It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2003, 10:09 AM   #1
(male)

chriscwharris HB User
Post IBS and leg pain?

I've been having IBS related problems for a few months according to my gp. Today I have extreme backache in my lower/mid left side of back along with pain in my left leg that goes all the way from the hip down.

I've also got pain in the groin on the left side? Can pressure in the stomach or intestine press on nerves that cause this pain? It's very unfcomfortable and keeps me awake.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2003, 11:54 AM   #2

luvbug HB User
I have ulcerative colitis and sometimes when my left side hurts , I feel kind of a pain sensation down my left leg.I ONLY have it when I have the pain in my lower left side. I asked my doctor about this and she didn't know WHAT I was talking about...(in other words, she looked at me like I was crazy).

I believe you though, and maybe if you tell YOUR doctor, they won't look at you like you're from another planet! LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
(female)

lno HB User
Lightbulb

I can't believe I'm reading this. I posted a long time ago re ain in my back & didn't get much response. I, too, talked w/my GP re: pain in my back, buttock that radiated down my leg. He did not know what it was from??? I had a CT, MRI, showing nothing. The only thing he could tell me was somehow it could be related to my IBS. Well, after a couple of months it went away, only to return again w/my most recent episode of IBS. It's on my left side, awakens me around 4 or 5, get up, go the bathroom & believe it or not I have a bm, the pain improves. I'm figuring it's a full colon causing pressure on a nerve. I read up on siatic & it could be that nerve is sensative to pressure. So, in answer to your question, I do have the same thing associated w/IBS. It would not seem out of line w/IBS. All of us seem to have differing symptoms w/our IBS & this I figure is part of mine. I take Ibuprophen or asprin which seems to help. I'm sorry you are having this problem, however, somewhat releaved as someone else is presenting w/similar symptoms. Do you have diarrhea? I do & I'm sure the back/leg pain has something to do with this. Keep me posted on how you are doing. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Old 03-31-2003, 03:06 PM   #4
(female)

lno HB User
I don't know how that face got in there w/the tongue out. Must have hit a key I didn't know about.!!!

At any rate, GOD BLESS US ALL.

Old 03-31-2003, 05:04 PM   #5

broncosfan HB User
I also get this when the lower left portion of my bowel is acting up. The sciatic nerve is in that region, and I would guess that's probably the cause.

Old 03-31-2003, 11:44 PM   #6
(male)

chriscwharris HB User
I'm not alone! Well the pain has eased off a little today although when I woke up I felt terrible. I seem to have developed quite bad breath and taste in my mouth in the last week or so aswell, possibly related to my stomach problems?

Does anyone else get headaches and generally feeling pretty tired?

With Ulcerative Colitis do you get other symptoms that mark it out from IBS? How did you know you had UC and not just IBS?

Old 04-01-2003, 11:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
>>>Post: pain in my back, buttock that radiated down my leg. He did not know what it was from??? I had a CT, MRI, showing nothing. <<<

From my experience with the wonderful world of IBS and colon surgery I have found that having a colon spasm, which backs up the colon, is the source of much disharmony in a spastic gut. Assuming of course ones problems is the spastic gut variety of problem.
Which is pretty common. It can get to be a serious condition but it's a common serious problem especially with women.( a whole other topic)
CT scans and MRI's won't show anything.
There are NO TESTS to diagnose the ever destructive gut grip. The doctors make the diagnosis by grouping symptoms and taking a stab in the dark and making an educated call.
They put the symptoms together and see if they fit what is called the Rome Criteria for diagnosing Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The key here is that it's a syndrome which means it would carry a grouping of "symptoms" rather than organic pathology which would then make it Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD)
There's good medicine for those pains.
Gastroenterologists and family practitioners alkie will prescribe medication for making the pain better.

post>>>I seem to have developed quite bad breath and taste in my mouth in the last week or so aswell, possibly related to my stomach problems?
Does anyone else get headaches and generally feeling pretty tired? <<<

Uh oh! Bad Breath and headaches might mean you are a bit more backed up than what might be considered normal slow.
I had that recently.
Last night to be specific.
It had been going on for a while even though I was having every day bowel movements that felt like full evacuation.
I ran around for a couple of weeks with increasing left side pain and worsening headaches and went to see a few other Doctors who all scratched their heads and then poof! there goes the grip gut and I had a huge toilet trauma and emerged form the disaster TEN POUNDS LIGHTER!!!! It was Bad, bad, bad.
I almost went to the hospital except that I have a ton of medicine at home which the Doctor talked us through over the phone.
I thought I was getting fat.
What a shock.
Even for me who lives with the ever changeable and medically demanding irritable bowel.

post>>>I believe that there is a link between Fibromyalgia and IBS<<<

Fibromyalgia, being an autoimmine disease is linked to a lot of things.
Especially for women.
IBS is one of the problems that falls into the company of other syndromes and other syndromes which more times than sometimes, fall into company with autoimmune disorders.
It's really quite fascinationg how these problems group and manifest.

Old 04-02-2003, 05:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Having IBS with predominantly constipation can cause sciatica. When constipated, this can cause compression or trapping of the sciatic nerve and you can very well have lower back pain in the lumbar region that spreads down the side of the hip and to the side of the knee and behind it and sometimes as far down as the calf and into the foot. These are the classic symptoms of sciatica and it can be cause by either an inflammation or a compression of the nerve, but in the case of IBS, it would be more likely to be compression.

Old 04-02-2003, 08:36 AM   #9
(male)

chriscwharris HB User
thanks all for the replies, I think it's likely that the pressure has been pressing on the sciatic nerve which has caused the lower back and leg pain. Not sure if there's much I can do about it... hope it doesn't have any long term effect.

On the plus side, my blood results are back and didn't show anything unusual. I'm assuming that I can not worry about UC or other serious problems at the moment!

Old 04-02-2003, 09:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

If your bloods were ok, then it is unlikely that you have UC. If you did, then your blood tests for have at least shown a raised Sed rate and white cell count, which would account for the inflammation and infection of uc.

If you have constipation mainly, then you need to address this issue to prevent the back pain and sciatica. If you can treat the cause, then you have more chance of solving the problem.

Also, I would consider acupuncture treatment. Acupuncture is very good and effective for low back pain and sciatica with pain down the sides and the back of the hip and legs being the Gallbladder and Bladder Meridians respectively.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2003, 12:54 PM   #11

sestus HB User
OMG!! I have been searching all over to see if anyone else had this issue. I usually get this pain in my hip and it sometimes radiates down my leg and up into my flank. I figured it was due to my colon being in the 'grip of death'.
Misery loves company!!!

Old 06-10-2003, 03:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

As I said before, pain like this is called sciatica and is normally caused by either an inflammation of the sciatic nerve or compression of the nerve. If you are predominantly constipated, then compression of the nerve is more likely.

Work on the constipation and this will probably relieve the sciatica.

Good luck

Closed Thread