It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2003, 09:27 AM   #1

Frustrated1 HB User
Post Length of IBS attacks

Based on the your experiences, how long do your attacks normally last.
By this I mean,
1) How long do your BM last?
2) How long after a BM do you feel "bad"?

I was also wondering if the same problem can occur with eggs?

Old 05-21-2003, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi frustrated. I'm unclear in your posts if your "attacks" mean pain, bloating, diarrhea or something else? Please be more specific about what your IBS flare-up symptoms are so that we can give you suggestions. IBS affects everyone in different ways so we need to know how it affects you.

Thanks,
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2003, 04:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

When my problems were at their worst, I had a bad stomach for about 5 days in a row.

Also, during that time I think I had several episodes where I had to sit on the toilet from anything between 45 mins to an hour because I just could not stop going. I think at the time I also had a stomach virus which did not help, but by that time my bowel was so inflammed and my belly was so sore that once I sat on the toilet to go I could not stop and it took between 45 mins to an hour to be able to stop going.

I would not really wish that on anyone, but luckily I have come through that phase now and do not have problems anymore.

Old 05-23-2003, 03:45 AM   #4

Frustrated1 HB User
Thanks for your response. For others who may have been confused by my post.

By an attack, I mean the actual BM. I guess an attack may be a little strong, but it feels my body is uprising against me.

I mean is how long does it take to develop symptoms such as bloating, gas, diaherra. My systems develops symptoms from am almost instanteous response such as within 30 minutes to s several hours.

IN regards to my second question, Once you have completed your series of bowel movements have ceased, how long does it take for you to feel normal. To be more specific, when does the bloating, joint pain, or the general sense of weakness dissipate.

it would be also interesting to know whether the development of symptoms always leads to a BM or just gas and bloating.

I realize that IBS runs the gambit of symptoms, but I have noticed that some of my attacks can last a couple of hours where others can last up to couple of days.

Thanks,

Old 05-23-2003, 07:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi again frustrated. Welcome the wonderful world of IBS. Symptoms and length of symptoms can vary day to day and from individual to individual. That's the unfortunate part of IBS. Sometimes when you think you've got it all figured out, it changes again!

When I was having my diarrhea attacks (now under control with Colestid), I sometimes had to make 4-5 runs to the bathroom within a 20 minute time period. Other times, I'd sit on the pot for 15-20 minutes with diarrhea and then be done for the day.

I still get cramps and bloating that last anywhere from a few minutes until I defecate, or all day no matter if I eliminate or not. So there you go ~ the inconsistency of IBS.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Old 06-03-2003, 07:46 AM   #6

Frustrated1 HB User
Thanks for your responses. I am just going out of my mind about what to do. It has been very embarrasing when I have to excuse myself to have a BM. A lot of times it will come out of nowhere, I have had to case an outside place to ensure that a bathroom is within reachso incase something happens I can have a quick escape route.

Old 06-07-2003, 02:46 PM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Frustrated,

When my IBS was acive, there was a dull pain in the lower left quadrant day and night 24/7.
The actual BM's were explosive and usually could be counted in seconds (INCLUDING the run to the bathroom).

Old 06-07-2003, 03:30 PM   #8

Frustrated1 HB User
Does the pain preclude your BM or does it persist even after your BM has passed.

I have found even after a BM I have a general sense of fatigue that can last for days. Second, I have some severe headaches and lightheadness.

I too have had "explosive" BM which can last seconds. These are very very troubling because these can hit out of nowhere. These have really curtailled my social interactions which I have had it happen during really important gatherings.

Thanks

Closed Thread