It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2003, 11:07 AM   #1

phxgem HB User
Post So glad for this site!

What did we do before the internet? I am so glad to have found this site. My son is in the middle of all the xrays and tests, but so far, everything is pointing to ulcerative colitis (Crohns is not yet ruled out). This forum seems to be mostly adults, but the childrens health forum does not seem to be covering this.
Kel has had problems since he was about 7 years old, we had actually gotten control over the stomache aches by having him eat some papaya enzyme tablets prior to meals, and it really really helped. But all of a sudden the bottom has dropped out (that is not a joke). This poor kid is in the bathroom up to 15 times a day, and is losing lots of blood. He has lost 15 pounds in 2 months, this at an age where he should be gaining 15 pounds a week!! The family doctor is wonderful and has gotten us started on all the xrays, so that when we finally get to the gastroenter. we have all the info necessary. The bad part is, that even though he is pretty seriously suffering, we could not get an appointment for a month (and they squeezed us into that one!). Normally, it takes 3-6 months for a pediatric gastro appointment.
The first thing we do no matter where we go, is locate the bathroom. We are getting ready to go on vacation, and are having to schedule our time knowing we will be having alot of down time using restrooms!
All his life, whenever it came time to do anything, he would race to the bathroom first - we always thought it was an avoidance issue - you know, he didn't want to do what we were asking him to do, whether it was homework, or housework, etc. Now I know better.
My main concern right now is that he will be going back to school in the fall, and what 8th grader wants to be racing to the bathroom all day?
Currently the doctor has him on prednisone, and flagyl - if anyone has any suggestions as to anything we can try - we are soooo willing to do so.
Thanks for being out there in cyberland -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2003, 08:01 PM   #2
(female)

SuzyQPA2 HB User
what a shame for your poor son when i was younger my friend had Crohns, she missed A LOT of school. I never really understood much about it, she was pretty shy about talking about it and we didn't have the internet then like now to look it up.
Her Doctor actually made her life worse by telling her parents she was just anorexic and hyper.
She almost died because he failed to diagnose her properly.
I remember that diet and low stress were very important but her parents weren't the best or nutrituous of cooks and her mother was a great source of stress to her.
She ended up in intensive care again and having a part of her colon removed while in graduate school. (She has an ostomy)
She's doing very well now, i think she's learned to eat better and balance her life better and she has a son.
You may want to think about home schooling your son for the year if it's possible until you can get it under control. He won't be taking much in in class if he's not there most of the time and it just may bring on stresses that aggravate his condition.

My friend that had Crohns went through enormous pain every time she had to have a bowel movement and it would take forever.

Does your son have Diarreah? Do you have him on the BRAT diet? You can ease his digestive system by removing wheat products and adding more rice products.
I'm sure you can find a lot of information, more qualified repliers on ulcerative colitis and crohns ;-)

Have the doctors ruled out any other causes of his distress? I hate it when they pigeonhole someone's condition without extensive testing.

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2003, 01:09 PM   #3

phxgem HB User
Thanks for your reply.
The doctors are still testing, and he has yet to see the gastroenterologist. I am fortunate to have a good g.p. that seems knowledgeable enough to help while we wait for g.e. appointment. I will search for diets, etc. It's nice to know others are out there.

Old 06-26-2003, 06:31 PM   #4
(female)

SuzyQPA2 HB User
You may want to give him some metamucil smooth daily if he has diarreah. Although i'm not sure.

How's he doing? Is the Flagyl helping him any? It stopped my diarreah cold. What's the dosage? I'm on 500mg 2x day.

You aren't giving him anything raw right? like fruit or salad and no milk. He can drink goat milk, soy milk or rice milk.

Old 06-26-2003, 06:33 PM   #5
(female)

SuzyQPA2 HB User
p.s. you should post also in bowel disorders.

Old 07-02-2003, 09:42 AM   #6

sestus HB User
As a 'new' IBS sufferer this site has helped me a lot. I have been diagnosed with the ever elusive IBS. Lots of sites say that IBS does not cause weight loss but I lost 10 lbs. in two months because of it.
Keep after the GI docs. It takes forever and a day to get an appt. I called them everyother day to see if they had an opening!!!

Closed Thread