but its impossible when it keeps comin back so some probably leaks out and people smell it. this always happens. i dont know how to stop it because it keeps coming back! i dont even know if its IBS or what but it seems my colon cant control when i can hold in gas or what not. my life is terrible because of this; people think i smell when its this stupid pr oblem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

Summer54 HB User
Re: everyone with the "smell" problem

I have the same problem now. Did you find out what the problem was at all? I need help :\

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
(female)

cinnamongirl_9 HB User

I am so sorry you have to deal with what you are going through. And, unfortunately, I can totally relate.

I was diagnosed with IBS quite some time ago, and no prescription medication or natural supplement or elimination diet has cured me, or even helped more than a little bit.

I'm fortunate I am a woman and can carry around a pocketbook, I don't know WHAT I'd do if I were a guy. I carry body spray with me EVERYWHERE. Not for my body, for the air around me. I smell up every room I ever go into! It's gross. Sometimes my underclothes smell like a dirty diaper.

I've had to postpone events because I'm just too smelly to be around people, which is a cryin' shame, and makes me feel really dirty and disgusting. Which I am not at all, like you said in your letter, it's this terrible problem.

Probiotics have helped with the excruciating pain. Eliminating wheat and dairy have helped somewhat with the bloating. But nothing has helped with this gas. I've had doctors and naturopaths tell me to eat less protein, eat less fruit, eat less fiber, eat more fiber, don't eat eggs. They donít' know.

Not that I'm happy in any way about your ailment. But I am sort of relieved to read about someone else with the same problem. I mean, I look normal, I act normal, and I'm sure you do too. We just have this secret, which sometimes isn't so secretive, like when someone sneaks into a room before I get to spray completely. I always wonder what they think. If it happens once, I guess the person could just think I had Mexican food for lunch or something. But if that same person smells an odor coming from my direction EVERY DAY... Hence the spray bottle. Itís funny, people always tell me my classroom (I'm a teacher) always smells so nice. Because I spray it with vanilla body spray a million times a day!

I wish I had the name of a magic pill for you, to make your problem disappear. If you ever find one yourself, please let us smelly people know about it!

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
(female)

Georgette HB User

I have heard about special liners for underwear that contain charcoal (I think!) which supposedly absorbs the smell of farts. They were created by a guy whose wife suffered from colitis. I don't know where you could even start to look for them - maybe ask a trusted doctor or pharmacist? Might be worth looking into.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
(female)

cinnamongirl_9 HB User

Thank you Georgette!! That is an awesome suggestion. You would think that I would have heard about them before from at least one of the multi-numerous gastrointestinal or naturopathic doctors I've been to over the years.

I'm searching the net as soon as I finish this note!

Old 03-25-2005, 07:50 AM   #6
(male)

JMSW6 HB User

I too have this problem and don't know what to do about it as nothing that is recommended ever seems to work. It has affected my life for several years and seemed to begin after a very stressful period of my life. What makes it more difficult is that there doesn't seem to be any recognition of any type of condition or disease and therefore no treatment. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
(female)

cinnamongirl_9 HB User

I ordered my very first Flat-D! They are charcoal liners you put in your underwear- to absorb any unwanted odors BEFORE the rest of the world gets a wiff. It may sound drastic, but I'm sort of desperate. If it works as well as the site claims it does, I'll let everyone know.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
(male)

CuredIBS HB User

Try Primal defence from Garden of life, eat less, drink perfect food and goatein powder every morning for breakfast. Your intestines are overfilled with "bad" bacteria and you need to overhall it with "good" bacteria. You can cure yourself. I hope you get well soon.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
(female)

fridayrough HB User

I would like to know if anyone with the smell problem has been told that they smell or just think that they smell. I have a son with this problem but I have never smelled him. He also has obsessive compulsive disorder so I think that it is part of his obsession. Please tell me if anyone else has this problem

Old 04-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
(female)

midwestmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuredIBS
Try Primal defence from Garden of life, eat less, drink perfect food and goatein powder every morning for breakfast. Your intestines are overfilled with "bad" bacteria and you need to overhall it with "good" bacteria. You can cure yourself. I hope you get well soon.

Please give more details about what you've mentioned trying here. Who/what/where/how????

Old 04-22-2005, 12:22 PM   #11
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: being told that they "smell"

Hi fridayrough,

There are it seems, some cases where IBS sufferers have a heightened sensation of smell, and so it is possible that they feel they smell, while others do not feel the same.

On the other hand, there is a genuine problem where it is difficult as an IBS sufferer to smell "good" because it is the source of a lot of excess gas which is released. The other problem might just be that the due to IBS the sufferer's composition of stools are such that they emit odour, even if it is only in very small quantity. Another fact is if you suffer from rectal bleeding you can be giving off odours because of the blood. There are several possibilities as you can see. (and more unlisted reasons for the same).

So, while it is possible for the occasional imagined problem - there are many avenues for an IBS sufferer to actually have the problem - (confirmed by others too).

It is also not uncommon to suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder if you suffer from IBS - I suffer occasionally from it as well. I believe that it is a side effect of IBS.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:48 PM   #12
(female)

Bonita123 HB User

I am very curious, did those charcoal liners help at all? I have the same problem and was hoping they are the answer..

Closed Thread