It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 07:54 PM   #1

cornoil423 HB User
Post some helpful hints

I just found this site after suffering from IBS for almost two years. I am 22 years old and about to graduate college with an Education degree. I first began having tummy troubles and after two weeks, went to the doctors. I had a colonoscopy done and they found that my colon was twisted twice around (it is too long for my body), so they untwisted it. After a week, my diarrhea had not gone away, so they diagnosed me as having IBS. (This was Sept. 11, 2001, also the day my fiance was sent overseas... - I learned quickly that stress triggers IBS).

I have struggled thru two years of college with IBS, scheduling late classes and making no early morning committments, in fear of a stomach flair up. I am scared to death about my upcoming internship which starts at 7am each day. But that's a whole other story...

I have found a few things that help. First, I cut out dairy products. Not all, just milk and ice cream which I find to bother me the most. Second, I cut out caffeine totally. It is a stimulant which causes the colon to spasm, causing bouts of diarrhea. I also take Equalactin twice a day. Wal-Mart sells it over the counter for about six bucks a box which lasts over a month. It is a calcium/fiber supplement which works for both loose stools and constipation. It equals out the water balance in the colon. And lastly, and possibly the most amazingly strange thing that has helped is coconut. I read about it in some health magazine and figured I'd try it. I eat one piece of coconut before I go to bed and it has helped for almost 3 months now. I still get the occassional flair up, especially around my period (due to hormones), but generally have been better. It is a simple fix, and one definitely worth the try.

I am just married over a year and feel horrible for my husband, always looking for a bathroom, and always having to wait to go somewhere because "my stomach doesn't feel right." I can't possibly imagine standing up in front of my future classroom in front of teenagers and having to run to the bathroom! I too get the panic attacks in the mornings when I know I have "something" to do or "somewhere" to go. It's horribly embarrassing and frustrating and am tired of feeling like I can't go anywhere. I am a small person to begin with, and lose more weight after each flair up. I just want to be normal again!

Sorry this ended up being so long - it is just nice to know that there are others out there with this! Thanks for listening!

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2003, 09:23 AM   #2

adso HB User
Yep youre certainly not alone, that in itself is very comforting. Its funny, after seeing this website, I look around at work (I work in a big call centre) and notice several other people who are probably having the exact same IBS problem.

Dont feel guilty though! I guess I dont know what its like from the other partners point of view. But my partner seems to just express concern for my suffering (which is appreciated). It might be a little awkward for them, but I imagine they are simply quite relieved that they are not the one suffering.

Feeling guilty would surely just contribute more stress and worsen your symptoms....

Closed Thread